World AIDS Day

Lucky

December 1 is the day set aside to remember the AIDS crisis and those we lost to the disease. I lived through that time and thought that we would never forget, but it seems now to be just a blip in people's memories and maybe not there at all for the younger gays.

For me, it's an important day, and that's why I bring it up. A gay-oriented website with no mention of it would seem a shame.

th?id=OIF.3N7YxGy%252bw5u9%252bOhksI%252

Check what I found! The image captures a moment from the year 1984, during a public demonstration held at Parque Lezama in Buenos Aires, Argentina. In this photograph, I am #4. Each person depicted in this snapshot played an active role in the Grupo de Acción Gay, an organization in Argentina that closely paralleled some ideals of Act Up.

Regrettably, several of our dear friends from that era fell victim to the devastating AIDS pandemic, a somber reminder of the challenges we faced. 

I extend my heartfelt gratitude to @Lucky for affording us this opportunity to pay tribute to their memory. Additionally, I would like to take a moment to honor two intellectual figures who provided us with profound inspiration during those times: Nestor Perlongher and Michel Foucault. 

GAGparquelezama.thumb.png.9e2f0ba3041345f461fe0365024d1956.png

I too lived throughout that period and lost many friends to AIDs. But time moves on and the treatment of the HIV infection has radically changed the outlook for those fortunate to have access to proper medications and follow the regimen.

Since younger people face a different situation than those of us did in the 1980's not only with respect to treatment but also PreP which mitigates chances of infection, I think we need to recast the way we memorialize the victims of AIDs and try to educate the current younger generation of gay men. 

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I too lived throughout that period and lost many friends to AIDs. But time moves on and the treatment of the HIV infection has radically changed the outlook for those fortunate to have access to proper medications and follow the regimen.

Since younger people face a different situation than those of us did in the 1980's not only with respect to treatment but also PreP which mitigates chances of infection, I think we need to recast the way we memorialize the victims of AIDs and try to educate the current younger generation of gay men. 

I think we also have to reeducate some of the friends in our generation, who despite all scientific advances still think preservatives are the only way to have safe sex. I am understanding, though, because I can relate to how traumatic the first years of the pandemic were. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:57 PM, José Soplanucas said:

I am understanding, though, because I can relate to how traumatic the first years of the pandemic were. 

I was a teenager during the AIDS crisis and just coming in to my sexual adventures. So there was never a point in my life where unprotected sex was an option. I see no reason be be re-educated about that.

On 11/30/2023 at 6:57 PM, José Soplanucas said:

I think we also have to reeducate some of the friends in our generation, who despite all scientific advances still think preservatives are the only way to have safe sex. I am understanding, though, because I can relate to how traumatic the first years of the pandemic were. 

Me too, tough days of uncertainty.

I'll follow your example honoring those who educated us about it and also demanded funding for research!

Interesting article in the Daily Mail (yes, a bit of a gossip rag) stating that the HIV infection rate in the zip codes of Miami Beach and Wilton Manor has shot up four times the national average. They stated this was a recent increase, not just the regular statistics. Young folks have forgotten, or never learned, about the horrors of AIDS in the last two decades of the twentieth century. Current medical advances are wonderful but make us all more nonchalant about the disease, which still does not have a "cure."