Share your Holiday Decorations!

ICTJOCK

The holidays are here!  Time to share your holiday decorations with the rest of us. We got a literal 2 inch snow today (more than last year combined).  Highly unusual for southern Kansas.  Was able to complete much of my outdoor decorating yesterday.  Wanted to share several photos.  Have an awesome holiday season!

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

4 minutes ago, ICTJOCK said:

The holidays are here!  Time to share your holiday decorations with the rest of us. We got a literal 2 inch snow today (more than last year combined).  Highly unusual for southern Kansas.  Was able to complete much of my outdoor decorating yesterday.  Wanted to share several photos.  Have an awesome holiday season!

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

Your Christmas decorations look great!  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays 🎄

I understand why retail stores put up their Christmas decorations weeks before the holiday but never understood why people started following the retail season instead of the actual Yuletide calendar.

My family always decorated for Christmas  on the week of the Solstice and kept the decor until Three Kings Day which is 12 days after Christmas Eve.

Now I see people decorating even before Thanksgiving and tossing their tree in the garbage the day after Christmas day.

Basically decorating long before the holiday and then ONLY celebrating for ONE of the 12 days. This mimics the retailers and ignores the actual holiday !

It's as if no one remembers how Christmas works any more.

Strange, and sad.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I understand why retail stores put up their Christmas decorations weeks before the holiday but never understood why people started following the retail season instead of the actual Yuletide calendar.

My family always decorated for Christmas  on the week of thr Solstice and kept the decor until Three Kings Day which is 12 days after Christmas Eve.

Now I see people decorating even before Thanksgiving and tossing their tree in the garbage the day after Christmas day.

Basically decorating long before the holiday and then only celebrating for one of the 12 days. This mimics the retailers and ignores the actual holiday.

Strange, and sad.

I put up my decorations at the start of December, and take them down 12 days after December 25 (January 6).  As a child we took them down on New Year's Day, but as an adult I enjoy celebrating the full 12 days of Christmas.

wow, @ICTJOCK , that first one looks like it could be on a Xmas card (except for the pesky car in the way!).......great shot with the snow falling and all......the practical picture evaluator in me wonders, though, what that one strip of no snow is from?!....did you scrape a path to take the picture?......or to get to the mailbox?....thanks for the pictures

21 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

wow, @ICTJOCK , that first one looks like it could be on a Xmas card (except for the pesky car in the way!).......great shot with the snow falling and all......the practical picture evaluator in me wonders, though, what that one strip of no snow is from?!....did you scrape a path to take the picture?......or to get to the mailbox?....thanks for the pictures

Hey Scott,  the "strip"  you referenced is the lower concrete area of the cul de sac  (in place of a curb).   It carries melting  water and it was melting.    My boyfriend is in Illinois and he left his Mustang in my drive.    Hope you had a great holiday weekend.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

My family always decorated for Christmas  on the week of the Solstice and kept the decor until Three Kings Day which is 12 days after Christmas Eve.

Basically decorating long before the holiday and then ONLY celebrating for ONE of the 12 days. This mimics the retailers and ignores the actual holiday !

Strange, and sad.

I generally start the process the day after Thanksgiving.   But I agree,  we had quite a number of houses decorated prior to Thanksgiving.

33 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I put up my decorations at the start of December, and take them down 12 days after December 25 (January 6).  As a child we took them down on New Year's Day, but as an adult I enjoy celebrating the full 12 days of Christmas.

As a child my mother talked about January 6th and the significance.    We generally took our decorations down on January 1 or 2 growing up,  but my mother left the decorations on the hutch until January 6.   I have the hutch now and the same major decorations and the tradition continues.   I take them down post January 6.    I remember my mother saying that she started that tradition in 1964 as a newlywed,  so it was long before I was born.   Quite the tradition.