Deposits and pushiness

borgerback

On 11/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, blck37 said:

80% of my booking are with traveling providers, never once they asked for deposit (to date). Only instance was request from one of the 20% (who is local) and I got scammed. Dude never turn up. I only do outcall so there is never any financial risk for provider to book hotel room etc.

Separately, I am a bit confused with your method of determining loss. Loss of opportunity (whish is indirect in nature) is not the same with monetary direct loss. The former is highly contestable, but not the latter.

It sounds like you have only dealt with 5 providers then? If out of those 5, only 1 didn’t turn up. That wouldn’t quite speak for the throngs of other providers out there that are advertising, correct? Therefore it’s not quite possible to equate your experience as a hypothesis in the big scheme of things. You just happened to contact 5 guys, and 1 who asked a deposit didn’t show. And since he was local, you could provide the local area City that is. That would determine whether it’s a high chance of that happening.

Just like I said: for every one (1) no show you can name, I could name 10. 

As for part 2, technically a missed (or flaked) client opportunity IS monetary loss. If I’m expecting to earn something based on a client contacting about a booking, and that client flakes/ghosts/suddenly doesn’t reply back: that’s $200-$400 that I thought I might be getting, that I wouldn’t. And that has a direct effect on my earning for that week.

So my solution now: I don’t want to know, if it’s not happening. Show me the money and send a deposit, or pay something and we can do a consultation 1 on 1 privately, undivided attention. Boom. Issue resolved. 

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

It's unfortunate that with all this "educational" material some people never learn that their contempt is the resaon why they arent successful.

Not assuming you’re directing that at me but: I just made nearly $500 over the weekend, and non of it was from meeting clients directly. 

It’s nothing to do with contempt or animosity. It’s moreso about setting boundaries, being innovative, being willing to think outside the box and do what’s best for the greater good of one’s biz and well being…not be persuaded or intimidated by antidotes suggesting since others don’t do something: I should do the same...at my peril.

I’ve agreed to see clients too many times without a deposit, and got stood up too many times. Those days are over. I’m looking forward and towards the future 🚀 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

4 minutes ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

It sounds like you have only dealt with 5 providers then? If out of those 5, only 1 didn’t turn up. That wouldn’t quite speak for the throngs of other providers out there that are advertising, correct? Therefore it’s not quite possible to equate your experience as a hypothesis in the big scheme of things. You just happened to contact 5 guys, and 1 who asked a deposit didn’t show. And since he was local, you could provide the local area City that is. That would determine whether it’s a high chance of that happening.

Just like I said: for every one (1) no show you can name, I could name 10. 

As for part 2, technically a missed (or flaked) client opportunity IS monetary loss. If I’m expecting to earn something based on a client contacting about a booking, and that client flakes/ghosts/suddenly doesn’t reply back: that’s $200-$400 that I thought I might be getting, that I wouldn’t. And that has a direct effect on my earning for that week.

So my solution now: I don’t want to know, if it’s not happening. Show me the money and send a deposit, or pay something and we can do a consultation 1 on 1 privately, undivided attention. Boom. Issue resolved. 

It might be my bad english but i honestly have no idea how you would interpret i had only met with 5 providers in total. If i say 80% of my profit is from online customers and 20% from offline, does it mean i only have 5 customers in total? Or rather mean I have X amount (undetermined given no facts given) of customers, 800% of X are online and 20% of X are offline. Well math is not my strong point anyway.

Surely you can argue so, but highly contestable and prone to argument. There is a reason why immaterial loss is hella tricmy to prove before court. If go by your logic, most businesses would have to book those not success fee proposal/ quotations as 'loss' - wow i dont think any business would be able make profit that way. My department alone would have incurred millions $ loss in non-succesful fee proposal in a matter of few months.

But hey, its your personal business, do what you like.

1 hour ago, blck37 said:

It might be my bad english but i honestly have no idea how you would interpret i had only met with 5 providers in total. If i say 80% of my profit is from online customers and 20% from offline, does it mean i only have 5 customers in total? Or rather mean I have X amount (undetermined given no facts given) of customers, 800% of X are online and 20% of X are offline. Well math is not my strong point anyway.

Surely you can argue so, but highly contestable and prone to argument. There is a reason why immaterial loss is hella tricmy to prove before court. If go by your logic, most businesses would have to book those not success fee proposal/ quotations as 'loss' - wow i dont think any business would be able make profit that way. My department alone would have incurred millions $ loss in non-succesful fee proposal in a matter of few months.

But hey, it’syour personal business, do what you like.

spacer.png

Regardless: that 1 local guy you sent a deposit to had nothing to do with a deposit, considering you said everyone else you met were traveling providers. It was likely moreso because it was a local guy who probably would have jipped you with or without a deposit.