Ogunquit Maine

readyfortheride

For the last 30 years Ogunquit has grown straighter and older. Young gays just don't go there. It's a combination of money and culture. It is still welcoming and safe. Let's face it, the remaining gay destinations skew older. I promise not to complain about Fort Lauderdale because I'll miss it if it goes away!

3 hours ago, Snbrd said:

For the last 30 years Ogunquit has grown straighter and older. Young gays just don't go there. It's a combination of money and culture. It is still welcoming and safe. Let's face it, the remaining gay destinations skew older. I promise not to complain about Fort Lauderdale because I'll miss it if it goes away!

So many younger gays say they are simply priced out of the former big-name gay destinations and can find so many fun alternatives that don't cost as much to stay in or to get to.

2 hours ago, Wanderoz said:

So many younger gays say they are simply priced out of the former big-name gay destinations and can find so many fun alternatives that don't cost as much to stay in or to get to.

In addition, I also think that now there are many competing destinations. Many have realized that there's gay "something" weeek, big bash, cruise, etc., in more affordable places. I haven't been to an American "gay destination" in ages. The world has many other places to go, many that are more affordable.

10 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Years ago New Hope was very gay. Has that changed?

New Hope and gentrified Lambertville NJ across the old iron bridge over the Delaware still have sizable gay populations and are very gay-friendly; however, only The Cub Room in New Hope remains. Like Laguna Beach, the area’s real estate values have skyrocketed and many residents have been priced out. When I was in college, it was booming with at least 2 gay clubs and maybe two more bars. Although not exclusively gay, the historic Swan Hotel in Lambertville was a fabulous old bar, with two great seating areas. The co-owner was gay and an art teacher at a nearby prep school. He invited a best friend and me to his very cool house one night after closing and regaled us with stories about the Chez Odette and Rive Gauche days on the River. Great memories. The clubs and Sunday tea parties drew big crowds from New York and Philly, not to mention nearby Bucks County, where I lived growing up. I have great memories of those days— going over to Lambertville for dinner and drinks since the NJ legal drinking age then was 18 and then winding up at The Raven before heading home. The New Hope Diner a few hundred yards away was 100% gay from 2 am to dawn.

4 hours ago, Pensant said:

New Hope and gentrified Lambertville NJ across the old iron bridge over the Delaware still have sizable gay populations and are very gay-friendly; however, only The Cub Room in New Hope remains. Like Laguna Beach, the area’s real estate values have skyrocketed and many residents have been priced out. When I was in college, it was booming with at least 2 gay clubs and maybe two more bars. Although not exclusively gay, the historic Swan Hotel in Lambertville was a fabulous old bar, with two great seating areas. The co-owner was gay and an art teacher at a nearby prep school. He invited a best friend and me to his very cool house one night after closing and regaled us with stories about the Chez Odette and Rive Gauche days on the River. Great memories. The clubs and Sunday tea parties drew big crowds from New York and Philly, not to mention nearby Bucks County, where I lived growing up. I have great memories of those days— going over to Lambertville for dinner and drinks since the NJ legal drinking age then was 18 and then winding up at The Raven before heading home. The New Hope Diner a few hundred yards away was 100% gay from 2 am to dawn.

Sic transit gloria mundi. (I always thought Gloria Mundi would be a great name for a drag queen.)