US National Parks a part of this Forum?

ICTJOCK

"Museums"  can mean a variety and I'd like our US National Parks to be included as a point of discussion.     We have some incredible parks across the US and as avid traveler,  would be nice to be able to ask questions about a specific park.      To the moderators,  if this is allowed,  can you alter the topic head to include  "Museums and National Parks"?      Or a separate category on National Parks.    Thanks very much.

This is a great idea. I love the US National Park System. Try to visit one annually and usually tie it with a work trip. Have been to Grand Canyon (the Maverick Helicopter tours from LV are fantastic), Bryce and Zion multiple times, Cedar Breaks, Dinosaur, Great Basin, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain, Glacier, Mt Rainier, Volcanoes, Olympic, Arches.  I'm sure I'm missing some. I see a lot of Europeans and Asians but not too many Americans at these parks. Once I saw a crazy Swiss granny scale a little cliff at Valley of Fire. As a Canadian, would love to see more of Canada though ... hopefully in the future. Going to see the Wave (won the permit lottery after trying 5 times) at the Buttes in September and staying at Camp Sarika for the 2nd time as a reward to myself (second visit - first was when i took advantage of their pandemic pricing and now the price is double). Hotel pricing nowadays can be a separate topic... arrgh.

Edited by cany10011

A number of years ago I bought the Golden Age Passport, which gives free entrance to the holder (and anyone else in their vehicle) to all the National Parks and anyplace else in the government net (Fish and Wildlfe, Forest Service, etc.), because I visited parks so often. It is good for life, but one has to be age 62 or over to purchase it. I have used it all over the country, from Acadia to the Everglades to the Badlands to Olympic to Joshua Tree, and many in between. It's particularly useful if you have visitors whom you want to take to see a park near you.

1 hour ago, cany10011 said:

This is a great idea. I love the US National Park System. Try to visit one annually and usually tie it with a work trip. Have been to Grand Canyon (the Maverick Helicopter tours from LV are fantastic), Bryce and Zion multiple times, Cedar Breaks, Dinosaur, Great Basin, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain, Glacier, Mt Rainier, Volcanoes, Olympic, Arches.  I'm sure I'm missing some. I see a lot of Europeans and Asians but not too many Americans at these parks. Once I saw a crazy Swiss granny scale a little cliff at Valley of Fire. As a Canadian, would love to see more of Canada though ... hopefully in the future. Going to see the Wave (won the permit lottery after trying 5 times) at the Buttes in September and staying at Camp Sarika for the 2nd time as a reward to myself (second visit - first was when i took advantage of their pandemic pricing and now the price is double). Hotel pricing nowadays can be a separate topic... arrgh.

Have been to many of those you listed above as a child and going back now as an adult.   Really enjoy the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon (which we did in 2021.    Have been plotting a return to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons  for the last 2 years,  but with some of the problems they have had,   hasn't happened yet.    I do fitness photo shoots at various parks and it would be awesome to get input from others here,  as you just provided.    I hope the moderators will make an adjustment for this discussion..     Sounds like you had an awesome time!

National parks are in a sense uncurated museums of the world that we live in as opposed to curated depictions of an aspect of it, so in a sense they are 'museums'. Whether this topic belongs in this forum or in the Lounge is something for @foxy, the moderator to decide. Whichever way that goes, this is a worthwhile discussion to have. I've had an annual pass to national parks in NSW that I've bought at a slight discount when I've renewed my car registration (the pass is linked to my car number plate, not to me).

There are terrific national parks in many countries, so it's not just the US and Canada, and Australia. Think of the Kruger NP for example.

which-was-the-world_s-first-national-par
NPANSW.ORG.AU

Bob Crombie, First National Park, October 2014 When people ask, “Which, of all the world’s national parks, was the first national park?” the obvious approach is to...

On 8/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, foxy said:

I’m totally in agreement in adding National Parks to the Museum forum. I’m also a big fan, have visited several and plan to go to more in the future. I also have a lifetime pass which is a major bargain. 

I assume to make an inquiry about a "lifetime pass",  one just needs to contact the National Park Service?

On 8/29/2023 at 12:59 AM, Charlie said:

A number of years ago I bought the Golden Age Passport, which gives free entrance to the holder ... It is good for life, but one has to be age 62 or over to purchase it.

1 hour ago, ICTJOCK said:

I assume to make an inquiry about a "lifetime pass",  one just needs to contact the National Park Service?

I would assume that there are other long term passes but perhaps the 'lifetime pass' is a seniors' thing. I'm sure the NPS website would have info about their range of passes.

1 hour ago, mike carey said:

I would assume that there are other long term passes but perhaps the 'lifetime pass' is a seniors' thing. I'm sure the NPS website would have info about their range of passes.

I will see what is offered.   Yeah the one you purchased is a bit premature for me at this stage!   LOL

Just now, ICTJOCK said:

I will see what is offered.   Yeah the one you purchased is a bit premature for me at this stage!   LOL

Lol, I don't have a lifetime pass! Especially not to national parks in the US. The passes I have bought in the past have been for New South Wales parks and are annual, and not age limited. (And about $AU60 a year.) [And I don't have one now as I've just changed cars and they are offered when you renew your car registration, which comes up in December for my new(er) car.]

For those under 62, the $80 annual federal lands pass is a good deal if you (and everyone in your car) plan to visit several federal fee areas in a year. Not good at state or local operations. For seniors, the free lifetime pass is gone, but a $10 annual pass exists now, I think. Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and all the biggies now charge $30-35/car, so a pass is a deal if you have several destinations planned. 

5 hours ago, ICTJOCK said:

I bought my lifetime senior pass at the entrance to Glacier National Park in June as we were entering the park (Going-to-the-sun Road is unbelievable).  I just asked the guy at the gate and he said I could get it right there, so I did (only took a minute).  I used it at Devil's Tower and Badlands National Park, but didn't need it at Mt Rushmore.

14 minutes ago, top_guy_atl said:

I bought my lifetime senior pass at the entrance to Glacier National Park in June as we were entering the park (Going-to-the-sun Road is unbelievable).  I just asked the guy at the gate and he said I could get it right there, so I did (only took a minute).  I used it at Devil's Tower and Badlands National Park, but didn't need it at Mt Rushmore.

That’s awesome, I hope you had a great time

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, ICTJOCK said:

"Museums"  can mean a variety and I'd like our US National Parks to be included as a point of discussion.     We have some incredible parks across the US and as avid traveler,  would be nice to be able to ask questions about a specific park.      To the moderators,  if this is allowed,  can you alter the topic head to include  "Museums and National Parks"?      Or a separate category on National Parks.    Thanks very much.

Without s doubt US National Parks are America's greatest idea as the motto says!

And also the perfect way to show how dumb Millennials could be:

Edited by marylander1940