Chelsea men SPA 29st to take legal action

Hello All, How do I file a legal action against Chelsea men spa on 29th st, NYC.
I was not even given massage for 20 minutes , I had booked  for 1 hour.  I reached there around 5.45 PM, they said you want shower, I said ok. I thought free like other SPAs. He said shower is busy wait , after waiting 15 minutes , I did shower for 10 minutes. After done with shower , I am told total charges 75$ plus tip. After around 5  minutes of massage he said 60$ tip.  I said no. After 15 minutes he said we  are done for 1 hour. I said hardly 20 minutes , he said time starts the moment you enter into spa. I said then also hardly 45 minutes. I went to front desk , he said you have  to pay full money. I said no, he locked the door from inside side and twisted my hand and started abusing.   He called some body builder and started threatening me. Spa was all empty. I was only the one it seems. I thought to call police but was not sure what to do. I paid full money and left. But I am very very disappointed and scared. I am thinking to take legal action against them.  I also work very hard to make some money. Why these SPAs expect free money? 

You should have called the police and filed charges. Can probably still go to the police and make a statement. You should definitely consult an attorney first. Police should be able to get security cam footage, but they need to act quickly before it is deleted and then it becomes a he said/he said situation.

Nah, going to the police to file suit and getting a lawyer will cost more money, whether in cash or time and headaches, and not much will come of it. For a lost $100 or so, it isn’t worth it.

Try Small Claims Court instead. No lawyer, modest filing fee, better chance for success at getting your money back. https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2023/02/ls602.pdf

Edited by Peter Eater

$75 for a shower?  Wow.  NYC water rates must be steep.   

Thirsty? Want a cup of water at Spa?   Better ask how much first!  

I can understand time of shower being included in massaage hour, but priced separately, and then waiting time  included in the hour for massage?  What?? 

Nevertheless, I'd chalk it up to a bad experience and not visit again. 

Thanks for the warning about this place.  

9 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Your first instinct was the correct answer .

With no police report, you have no evidence and no case.

Just let it go.

This experience went beyond some other bad reports we've received from members of this forum.  I mean a body builder twisting your arm, locking you in the room with no one around!  I find that more upsetting than the loss of your $$$ even though that is very unfortunate when you were trying to reward yourself with a relaxing time.  So many other nice spas out there who will be happy to receive you.  You have my sympathy.  Thanks for sharing with us @TerryAance

@TerryAance you’d likely be spending a lot of money for little result. But if you paid a visit to the police station closest to the spa and told them what happened, at a minimum they’d be on notice and perhaps they’ve already been reported. Also put a review on both their Google Biz ad and on Yelp.

I'll just point out that according to you posted a similar "review" on Yelp that also has a previous negative review of the same spa by you.  It certainly makes me wonder if you have an axe to grind against this place since I know I'm not likely to patronize a business again where I felt they deserved a 1-star review.

1 hour ago, maninsoma said:

I'll just point out that according to you posted a similar "review" on Yelp that also has a previous negative review of the same spa by you.  It certainly makes me wonder if you have an axe to grind against this place

Now I’m pissed off!! Thanks @maninsoma for pointing this out. Indeed there are two negative reviews on Yelp for Chelsea Men, both by the same person… one from 2 days ago with identical text above by @TerryAance and the second with identical text by another forum member @HornieMikey who in this thread accused myself and others of being Chelsea Men employees and posting bogus reviews. 

So… I can only surmise that @TerryAance and @HornieMikey are the same person. And… all posts under these two names, particularly on Chelsea Men Spa, should be at least considered suspect. 

What a bummer… feeling empathy and giving advice on something that’s not what it seems.

Edited by EVdude

2 hours ago, maninsoma said:

I'll just point out that according to you posted a similar "review" on Yelp that also has a previous negative review of the same spa by you.  It certainly makes me wonder if you have an axe to grind against this place since I know I'm not likely to patronize a business again where I felt they deserved a 1-star review.

Sorry about my typos/poor grammar.  I edited my post a few times to try to be as direct as possible without being rude and I see it doesn't make complete sense.

On 7/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, EVdude said:

So… I can only surmise that @TerryAance and @HornieMikey are the same person. And… all posts under these two names, particularly on Chelsea Men Spa, should be at least considered suspect.

If you take a look at his post history on his profile it is pretty much exclusively about his grievances with spas and masseurs.

That he would not only question why a masseur in a spa would wear a mask but also repeatedly request the masseur to remove the mask indicates to me that he is a problem client.

https://www.companyofmen.org/profile/7505-terryaance/

• 2 weeks later...