Opinions on Travel Insurance

Lucky

Has travel insurance proved useful to you at any time? I have an expensive trip planned, but the quote for insurance is rather high, or so I think.

I just wonder who has found it to be valuable. I know, it depends...

10 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Has travel insurance proved useful to you at any time? I have an expensive trip planned, but the quote for insurance is rather high, or so I think.

I just wonder who has found it to be valuable. I know, it depends...

I never travel without it beyond North America. As an example of something to be cautious of: my credit card insurance plan does not cover foreign rentals, so if a rental car gets stolen or wrecked I am on the hook.  Unless I opt for the expensive insurance at the rental agency in which case I am better off paying for a comprehensive plan anyway.  Any medical issue I have may also be a problem and I am no longer a young man.  If I recall correctly, the insurance usually comes out at 10% to 15% of the trip cost.

I once suffered a serious injury shortly before a cruise, and had to be hospitalized there in Singapore. They refunded the cruise and paid to have me flown home in business class after my hospitlisation. 

there’s another service which is very useful for frequent travelers - MedJet.  

It’s not travel insurance but rather a medical evacuation if you end up in a hospital for something major and you want to return to US for treatment, surgery, etc  The decision to medically evacuate is not up to an insurance company- it’s the decision among patient and the doctors: doctor where the incident occurs and the your doctor at receiving hospital.  Can be both international or domestic 

Very inexpensive and another layer of protection.  They have an add-on for security services should something go south when you’re traveling, like robbery, assault, etc 

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I bought the insurance, including a cancel for any reason policy. Now I can be sure that nothing will go wrong!

I don't know how anyone can buy those. In order to purchase this, one must purchase the policy within usually a week or so of the first initial deposit. I most commonly purchase these travel insurances for cruises. My next cruise will go around Japan in October. It's been about a year since I put in the $200 deposit for this trip (the ship was already 90% sold out at that time). I couldn't even know what the total trip cost would be, because there would be no way to know the airfare, for example (I just got our plane tickets 2 weeks ago). The balance (lion's share) of the cruise fare will be due in August, 60 days before the cruise. It's after I pay that amount that I usually get the insurance (to cover the big $$). 

I bought travel insurance last year to cover a 12-day Caribbean cruise.  The day I was leaving for New York, I tested positive for COVID.  Three weeks later I had a check for ~$7,000.  Phew.  It only covered non-refundable expenses.  It did not cover AA travel credits.

Do your homework on credit card insurance.  It seems to be less and less a credit card benefit.