Can organizations woke themselves to death?

21 hours ago, robear said:

Insofar as that's true, it's for the obvious reason that it isn't a level playing field.  At all.  For ever and always, Caucasian performers have been hired to portray non-European characters.  If there's the teensiest tilt in the other direction, that's just how it goes.

To me, color-blind casting, as well as other kinds of "reimagining," can work or not, depending on the material, direction, style of production, specific performer, target audience, etc.  The concept isn't black-or-white, heh-heh.  But that's how it goes in theatre, opera, film, TV, etc.  Not everything pays off. 

I wish you cited some examples of race-switch casting that worked so I could know what you're talking about.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Yes, it's sad that so many p.o.c. roles were played by white actors in the past, but race-switch casting today doesn't undo that wrong.

Sorry, I don't want to see a 3'11" dwarf playing Wilt Chamberlain.  I think actors should be reasonably similar to the characters they play.  Then again, maybe this is just my particular pet peeve.  I go nuts when I see actors who are obviously many years older than the characters they play, but others seem able to overlook that discrepancy quite easily.

16 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

Hamilton (on Broadway)

maybe you’ve heard of it ?

I thought "Hamilton" was dreadful. The only reason it got all the press was because of the "correctness" of approving of the racial swapping.

I would say "Bridgerton" is a better example of quality casting that didn't rattle your brain trying to figure out who these people are supposed to be.

"Hamilton" on the other hand, took you to an alternative reality that was just ridiculous and cheesy.

35 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I thought "Hamilton" was dreadful. The only reason it got all the press was because of the "correctness" of approving of the racial swapping

The Cheneys (Dick & Lynne), Mike Pence & a slew of other Republican politicians went to see Hamilton because of the “correctness” ???   Said no one ever 

Hamilton is the most universally celebrated new piece of musical theatre in the last 20 years, without a doubt.  
There’s no right or wrong in opinions about theatre - it’s subjective.  But distilling Hamilton down to your critiques of oft repeated sound-bites & talking points is just lazy.  
Tbh - seems more like trolling than an actual opinion fwiw

23 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

The Cheneys (Dick & Lynne), Mike Pence & a slew of other Republican politicians went to see Hamilton because of the “correctness” ???   Said no one ever 

Hamilton is the most universally celebrated new piece of musical theatre in the last 20 years, without a doubt.  
There’s no right or wrong in opinions about theatre - it’s subjective.  But distilling Hamilton down to your critiques of oft repeated sound-bites & talking points is just lazy.  
Tbh - seems more like trolling than an actual opinion fwiw

I can't imagine that Mike Pence has ever seen a Broadway musical other than Hamilton, so yeah....its a good guess, that Cheney and Pence showed up for the press.

Disagreeing with your opinion doesn't equate with "trolling". So just stop deflecting and playing victim.

The subject was providing @BSR an example of race swapping that "WORKED" not an example that got a lot of press but the effectiveness of the race-swapping was confusing and the show's quality sucked.

I would ask @BSRto check out the Bridgerton series. Which was well done, and the introduction of people of color to the Regency era love story, did not rattle my brain in the least. The black actors were so talented that they pulled-off performances that were convincing as 19th century aristocrats.  Where "Hamilton" leaves us baffled with the bizarreness of 18th century rappers.