Newspapers

Lucky

I subscribe to many online newspapers, and receive the Sunday NY Times and LA Times, along with the daily Wall Street Journal. But I was kind of put off paying $16 a month for the digital NY Daily News. So I called to cancel, and they offered me six months at 25 cents a week. So I didn't cancel!

The Economist is the only one that I take in print form, but I do subscribe to the digital versions of the Australian Financial Review, the NYT, the Washington Post and Bloomberg, and the Saturday Paper here. I also take the Australian as one of the benefits of a credit card (and that comes with the digital WSJ). And from left field, Haaretz. I'm looking at what to cut back on! Every time I look at a Grauniad article they guilt trip me to pay up, or at least they try.

I grew up reading the New York Daily News, since it was the only NYC paper my father bought. I can't imagine bothering with it now. The only digital paper I subscribe to is the NYT, so I will have something to read on my iPad when I am traveling. At home I want to read a real paper that I can fold while I am eating, not something on a screen.

I subscribe to the print edition of the Wall Street Journal.

I used to also subscribe to the print editions of USA Today and my local Las Vegas newspaper.  However, the content of those two newspapers have drastically declined over the past decade, so I have cancelled my subscription to them.

I do not subscribe to any digital or online newspaper.

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

I grew up reading the New York Daily News, since it was the only NYC paper my father bought. I can't imagine bothering with it now. The only digital paper I subscribe to is the NYT, so I will have something to read on my iPad when I am traveling. At home I want to read a real paper that I can fold while I am eating, not something on a screen.

Gosh, @Charlie what print paper do you fold and read? Surely not the Desert Sun as it only takes 2 minutes to peruse. 🙂

One benefit of the major papers (and all media) being written by CIA "former employees" now is the price has dropped to $1/week. That's all I've paid for two or three years and a lot less than before the CIA takeover. Listening to the government's world domination narrative of the day is worth it if you're really into crosswords and local news for almost free. Wirecutter on NYT is also nice tech. The Economist and the Guardian were readable before the takeover but awful now and no redeeming crosswords. Thankfully Foreign Affairs, which has been a mainstay for me for years, seems to be still somewhat intelligent and independent and I pay for the print edition to support them even though I only read it online.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I work in a college library, so I'm lucky to have access to all the major papers (and then some). Over the past ten years which I've been there, I have seen more 'physical' subscriptions canceled, and more e-subscriptions added. We don't even subscribe to our own local newspaper anymore (a ghost of what it was 20 years ago) - it's only accessible on-line in e-edition. 

As for magazines and other periodicals, we're really cutting back on physical copies of those, too. NO ONE checks out magazines any longer. Hell, no one even pulls one off the shelf to read in the library.  And we have quite a selection of magazines appealing to students -  from pop culture (movies, music, etc) , gay culture, men's health, women's health, sports and exercise, food, etc. - there's something for everyone. But no one wants them. So they're on the way out as we re-think the area dedicated to periodicals.