Theater in London

Jim_n_NYC

Lucky hit it on the head and Playbill also has current listings.

https://playbill.com/productions?q=&venue-type=london

I'd also recommend downloading the app and getting familiar with TodayTix.  Great app for finding day-of or advance tix.  Easy to use.  Mostly mobile device delivery.  Some good deal pop-up and you can join various show daily seat lotteries through the app too.  Super intuitive interface.

https://www.todaytix.com/london/category/all-shows

The Washington Post today has a great article on London shows. It's behind a paywall, but here are some excerpts:

Crowd control takes on a whole new meaning in the teeming New York conjured by director Nicholas Hytner’s gangbusters revival of “Guys and Dolls.” In the theater that Hytner co-founded on the banks of the Thames, audiences fill the space as if they’re milling excitedly around Times Square. The musical’s gamblers and chorus girls make their way through the throngs via moving, interlocking runways, infusing the 1950 show with the urban energy of 2023.

VH5DIOVS7RHELP3YCA6OPJ3IMQ.jpg&w=1200

The production is immersive to the max; a team of scenery movers dressed as New York’s Finest parts the Bridge Theatre spectators — who can also be seated along the multitiered perimeter — for the timeless Frank Loesser numbers. Miss Adelaide (Marisha Wallace) and the Hot Box Girls shimmy through “A Bushel and a Peck” on one platform; Sarah Brown (Celinde Schoenmaker) and Sky Masterson (Andrew Richardson) rumba in “Havana” on another; and the full cast, which includes Daniel Mays’s irresistible Nathan Detroit, assembles on a third, for the socko second-act climax of “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat.”

Hytner’s production has a musical theater lover floating, too — on air. The freshness of approach is emblematic of what is happening to classic pieces these days on London stages, where dazzling revivals rethink locales as diverse as Euripides’s Greece and Tennessee Williams’s New Orleans. In the city’s newest West End theater, @sohoplace, Sophie Okonedo and Ben Daniels perform a “Medea” that bears down on you with the force of a bullet train. Just across Charing Cross Road, the Phoenix Theatre hosts a blistering “Streetcar Named Desire,” with Patsy Ferran as a deeply damaged Blanche and recent Oscar nominee Paul Mescal (“Aftersun”) as her feral adversary, Stanley.

And at the National Theatre, Janet McTeer recently ended a run in director-adapter Simon Stone’s heart-stopping, contemporary take on “Phaedra,” performed in a revolving box that puts sex and horror sensationally under glass.

Any of these — heck, all of these — deserve a life beyond the limits of their London runs. Not that a journey to the colonies is the be-all or end-all, but it sure would represent a satisfying distribution of theater riches.

Many of my encounters on a London trip this month were with great works reconsidered greatly. That attests to the pieces’ timeless strengths. But it also suggests that a vital reacquaintance is occurring with some of the sturdiest pillars of an art form that the pandemic denied to audiences for so long.

The only disappointing evening was a new play at the Harold Pinter Theatre: director Ivo van Hove’s English-language version of “A Little Life” (originally in Dutch), a nearly four-hour orgy of pain and suffering adapted from Hanya Yanagihara’s popular 2015 American novel. Contextualizing the ordeals of the main character (played with impressive energy by James Norton) is wholly admirable, but the extreme length and the repetitious plot work against the play’s sensitizing mission.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/theater-dance/2023/04/18/guys-dolls-london-streetcar-mcteer/

Thanks for posting the above @Lucky I hadn’t seen the article.

Personally, I didn’t rate the production of “Medea” but we have tickets for “Streetcar” next week. Luckily we did not buy tickets for “A Little Life” - the run is now sold out - as the reviews have been scathing (eg “2* melodrama”) tho James Norton is praised for his stamina and bravery as he’s nude for many scenes. 

Of course, many of these plays won’t be running in September when the OP plans to visit. There’s a useful UK website www.atgtickets.com where I often purchase tickets. Also the National Theatre has its own website for both its upcoming plays and those that are or will be running in commercial venues www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

We're only going to be there for the weekend and only need to choose one play for Saturday, so the search isn't too complicated. We used to go to theater every time we went thru London but haven't in at least a decade...I think the last play we saw was "Noises Off."  Kinda sad that the restaurant we used to always go to closed, too...Red Fort.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my ticket today for Back to the Future the Musical in London's West End.  Dress circle, front row center.  I'll be in London for almost a week in August.  This is my only "must see" show, because I'm a Back to the Future fan and the show originated in London.  On my other days in London, I'll stop by Leicester Square to see what tickets are available for cheep on that day.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:37 AM, MscleLovr said:

Thanks for posting the above @Lucky I hadn’t seen the article.

Personally, I didn’t rate the production of “Medea” but we have tickets for “Streetcar” next week. Luckily we did not buy tickets for “A Little Life” - the run is now sold out - as the reviews have been scathing (eg “2* melodrama”) tho James Norton is praised for his stamina and bravery as he’s nude for many scenes. 

Of course, many of these plays won’t be running in September when the OP plans to visit. There’s a useful UK website www.atgtickets.com where I often purchase tickets. Also the National Theatre has its own website for both its upcoming plays and those that are or will be running in commercial venues www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

How did you like Streetcar?

2 minutes ago, Lucky said:

How did you like Streetcar?

I know this question wasn’t directed at me…..but….

I thought Streetcar in London was amazing. I find that whenever Tennessee Williams is staged, there’s always the risk of the turning his Southern Gothic brilliance into parody. I was especially worried since this was a British production. I seriously doubted they would get the subtitles of Tennessee correct. I was wrong to have worried. I loved 98% of this production. Minor petty critiques, but overall it’s a wonderful production of an American Masterpiece. I could go on and on, but just go if you can. It’s pretty great. 

• 1 month later...

Not west end theater, but if you are in London and an Abba fan, I'd really recommend seeing the Abba Voyager show.   I saw it last year and am going back to London in a couple weeks and planning on seeing it again.   I really like the dance booths.   It's a small sitting area with a dance floor for about twelve people

This is a good site for what's going on in London:

android-chrome-512x512.png
WWW.LONDONBOXOFFICE.CO.UK

West End Shows - London Box Office