Contact Person: What If?

Cooper

One of the women in a Bridge group I belonged to lived alone and had a a cell phone and a life alert button, but she took them off one night to take a bath, had a mini-stroke and couldn't get out of the tub. The next day a neighbor noticed that she hadn't taken in the morning paper, so he went over and found her in the tub, alive but very wrinkled.

Another friend came home from a hospital stay, but the social worker at the hospital couldn't reach him on the phone the next day. She called the number of a neighbor whose number John had given her as a contact person. He went over to the house and found John sitting on a chair in front of his open refrigerator door: he had apparently been looking in the refrigerator for something to make for dinner the night before, had a heart attack and died sitting there.

You can't always be prepared.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:36 PM, APPLE1 said:

For many years, I have had a couple of elderly neighbors who turn their porch light on in the morning when they get up and off when they go to bed. The neighborhood knows they system, and it has worked to save at least one gentlemen in distress.

During the height of covid, and since, a number of young people on the block have engaged in the same system.

I turn my outdoor lights on at dusk and turn them off at midnight. My neighbors know the system, and if the light doesn’t get turned on, they’ll party.