Great TV Show Theme Music

After watching some older TV shows recently it's struck me how much the editing has changed over the years.  Older shows had title and credit sequences that lasted several minutes of air time, and the theme music became part of the pop culture. In recent years most TV shows have opted for cold opens and very short title sequences so they can squeeze in more commercials, but music stings that thread the episodes along are still highly recognizeable.

What are some of the themes that you fondly remember?

Wow. What an interesting thread. In no particular order and at risk of showing my age, here’s what come to mind from way back:

Hill Street Blues

Sanford and Son

Cagney and Lacey

More contemporary or recent examples, though would be the theme for Good Omens or Wednesday.

Of course one cannot ignore the Open theme songs of such classics as The Beverly Hillbillies  Petticoat Junction  Green Acres and Gilligan's Island   My Mother The Car was a terrible show with a memorable theme song.  But if it is just orchestration, SWAT  and LA Law also had interesting themes and music in general was integral to the plot of Allie McBeal.   

As a kid, I was soooo in love with David Naughton! 😍😘 I'd never miss an episode of the comedy show "Makin' it"! The show didn't last long, though. 😢

Edited by Unicorn

22 hours ago, purplekow said:

This Diana Rigg vehicle's theme song finishes a distant second to a much better themed TV show....Game of Thrones.   

I never watched it because I'm not really into the fantasy/dragons/magic thing, but, wow, these opening credits, both music and visuals, are fantastic......

On 2/17/2023 at 12:22 AM, azdr0710 said:

I never watched it because I'm not really into the fantasy/dragons/magic thing, but, wow, these opening credits, both music and visuals, are fantastic......

What is interesting an unique about the opening credits there, is the movement around the map.  The map depicted represents the various locations visited in that eipsode.  In addition, when there is damage that is identifiable to a city or location in the opening creeds, the landscape shown in the subsequent episodes will change to account for those changes.  So the opening credits, while similar, are not always identical.   

Interestingly, I started watching the show after the all hype led the creators of the Simpsons do do a takeoff off of the Simpsons opening with a GOT inspited change in the music and a stylistic tour of Springfield ala GOT. That led me back to watch the original opening and to try out a single episode.  I was then hooked.  

13 minutes ago, purplekow said:

What is interesting an unique about the opening credits there, is the movement around the map.  The map depicted represents the various locations visited in that eipsode.  In addition, when there is damage that is identifiable to a city or location in the opening creeds, the landscape shown in the subsequent episodes will change to account for those changes.  So the opening credits, while similar, are not always identical.   

Interestingly, I started watching the show after the all hype led the creators of the Simpsons do do a takeoff off of the Simpsons opening with a GOT inspited change in the music and a stylistic tour of Springfield ala GOT. That led me back to watch the original opening and to try out a single episode.  I was then hooked.