Those who've used both Descovy and Truvada, which one did you keep?

newdad

This topic has been discussed in prior strings. They're pretty much the same medication, with just a little tweak. Descovy is supposedly safer for those with kidney problems and maybe osteoporosis. It appears to have more drug interactions than Truvada, though. Side-effect profile is similar. Efficacy the same. 

They are both fixed-dose combinations of 2 antiviral drugs emtricitabine and tenofovir (200/300mg for Truvada, 200/25mg for Descovy). Brand names of both are manufactured by Gilead, Truvada is available as a generic. Gilead started pushing Descovy as Truvada was going off-patent as a marketing ploy.

My doctor prefers Descovy for PrEP because, in layman's terms, it's "less medicine." Taken properly, they are both equally effective at preventing HIV infection. What's best for you may come down to cost, some insurance or public programs cover only the older generic Truvada for cost reason. My employer-sponsored health insurance covers both at no out of pocket cost to me.

As always, ask your doctor.

5 hours ago, robear said:

They are both fixed-dose combinations of 2 antiviral drugs emtricitabine and tenofovir (200/300mg for Truvada, 200/25mg for Descovy). Brand names of both are manufactured by Gilead, Truvada is available as a generic. Gilead started pushing Descovy as Truvada was going off-patent as a marketing ploy...

True, although the tenofovir formulations are slightly different. 

Truvada contains two active ingredients: emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Descovy also contains two active ingredients: emtricitabine and tenofovir alafenamide.

Both Truvada and Descovy contain two active ingredients in one tablet. They have one common active ingredient: emtricitabine. The second active ingredient, tenofovir, is a little different in each drug. This affects how the body absorbs the medications.

Often, these are called "TDF" and "TAF".

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 11:42 PM, SpaDude2 said:

Truvada is a really old product and it’s unlikely you would get the brand, you will almost certainly get a generic.   And compared to the newer medicine the pill is gigantic.  

I switched to Descovy when it became available as PrEP because the pill is smaller than Truvada and, therefore, easier to swallow. 

On 2/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, newdad said:

And why?

Looking to start on one of them. Both seems to be similar as far as effectiveness, but curious to hear about others' experience who've used both.

There’s a strong chance that you won’t have a choice as your insurer will have one (likely a Truvada generic) on its formulary for default coverage and will only cover Descovy if your doctor provides a reason why Truvada isn’t a good option for you.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:11 AM, robear said:

As always, ask your doctor.

My doctor recommends condoms and being selective about one's sexual activity.

Saying, the long term liver damage and bone deterioration of Truvada is not worth the ability to go raw-dog with a hot bottom boy.

I do understand that Descovy supposedly has a better reputation about deteriorating your insides after long term usage. So if you are afraid of condoms or have that weird latex allergy, then Descovy seems to be the way to go.

9 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I switched to Descovy when it became available as PrEP because the pill is smaller than Truvada and, therefore, easier to swallow. 

Sadly, my new insurance does not cover Descovy, only Truvada. So I am back on the big pill. 🤷‍♂️

Some others may be in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, FrankR said:

Sadly, my new insurance does not cover Descovy, only Truvada. So I am back on the big pill. 🤷‍♂️

Some others may be in the same boat. 

When I hit Medicare I lost the Gilead Truvada co-pay reimbursement. Truvada got a bit expensive, I don’t take a  lot of medications so my deductible didn’t kick in until late. Even eventually switching to a generic that was Medicare approved was $2000/year at best.

Enter Amazon Pharmacy. I’m midway through my first 90 day supply of the generic Truvada (Emtricitabine - Tenofovir, 200 MG - 300 MG Tablets). I elected to purchase it without insurance, because it only cost $66.20 for 90 days, without insurance! $265/year….I’m happy.

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

When I hit Medicare I lost the Gilead Truvada co-pay reimbursement. Truvada got a bit expensive, I don’t take a  lot of medications so my deductible didn’t kick in until late. Even eventually switching to a generic that was Medicare approved was $2000/year at best.

Enter Amazon Pharmacy. I’m midway through my first 90 day supply of the generic Truvada (Emtricitabine - Tenofovir, 200 MG - 300 MG Tablets). I elected to purchase it without insurance, because it only cost $66.20 for 90 days, without insurance! $265/year….I’m happy.

Thank you!  I can get Truvada through GoodRX for under $30 a month at a number of pharmacies in my area - no insurance needed.  It is generic Truvada. Descovy is over $2,000 a month on the GoodRX app. Crazy! 🤪

Edited by FrankR