Romantic travel spots for a getaway in February

cany10011

Hope everyone is having a great holiday with friends and family! Just planning some trips for 2023 (already booked trips for April - Amsterdam/ Paris and December- Paris). Any thoughts for a romantic 5-day getaway from the frigid temps of NYC in February? Looking for something within 5 - 7 hour direct flight. Thought of Hawaii but it's too far.  Prefer more cultural than beach (or both if possible) with good food options. Friends have suggested these:

1. Mexico City - have been and love it
  2. Key West- have only been to Miami many times but never Key West
  3. Lagos, Portugal - have been to Lisbon, Porto a few times but have not traveled south
  4. Ibiza/Formentera, Spain - have been to Barcelona and Madrid many times but wouldn't mind something different
  5. Aruba - never much a Caribbean person, but my friend wants some sun- or are any other islands better? Have been to Antigua and Puerto Rico only. 
Edited by cany10011

48 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Mexico City hands down. Key West has gone straight, Portugal and Spain require too much time in transit, and Aruba...Aruba? I've never heard of anyone who went there but maybe?

2 friends mentioned Aruba. It never even registered to me as a place to visit as I am not a beach person. But, my friend who is traveling with me wants sun so I asked around and others suggested Aruba or St. Maarten. 

1 hour ago, cany10011 said:

Hope everyone is having a great holiday with friends and family! Just planning some trips for 2023 (already booked trips for April - Amsterdam/ Paris and December- Paris). Any thoughts for a romantic 5-day getaway from the frigid temps of NYC in February? Looking for something within 5 - 7 hour direct flight. Thought of Hawaii but it's too far.  Prefer more cultural than beach (or both if possible) with good food options. Friends have suggested these:

1. Mexico City - have been and love it
  2. Key West- have only been to Miami many times but never Key West
  3. Lagos, Portugal - have been to Lisbon, Porto a few times but have not traveled south
  4. Ibiza/Formentera, Spain - have been to Barcelona and Madrid many times but wouldn't mind something different
  5. Aruba - never much a Caribbean person, but my friend wants some sun- or are any other islands better? Have been to Antigua and Puerto Rico only. 

Bear in mind that while there won't be snow in Lagos or the Balearic Islands, it's definitely not beach weather in February; you'll need some warm clothing in February. It's also way off season in those places, and no direct flights. You already apparently know about Mexico City--there are certainly good food options, and you can decide if it's romantic. I don't know how much culture you'll find on Aruba. I'm also not a big fan of their beaches because it's windy there most of the time, and if you're on the beach, you'll feel like you're being sand-blasted. Among the ABC islands, Curacao offers the most cultural opportunities, a good selection of restaurants, as well as some nice beaches which aren't windy all of the time. Bonaire is great if you're a diving enthusiast, but no beaches and little in terms of culture, and restaurant options are limited.

Among Caribbean islands, if your primary concern is cuisine and culture, I'd opt for the French islands, particularly Guadeloupe and Martinique. Not sure about direct flights from NYC, though. I'm not as down on Key West as some others, and there are probably no direct flights from NYC, but you should be able to get there in 7 hours or so. 

My recommendation might be for a place you haven't mentioned: Puerto Vallarta. You can fly nonstop on JetBlue, there's lots of culture including plenty of art galleries, and lots of outstanding restaurants. In fact, my favorite restaurant in the whole world is there: Cafe des Artistes, which is extremely romantic. You can also have mariachis serenade you and your lover at a beachside restaurant such as El Dorado or La Palapa. There's plenty to do in the evening also, including musicals, drag shows, or sexy reviews. 

9:10am - 2:11pm (Nonstop)

b6_sq.svg
JetBlue Airways
WiFi, entertainment and power on this flight
Show details

• $326.75 roundtrip for 1 traveler$327
    $326.75 roundtrip for 1 traveler

Blue Basic

Cabin: Economy
    • Seat

Seat choice for a fee
    • Bags

Carry-on bag not allowed
      1st checked bag:**
      $35
    • Flexibility

Non-refundable
      Change fee applies

Price Drop Protection
    We’ll refund the difference if the price drops before you fly.

Add to this flight

$20
    Select
  • $370.05 roundtrip for 1 traveler$371
    $370.05 roundtrip for 1 traveler
    PopularThis is a popular fare

Blue

• Seat

Seat choice included
    • Bags

Carry-on bag included
      $35
    • Flexibility

Non-refundable
      No change fees

Price Drop Protection

Add to this flight

$23

16 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Bear in mind that while there won't be snow in Lagos or the Balearic Islands, it's definitely not beach weather in February; you'll need some warm clothing in February. It's also way off season in those places, and no direct flights. You already apparently know about Mexico City--there are certainly good food options, and you can decide if it's romantic. I don't know how much culture you'll find on Aruba. I'm also not a big fan of their beaches because it's windy there most of the time, and if you're on the beach, you'll feel like you're being sand-blasted. Among the ABC islands, Curacao offers the most cultural opportunities, a good selection of restaurants, as well as some nice beaches which aren't windy all of the time. Bonaire is great if you're a diving enthusiast, but no beaches and little in terms of culture, and restaurant options are limited.

Among Caribbean islands, if your primary concern is cuisine and culture, I'd opt for the French islands, particularly Guadeloupe and Martinique. Not sure about direct flights from NYC, though. I'm not as down on Key West as some others, and there are probably no direct flights from NYC, but you should be able to get there in 7 hours or so. 

My recommendation might be for a place you haven't mentioned: Puerto Vallarta. You can fly nonstop on JetBlue, there's lots of culture including plenty of art galleries, and lots of outstanding restaurants. In fact, my favorite restaurant in the whole world is there: Cafe des Artistes, which is extremely romantic. You can also have mariachis serenade you and your lover at a beachside restaurant such as El Dorado or La Palapa. There's plenty to do in the evening also, including musicals, drag shows, or sexy reviews. 

9:10am - 2:11pm (Nonstop)

b6_sq.svg
JetBlue Airways
WiFi, entertainment and power on this flight

Show details

• $326.75 roundtrip for 1 traveler$327
    $326.75 roundtrip for 1 traveler

Blue Basic

• Seat

Seat choice for a fee
    • Bags

Carry-on bag not allowed
      $35
    • Flexibility

Non-refundable
      Change fee applies

Price Drop Protection

Add to this flight

$20
    Select
  • $370.05 roundtrip for 1 traveler$371
    $370.05 roundtrip for 1 traveler
    PopularThis is a popular fare

Blue

• Seat

Seat choice included
    • Bags

Carry-on bag included
      $35
    • Flexibility

Non-refundable
      No change fees

Price Drop Protection

Add to this flight

$23

Thanks so much. 3 friends just went there earlier this month and enjoyed it. I just didn't know if it was too rowdy or spring break feel (no offense)... I'll review and give it some thought! 

Thank you :)

Edited by cany10011

22 minutes ago, cany10011 said:

Thanks so much. 3 friends just went there earlier this month and enjoyed it. I just didn't know if it was too rowdy or spring break feel (no offense)... I'll review and give it some thought! 

Thank you :)

For a more quiet/non-rowdy experience, just avoid a hotel in the Romantic Zone. The south hotel zone can have a more secluded, tranquil feel, but you'll need to take transportation (cabs, Uber, or buses) to get to the restaurants and action. 

3 hours ago, Xavitv said:

If you want to do Spain. Southern Spain is always nice, Malaga, etc

While Málaga does have the mildest winters in Europe (warmer than southern Portugal), it will still be quite cool, and you'll need a good jacket and/or sweater. Definitely not beach weather. It's also their rainy season, though heavy rains are rare. Also, of course, no direct flights from NYC. According to Wikipedia:

"Málaga experiences the warmest winters of any European city with a population over 500,000. The average maximum temperature during the day in the period from December to February is 17–18 °C (63–64 °F). During the winter, the Málaga Mountains (Montes de Málaga) block the passage of cold winds from the north."

7 hours ago, Unicorn said:

While Málaga does have the mildest winters in Europe (warmer than southern Portugal), it will still be quite cool, and you'll need a good jacket and/or sweater. Definitely not beach weather. It's also their rainy season, though heavy rains are rare. Also, of course, no direct flights from NYC. According to Wikipedia:

"Málaga experiences the warmest winters of any European city with a population over 500,000. The average maximum temperature during the day in the period from December to February is 17–18 °C (63–64 °F). During the winter, the Málaga Mountains (Montes de Málaga) block the passage of cold winds from the north."

Thanks Unicorn. I agree with you. I'm leaning towards PV, but will check with my friend who will be visiting from Berlin. He says it is always grey there and wants to visit a sunny spot. 

I have been to Aruba and St. Marten.  Aruba has beautiful waters but is quite a dry and arid land.  St. Marten is more lush, and you have the advantage of being on an island with two cultures - Dutch and French.  

PV is a great city that has both touristic and authentic cultural characteristics.

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

One doesn't need a sweater at night in  Spanish towns adjacent  to Malaga.I spent a winter in Spain

47 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

One doesn't need a sweater at night in  Spanish towns adjacent  to Malaga.I spent a winter in Spain

Obviously, some people are more "warm-blooded" than others, and may have different fat distributions. I presented the OP with factual information. If the highs of the day average 17–18 °C (63–64 °F), then one can expect cooler temps in the evening. If you don't need a sweater with temps in the 50s, good for you. I trust the OP to make clothing decisions based on statistical data. 

37 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

I have  written often that collegeprofessors worn  students to avoid Wikipedia.

@Unicorn

Yes, too often and too worn. If you know of better data, we're all ears. You somehow think your personal experience is more valuable than hard statistics?

Edited by Unicorn

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Obviously, some people are more "warm-blooded" than others, and may have different fat distributions. I presented the OP with factual information. If the highs of the day average 17–18 °C (63–64 °F), then one can expect cooler temps in the evening. If you don't need a sweater with temps in the 50s, good for you. I trust the OP to make clothing decisions based on statistical data. 

I appreciate the information. Have been to Portugal and Spain in the Spring and realize it is jacket weather still. Leaning towards PV. I'll discuss with friend and see what he prefers.