Keep that FILTH out of our public institutions!

samhexum

12 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

What you describe, isnt being a liberal dear. You were a rebellious kid in a catholic prep school. 

No I was an extreme BLM pan african indigenous power liberal. I still am pro choice but for a completely different reason lol. I never gave a shit about Catholicism and rebelling, that shit is so 90s cliche. 

On 12/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Exactly!

I'll call "hypocrite" on any person who objects to a man wearing stereotypical feminine clothing in front of children for a performance or reading, who also takes their children to Disneyland where Peter Pan is played by a man wearing tights and is paraded around if full display in front of children as part of a performance.

A man dressing like peter pan or even Ms. Doubtfire isn't the same as drag queens. You know it, and everyone else knows it. They don't have that blatant sexual tone, hand dance sexually, and often aren't speaking with some fake New England accent. Idk why drag queens always talk like that but that's besides the point. 

We wouldn't complain if so many weren't busted for charges for child molestation, assault, and even possession of CP. We wouldn't complain so much if they weren't provocatively dressed as a caricature of sleazy women, and if we didn't have footage of them twerking and teaching kids to twerk and having kids give them dollar bills. The mothers that have their kids participate in that are absolutely sick.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I have no problem with this character reading a story to my children or others', any more than I would have spiderman, transformers, Mother Goose, or The Cat in the Hat read a story to them.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:26 PM, samhexum said:

You know those are just regular people in costumes, right?

13 minutes ago, Vulgarii said:

Yeah regular people that aren't twerking and don't have rap sheets for molestation. 

ummm...  somebody didn't get the joke.

17 minutes ago, Vulgarii said:

No I was an extreme BLM pan african indigenous power liberal.

Jeez... not another one of those.

😁😇😁😇 

1 hour ago, Vulgarii said:

A man dressing like peter pan or even Ms. Doubtfire isn't the same as drag queens. You know it, and everyone else knows it. They don't have that blatant sexual tone, hand dance sexually, and often aren't speaking with some fake New England accent. Idk why drag queens always talk like that but that's besides the point. 

We wouldn't complain if so many weren't busted for charges for child molestation, assault, and even possession of CP. We wouldn't complain so much if they weren't provocatively dressed as a caricature of sleazy women, and if we didn't have footage of them twerking and teaching kids to twerk and having kids give them dollar bills. The mothers that have their kids participate in that are absolutely sick.

Peter Pan is usually a women dressed as a boy. Think Mary Martin in the 1950s and 1960s.

Later on Sandy Duncan

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Maybe Alan was too Thicke for him and it hurt.

Comments like that may have led to his conservative Christian philosophy.

I saw an episode of Growing Pains in which Cameron's character refused to put a thermometer in his mouth when he had a  bad cold. His dad: how about your butt instead?

Today we went to a Christmas picnic in a public park at the site of the former Los Angeles Zoo. There was a drag performance as part of the picnic. Since there were a lot of small children, her performance was not risqué. Drag queens can adjust the suggestiveness of their performances to the audience. The drag per se is not inappropriate for children.

2 hours ago, Vulgarii said:

...They don't have that blatant sexual tone, hand dance sexually, and often aren't speaking with some fake New England accent. Idk why drag queens always talk like that but that's besides the point. We wouldn't complain if so many weren't busted for charges for child molestation, assault, and even possession of CP....

You have some pretty intense misconceptions about drag queens. I've seen over 100 drag queens. I can't remember any speaking with New England accents, even those I saw in Provincetown. And where did you get the idea regarding assault and pederasty? Usually it's the drag queens who are being assaulted and battered. You need to watch more drag, such as RuPaul's Drag Race...

This conversations seems to be all over the place, and as someone who has never been interested in drag/drag shows, I find it somewhat bizarre.  I think it is important to separate the person from the behaviour.   A man dressed as a woman does not have to 'perform' in a risque or overtly sexualized manner.  I'm confused why the children are being read to by individuals who are all done up as (often) over-the-top sexualized personas.  Even the chosen name has some sexualized connotation.  When was the last time you met a drag queen named Susan or Jennifer?  If the point is to be more inclusive and expose children to differentness, would it not be better if they were read to by transvestites and/or transsexuals?  I think it is more likely that the average person encounters these demographics more often that drag queens, unless you happen to attend their shows.  Many of which would probably not admit children.

The comparison with Peter Pan and Disneyland is interesting.  While costumed characters may be portrayed by men or women, and as an opposite gender to the character itself, it is probably clear to most children that these characters are not real.  I never thought that the 6-foot tall Mickey Mouse at Disneyland was the same individual I saw on TV.  The portrayer is dressed up as something that is fictional.  This is not the same as drag queens, who are dressed as another gender, often in a very stereotypical sexualized manner - which may not be the most helpful behaviour for young children to be exposed to.  There are reasons why children below a certain age are not permitted into certain movies and performances.  As adults we may assume that because we can tell the difference between the person, the persona, and the behaviour, that children are able to as well.  And I don't think that is a conclusion we can make.  Many kids are terrified by clowns for this very reason - I was one of them.  Because a clown still looks like a human dressed up as something above and beyond a 'normal' human - and that can be scary.

I imagine the vast majority of kids being read to by drag queens will likely have no ill effects for the experience, but they may have important questions that flow from the experience.  And this should be a concern because the average parent may not be able to explain things properly or sufficiently, and this runs the risk of increasing the prejudice rather than diminishing it.  Many will disagree, but I believe that children are unable to discern nuances the way that adults today seem to think they can.  In many ways, they cannot really think for themselves until their brains have developed enough in their teen years.

I didn't mean to drone on like this, but hopefully what I have written makes some sense to some people, without it sounding like a crusade against drag queens - which it certainly is not meant to be.

Edited by CuriousByNature

7 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

I read all your comments and those of all the others. NOWHERE do you specify "where the FILTH truly is." In fact, you never used the word FILTH until that particular sentence I quoted above.

You're just like Bill Clinton, who was puzzled by the simple word "is." 😂

Is it in drag shows? Is it the drag queens themselves who are filthy? Are all liberals filthy?

You really do need to back up your words. They're not evident from your written comments. Running away from your own words is pretty lame, but I'm not at all surprised that you won't defend them. 

Hey Einstein,

THE TOPIC of the post was "Keep that filth out of our public institutions" - and then the original poster called my religion FILTH and then I replied that we know where the REAL filth is. It's FILTH to insult and belittle someone's religion.

I KNOW reading and comprehension is hard, but if you are going to talk with the adults, might want to find out how to read.

48 minutes ago, Todd Jenkins said:

Hey Einstein,

THE TOPIC of the post was "Keep that filth out of our public institutions" - and then the original poster called my religion FILTH and then I replied that we know where the REAL filth is. It's FILTH to insult and belittle someone's religion.

I KNOW reading and comprehension is hard, but if you are going to talk with the adults, might want to find out how to read.

So you called a member of this forum "filth." If you believe that a religion shouldn't be "insulted" so easily, you haven't been reading the forums that are actually sexual. You'd probably call those forums "lewd" - - and inappropriate for brunch as well! 😇

You also implied that another member doesn't have a brain. 

I see that name-calling comes easy to you. 

15 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

So you called a member of this forum "filth." If you believe that a religion shouldn't be "insulted" so easily, you haven't been reading the forums that are actually sexual. You'd probably call those forums "lewd" - - and inappropriate for brunch as well! 😇

You also implied that another member doesn't have a brain. 

I see that name-calling comes easy to you. 

Hey boo, go back to school.

It's obvious you can't read or comprehend what you read.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:04 AM, Unicorn said:

It's not how you say it; it's what you say. Do the drag queens promote hate and intolerance?

No, they don’t.  But isn’t it true that often one person’s belief is another’s intolerance? “Tolerance” would allow him equal time   It’s usually the one who knows they have a weak position who resorts to blocking tactics to stifle another.  

remember, as Adam Smith said - “Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent”

Edited by BnaC

22 minutes ago, BnaC said:

No, they don’t.  But isn’t it true that often one person’s belief is another’s intolerance?   Whether it’s intolerant or not usually depends on which side of the issue your belief lies.    The issue in this post is whether someone like Kirk Cameron should be given equal time.  “Tolerance” would allow him the same access…so, it’s not HIM being intolerant.  

It’s usually the one who knows they don’t have a case who resorts to blocking tactics to stifle another.  

You may not be understanding the critical difference. The drag queens are not reading anything which preaches intolerance. Kirk Cameron is (due to his very specific religious views). If Kirk Cameron were reading books which didn't teach intolerance, I'd have no problem, nor would the libraries. Teaching intolerance and hatred leads to a lot of problems we're seeing in many countries (including the US, of course). 

57 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

You may not be understanding the critical difference. The drag queens are not reading anything which preaches intolerance. Kirk Cameron is (due to his very specific religious views). If Kirk Cameron were reading books which didn't teach intolerance, I'd have no problem, nor would the libraries. Teaching intolerance and hatred leads to a lot of problems we're seeing in many countries (including the US, of course). 

So you've read Kirk Cameron's new book?

49 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

No one has established that Cameron is reading anything that preaches intolerance…you’re prejudging him based on the fact that he’s a vocal Christian.  While I’ve not read the 48 page book “As We Grow”, it’s billed as being about the fruits of the spirit (which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control).  It’s about a tree that grows tall despite adversity to provide shade and comfort to those under its branches    My research shows one page with the heretical quote “a tender word is soft and it gives life like spring rain,” or “because you’ve been cared for, care for others,” or “sometimes love hurts but love is always worth it.”  Such intolerance indeed!

now  perhaps you believe the book is an allegorical work with a hidden meaning and agenda to indoctrinate the reader into a specific belief system?   But, of course, the drag friendly LGBTQ proponents of drag queen story hour would never want to be accused of doing the same thing, right? 🤨🙄

The only intolerance I’m seeing here is from those barring Kirk Cameron.

@samhexum, thanks for bringing this up…my grandchildren will be here for Christmas….I’m ordering the book now.

8 hours ago, BnaC said:

No one has established that Cameron is reading anything that preaches intolerance

Agreed. No one here seems to be able to pinpoint exactly what's "intolerant" about this book.

I remember years ago, I was waiting in line to see "The Last Temptation of Christ". Some woman came up to me, and said "can I please beg you to not support this film"...I asked "why". She said it's anti-Christian and blasphemous. So I said to her..."so you've SEEN the film" ? and she answered "Of course NOT ! ".  "Well"...I said. " THEN HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THAT IT'S "BLASPHEMOUS !?! " ( she walked away ) People are so quick to assume the worst of everyone that they don't agree with.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

9 hours ago, BSR said:

So you've read Kirk Cameron's new book?

Well, no. I haven't read Mein Kampf either, have you? I will confess that I have only been informed by the media about his book's contents. If there's no intolerance in the book, either implicit or explicit, then I'd have no problem with KC reading to children. Though I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with my children hearing him, or Ye, for example, speak, for fear of what might be unscripted.

15 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Though I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with my children hearing him, or Ye, for example, speak, for fear of what might be unscripted.

But, you're TOTALLY ok with your kids seeing a drag queen perform in front of them and you are not the slightest bit concerned that the unscripted parts of their performance will be sexual in nature - as most drag performers are?

Judgmental 'Christians' are real head-scratchers for yours truly.  Even after seventy years, I can still recall a Sunday School passage saying "Judge not lest ye be judged".  The apostle Paul had more to say:

“You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat… So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister”

When I come across a self-professed Christian missing this most basic of Christian teachings, it makes me wonder what else he's missed. unsure.gif

Truth to tell, I went through my own judgmental phase in my thirties.  I'd achieved many of the middle-class dreams and figured if I could just get everybody to follow my lead they'd be much better off.  It took me until my forties to realize that, not only had I been given advantages that many others had not, but I also had plenty of my own shortcomings to deal with.

That's true to this day and, whenever I get the urge to judge somebody else, I realize that I'd be much better off turning my sage advice inward as there's still a bit more work to be done.  rolleyes.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRedkNFoYa-9M06fj85b7H

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, no. I haven't read Mein Kampf either, have you? I will confess that I have only been informed by the media about his book's contents. If there's no intolerance in the book, either implicit or explicit, then I'd have no problem with KC reading to children. Though I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with my children hearing him, or Ye, for example, speak, for fear of what might be unscripted.

Understood.  I’ve not read Mein Kampf…but I also don’t speak of it.     But isn’t the core issue the fact that prejudging the content based on his Christian beliefs is a form of inherent intolerance??   It seems that complete intolerance of Christians is “justifiable” under a perversely justified double standard….at least from my view.  

Edited by BnaC