Colognes that trip memories

BeamerBikes

Having come of age in the mid 90s, there are some memorable ones for me. 

Red Joop - I could take it or leave it, but had a few bfs that loved it. 

Blue Joop aka NightFlight and Cool Water - I'll sometime wear it to remember someone from my past. 

Eternity - holy crap if anyone ever wants to remember why no smoking in bars is a good thing?  That scent was so strong it could still cut through 4 hours of a smoky bar. Wear it today - definitely a little bit will do. 

Edited by BeamerBikes
Grammar

The original green polo used to be "in" when I was an undergraduate at UCLA, so lots of men were wearing it, and it's probably the only cologne that brings me back. 

Ralph Lauren Men's Polo Eau de Toilette Spray, 8 oz & Reviews - Cologne -  Beauty - Macy's

4711 advertisement hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Cologne Cathedral - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

4711 - Wikipedia

Edited by Unicorn

In my preppy college years and shortly afterwards I used Royall Bay Rhum after shave, much to the amusement of my friends. I never wore eau de cologne and haven’t used that after shave since my late 20’s. Now I hate scents and always ask providers to please not wear any.

https://royall-bermuda.com/products/royall-bayrhum-57

I have always used Oscar de la Renta's Pour Lui.  I have always gotten compliments about it, and many people have mentioned that it is "fresh" smelling.  About 10 years ago, I couldn't find it anywhere.  Luckily I found a perfumery in Europe that would ship it, but alas, that also ended.  Mow I am down to my last bottle.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:05 PM, KrisParr said:

CK’s Obsession paired with an aromatic leather jacket = bliss.  And then I switched to L’eau D’issey (Issey Miyake) that still gets a response after many years.

Issey also makes a sport and night version of it.  

I loved international travel for the duty free shops having such a wide selection of colognes to test out and buy.  

I started using cologne in the 1970’s… first tried Polo (green bottle) and then I moved on to Eau Sauvage (before it became just Savage), then CK Obsession, D&G Light Blue and a few others from Macy’s. I’ve always liked having a signature scent that men (and some women) would comment on saying how great I smelled. For the past couple of decades have been faithful to Mont Blanc Legend and Legend Spirit. I initially tried MB because I thought the model (Simon Clark) on the box was so hot… ruggedly handsome with his intense eyes. stubble, thick hair and turtleneck sweater… a look I would copy in my younger days! 

F94CA68F-DBAA-46AC-8CFE-B700D6603D94.jpeg.05745a3fee4e4f0045651681f2f86535.jpeg

Started in the 70s too, as a teenager....My first one for few years was called Drakkar. I loved it. I wish I could smell it again but it was discontinued when it was replaced by Drakkar Noir, which I didn't like.

I switched to Armani which became MY cologne. I still have a bottle, my I use it perhaps once a year if ever...

I have a fragrance for every season. One of my fond habits is to rotate to the next fragrance. About to switch from Dolce and Gabbana’s The One to my winter bottle of Ferragamo F Black. 😁 D&G goes well with my fall wear like leather jackets and I remember picking it out at Macy’s flagship store in NYC 8 years ago…picked up the salesman the same day! 😉

In the 1980s and working at a branch of the late, great Filene’s in Albany, NY, I wore a variety of fragrances to suit my mood or according to the season. Most of the ones I wore back then don’t exist in their current form. Eau Sauvage by Dior in the summer, L’Homme by Roger & Gallet or Pour Monsieur by Chanel in the winter. The original Obsession by Calvin Klein takes me back to the gay bars of Albany although I never wore it myself. You could smell it everywhere. 

ln Manhattan in the 1990s, CK One by Calvin Klein was everywhere, another one I never wore but you could smell it everywhere you went. It was the return of fragrances that were considered unisex. 

The best memory I have of a fragrance is Santal Massoïa by Hermès, it brings me back to when it first came out and was the first cologne I smelled that seemed like it had seratonin actually in the bottle, it made me happy. I’m sure it doesn’t have mood enhancers in it, but it’s definitely happiness in a bottle. 

On 11/24/2022 at 12:04 PM, Bucky said:

Who could forget that pungent, slightly offensive Abercrombie and Fitch crap we had to endure as we passed by the entrance in the mall for the 5th time that day.  

Remember Abercrombie & Fitch's topless models? Netflix documentary reflects  on the brand's bad old days, from its hiring to a racist T-shirt | South  China Morning Post

Those we're the days.  They completely de-sexualized Abercrombie so that it looks like every other store now a days. It's very family friendly aka boring. 

Woods was my favorite though.