Some Like It Hot

skynyc

I saw the final dress of this new musical on Monday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it will be a big hit. Very faithful to the original movie, with modern sensibilities that work. Sweet Sue is a fabulous Black Bandleader/singer, with an Ella vibe and lots of sass. Sugar is also Black...(Catherine Hicks who was the original Catherine of Aragon in Six on Broadway,) and nicely developed from the character made so famous by Marilyn Monroe. Christian Borle is Josephine (the Tony Curtis part) and is wonderful, doing some of his funny schtick. The real stand-out for me was J Harrison Gee as Daphne. He was a sensational Lola in Kinky Boots near the end of the run, and here he stole the show. Has a second act anthem which is comparable to I Am What I Am from La Cage, and may just win Mr. Gee a Tony. 
Score is by Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman and it's their best effort since Hairspray. The book is full of very funny quips and takes. (No programs...not sure who wrote it.). Directed by Casey Nicholaw who knows what people like in a rollicking escape of a musical. Sets and costumes are great period 1933. (Fun for theatergoers, one understudy was on in the ensemble, and a couple of her costumes weren't ready...so she went on in cobbled together "trying to be appropriate" rehearsal clothes in two numbers.) 

Worthy of it's own discussion/topic, but there are a lot of important shows on playing right now which have gotten rave reviews and accolades: Death of a Salesman, Cost of Living, The Piano Lesson, Raisin in the Sun, Top Dog/Underdog. But looking at weekly grosses and ticket offers, folks aren't going to them in the numbers expected. Broadway has gotten so expensive, I have to wonder that if one is only going a couple times a year, they're not looking to be "edified", they're looking to be entertained. 

Well, I do think Some Like It Hot needs a little trim...running almost three hours (with a very long intermission), but this theater-goer was VERY entertained. I actually have tickets for two more upcoming performances...one purchased on TDF...where there is still some availability for $57...and one purchased with a discount code which expired on 10/31. I will keep you posted if there are changes. 

Thanks for the boots-on-the-ground report.  I'm seeing this later in the month (and excited to hear the score...  Even the recycled bits Shaiman used from Smash)

What irks me is that online chatter is already going full-woke over the subject matter and how it's being handled.

Is the show really that problematic?

Edit:  As for ticket pricing, right now people want to be entertained, hence why you're seeing discounts for the more serious plays, but shows like Moulin Rouge and Wicked remain sellouts at nearly full-price.  I'm seeing tickets for Salesman as low as $20 on TDF.  That makes me sad.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

Saw this afternoon’s matinee which appeared to be sold out. I got a 15th row center orchestra seat on the aisle on tdf for $57.  So inexpensive. 

The show sticks pretty closely to the movie plot so no real surprises there. It tries hard with lots of energetic singing and dancing. Performers are all good. It has quite nice sets and costumes. The music was pretty lively while being performed but forgettable after it ended  

I think it may do well but it lacks the charisma of the movie’s original stars which just can’t be topped. 

I agree with the reports by @skynycand @foxy. Yes, full house at Wednesday’s matinee. 

“Some Like it Hot” will attract the older audience. So, expect the Wednesday matinees to be full house. 

The very talented cast works their butts off in this production. I was exhausted watching some of those dance/singing numbers. The police chase number is very funny and involved the entire cast. 

The play is still in previews. I’ll be interested in reading what the critics think. 

• 1 month later...

Finally caught the show the night before opening.

It's old school Broadway entertainment.  Yuk-yuk style punchlines, belty voices, big dance numbers and a silly plot line that makes zero sense, but somehow works.

Marc Shaiman recycles some oldies from Smash.  Always fun to hear live.

Adrianna Hicks, while a fantastic singer, is no actress.  She was the weak spot for me in the show, actually.  Her line readings were flat.  Her 11 o'clock number(s) were great.

Natasha Williams kills as Sweet Sue.  

Tons of Broadway vets in the show (Angie Schworer, Jenny Hill, Adam Heller).

The show works because the cast makes it look effortless and like they're having fun.

• 3 months later...