How Did My Printer Go Offline?

Lucky

I can't print anything from my computer to the printer. I always have been able to, but now it says that my printer is offline.

When I got that message in the past, I would restart the printer and it would work No more!

Any advice?

For the times I've seen this happen, the printer received a different IP address from your router (it's assigned via DHCP).  Your computer is looking for the printer on one IP address when it's actually on another.  

You might consider assigning a static address to the printer so that it does not change addresses later.  

If you have a VPN app, it could be that.

When I experienced your situation, I clicked off the VPN app (I use ExpressVPN). The printer then connected in its usual fashion.

If that's the case, don't forget to click the VPN app back on again.  🙂

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I can't print anything from my computer to the printer. I always have been able to, but now it says that my printer is offline.

When I got that message in the past, I would restart the printer and it would work No more!

Any advice?

Check the cable connection.  Make sure the cable from the printer to the hard drive has not become loose, or any of the prongs become bent.

12 hours ago, Rudynate said:

HP printers are the absolute worst for this - they have become so complicated that they are almost unusable. Occasionally, I have had to reinstall the software.

I wouldn't know how to do that!