A bad look for Clorox and Pine Sol

samhexum

Aren't they supposed to, you know, sanitize things?

The Clorox Company has recalled certain Pine-Sol cleaning products in connection to a bacteria exposure risk, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said Tuesday. 

Safety regulators said consumers should “immediately stop” using certain Pine-Sol cleaning products due to the possibility of them containing bacteria, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa. They should take pictures of the UPC and date codes before disposing of them, the CPSC said.

Exposure to the bacteria for people who have weakened immune systems or use external medical devices carries a “risk of serious infection that may require medical treatment,” according to the CPSC.

“With the health and safety of our products a top priority, Pine-Sol issued a voluntary recall of select scented Pine-Sol products, given some products may contain a bacteria,” Clorox told FOX Business. “People with healthy immune systems are usually not affected by the bacteria. We are issuing the voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution.”

The following products with date codes starting with “A4” and followed by a five-digit number below 22249 are affected by the recall:

• Pine-Sol Scented Multi-Surface Cleaners in Lavender Clean, Sparkling Wave and Lemon Fresh scents.
  • CloroxPro Pine-Sol All Purpose Cleaners in Lavender Clean, Sparkling Wave, Lemon Fresh and Orange Energy scents.
  • Clorox Professional Pine-Sol Lemon Fresh Cleaners.

Both Clorox and the CPSC noted that Original Pine-Sol (Pine Scent) has not been recalled.

The affected products came in 28, 48, 60, 100, 144 and 175 fluid ounce bottles, according to the CPSC. 

“To date, testing has identified bacteria in certain recalled products, including those produced between January 2021 and September 2022,” the warning notice said. “Clorox produced approximately 37 million recalled products in that period.”

No incidents have been reported in connection to the recall, according to the CPSC warning notice.Then affected products were sold on Amazon and other websites, CPSC said. They were also sold at retailers including Walmart, Sam’s Club, Dollar General, Target, Home Depot, BJ’s, Kroger, Dollar Tree, Lowe’s and Publix. 

Customers can visit pinesolrecall.com to request a reimbursement, Clorox told FOX Business. 

10 hours ago, Mercury said:

Threw my bottle out immediately 

I did the same, but I think I may have been too late.

Last Friday I mopped my floors with the Pine-Sol.  Shortly thereafter flu symptoms came from nowhere.

I had two days of sore throat, then twenty-four hours of chills, then chest congestion, coughing, slight fever and runny nose.

Finally, the symptoms are diminishing.  I can't prove Pine-Sol is the culprit, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

39 minutes ago, sync said:

Last Friday I mopped my floors with the Pine-Sol.  Shortly thereafter flu symptoms came from nowhere.

I had two days of sore throat, then twenty-four hours of chills, then chest congestion, coughing, slight fever and runny nose.

Finally, the symptoms are diminishing.  I can't prove Pine-Sol is the culprit, but it's a hell of a coincidence.

Same happened to me about a month ago and couldn’t figure out why. I don’t believe I was exposed to anyone who was sick (or had symptoms). Can’t really prove it was the cause. The number on my bottle was in the 18000’s.  

1 hour ago, sync said:

Those symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with Pseudomonas. And influenza isn't spread from Pine Sol, or from surfaces in general. 

Also, I don't know what you mean by "shortly thereafter," but the incubation period for influenza is about 2 days, and for SARS-CoV2 and other cold viruses, a bit longer. 

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Also, I don't know what you mean by "shortly thereafter," but the incubation period for influenza is about 2 days, and for SARS-CoV2 and other cold viruses, a bit longer. 

My symptoms were barely within your timeframe.

I mopped my floors about midday Friday and began experiencing a sore throat the following Sunday afternoon.

Following are symptoms of Pseudomonas I copied from the Medical News Today website.  I have bolded, italicized, and underscored the symptoms I experienced.

Common symptoms of the infections include:

• Ears: Pain, itching, and liquid discharge.
  • Skin: Rashes, which may consist of pus-filled pimples.
  • Eyes: Pain and redness.
  • In the lungs: Pneumonia, coughing, and congestion.
  • Soft tissue: Discharge of green pus and a sweet, fruity smell.
  • In the blood: Joint pain and stiffness, fever, chills, and fatigue.
  • Other possible symptoms: A headache, diarrhea, or urinary tract infection.
Edited by sync

9 hours ago, sync said:

My symptoms were barely within your timeframe.

I mopped my floors about midday Friday and began experiencing a sore throat the following Sunday afternoon.

Following are symptoms of Pseudomonas I copied from the Medical News Today website.  I have bolded, italicized, and underscored the symptoms I experienced.

Common symptoms of the infections include:

• Ears: Pain, itching, and liquid discharge.
  • Skin: Rashes, which may consist of pus-filled pimples.
  • Eyes: Pain and redness.
  • In the lungs: Pneumonia, coughing, and congestion.
  • Soft tissue: Discharge of green pus and a sweet, fruity smell.
  • In the blood: Joint pain and stiffness, fever, chills, and fatigue.
  • Other possible symptoms: A headache, diarrhea, or urinary tract infection.

Well, you certainly hadn't mentioned in your prior post that you had a green discharge with a fruity smell from your skin (odor often described as sweet corn), nor a urinary tract infection, in your prior post. Pseudomonas pneumonia is very rare except in immunocompromised, cystic fibrosis, etc., and you'd probably need to be hospitalized if you had pneumonia from Pseudomonas. I've never heard of someone getting pneumonia, a UTI, and a skin infection at the same time from this bug, let alone due to touching some Pine Sol. 

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Well, you certainly hadn't mentioned in your prior post that you had a green discharge with a fruity smell from your skin (odor often described as sweet corn), nor a urinary tract infection, in your prior post. Pseudomonas pneumonia is very rare except in immunocompromised, cystic fibrosis, etc., and you'd probably need to be hospitalized if you had pneumonia from Pseudomonas. I've never heard of someone getting pneumonia, a UTI, and a skin infection at the same time from this bug, let alone due to touching some Pine Sol. 

No, I hadn't mentioned those symptoms in my prior post because I did not experience those symptoms.

If you re-read my prior post you will see that I explicitly stated that I bolded, italicized, and underscored the symptoms that I experienced:  coughing, congestion, stiffness, fever, chills, fatigue, and headache.

3 hours ago, sync said:

No, I hadn't mentioned those symptoms in my prior post because I did not experience those symptoms.

If you re-read my prior post you will see that I explicitly stated that I bolded, italicized, and underscored the symptoms that I experienced:  coughing, congestion, stiffness, fever, chills, fatigue, and headache.

Well, I doubt you had pneumonia, mainly because you'd probably have been in the hospital. The symptoms you mentioned are extremely nonspecific could be any respiratory illness, unlikely pseudomonas. Pseudomonas pneumonia is seen mostly in people with cystic fibrosis and those who are already in the hospital on ventilators. I can still remember the first time I was introduced to a skin abscess with pseudomonas, though--even though I can't remember if it was in medical school or residency (decades ago, at UCLA). The attending had us all come it to smell the discharge, because it's quite specific for pseudomonas (kind of like candy corn). Now if you told me you'd had that, then I'd be convinced.

image.thumb.png.27661ae1ab5e614bfc643e62bb4b6be9.png

6 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Well, I doubt you had pneumonia, mainly because you'd probably have been in the hospital. The symptoms you mentioned are extremely nonspecific could be any respiratory illness, unlikely pseudomonas. Pseudomonas pneumonia is seen mostly in people with cystic fibrosis and those who are already in the hospital on ventilators. I can still remember the first time I was introduced to a skin abscess with pseudomonas, though--even though I can't remember if it was in medical school or residency (decades ago, at UCLA). The attending had us all come it to smell the discharge, because it's quite specific for pseudomonas (kind of like candy corn). Now if you told me you'd had that, then I'd be convinced.

image.thumb.png.27661ae1ab5e614bfc643e62bb4b6be9.png

Please know that I mean no disrespect, but it would be easier for me accept your conclusions if you can assure me that you know for certain that symptoms from a Pseudomonas infection would be neither augmented nor dimished if the victim is in reasonalbly good health and has had all five Covid inoculations along with the enhanced 65+ flu vaccine.

36 minutes ago, sync said:

Please know that I mean no disrespect, but it would be easier for me accept your conclusions if you can assure me that you know for certain that symptoms from a Pseudomonas infection would be neither augmented nor dimished if the victim is in reasonalbly good health and has had all five Covid inoculations along with the enhanced 65+ flu vaccine.

Pseudomonas almost never causes respiratory illness except in people with cystic fibrosis or intubated (on a ventilator), immunocompromised people. One can never say 100% for anything in medicine, but it would be fair to say that it's 99.999% certain that Pseudomonas was not the cause of your symptoms. Also, that bacterium can be found almost everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Pseudomonas almost never causes respiratory illness except in people with cystic fibrosis or intubated (on a ventilator), immunocompromised people. One can never say 100% for anything in medicine, but it would be fair to say that it's 99.999% certain that Pseudomonas was not the cause of your symptoms. Also, that bacterium can be found almost everywhere.

Okay. 🙂

On 10/26/2022 at 12:55 AM, samhexum said:

Aren't they supposed to, you know, sanitize things?

Did you mean "disinfect" things? No, they aren't supposed to. All the products you listed are cleaners rather than disinfectants.

Actually, only a small proportion of Clorox products these days will kill bacteria. For example, only Clorox "Regular" Bleach is a disinfectant that will kill 99.99% of bacteria and other nasties. The other bleach products will simply "clean" and/or "sanitize." 

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2022 at 3:48 PM, Unicorn said:

I have recently come upon some information that has brought me over to your side.

The ImmunizationInfo.com website posted the following side effects of the flu shot.  I experienced all but the bruising, vomiting and irritability (I'm rather easygoing).

Apparently, I should not have begun my floorcare efforts so soon after I received my flu shot.  

My apologies to you and Pine-Sol.  

Can the flu vaccine cause the flu?

No. Some people who get a flu shot develop mild flu-like symptoms as their body develops immunity, but flu shots can’t actually cause the flu. The vaccines are either inactivated or recombinant, which means the viruses in the vaccines are not infectious or they are particles disguised as a flu virus to trick the immune system.

What are common side effects?

• Bruising
  • Chills
  • Cough
  • Diarrhea
  • Ear ache
  • Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Itching
  • Irritability
  • Joint pain