When you're feeling deflated...

samhexum

Filling up your car tires used to be free at gas stations across the country. Not so much anymore. Gas stations in some states are required to provide motorists with access to compressed air. But while the air is free, the gas stations are allowed to charge you for use of their compressors. Connecticut is an exception. The law there requires gas retailers to provide “an operable free air compressor.”

Fed up with paying to maintain the correct tire pressure? FreeAirPump.com can help. It provides a list of gas stations and convenience stores around the country that offer free air.

Pump You Up GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yep, there have been times I've had to go to the nearest station due to a low tire, and then had to scrounge around for quarters to pay for the use of the compressor for AIR. We do now have a lot of Wawa stations around which offer free use of their air compressors and I try to get there if it's urgent. Due to previous experiences with low tire pressure though, I now keep a small air compressor in my car that plugs into what used to be the lighter socket. (The car didn't come with a lighter, so I'm not sure what purpose the socket serves other than to power my portable air compressor.)

17 hours ago, purplekow said:

At the local Costco here, you do not have to provide proof of membership to use the compressors.  

Yes, you are supposed to be a member but at the locations where the compressors are self-serve it isn't like you have to swipe or tag your membership card to get the compressor to work.  I understand that in some locations the compressors are in the tire center and an employee has to be the person to fill your tires.  I don't know whether those employees ask to look at a membership card before filling the tires.