Do guys flirt or cruise on the Gym Floor (not in the locker room or sauna) anymore?

musclelover

On 8/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, KrisParr said:

“As to users being on their phones, my beef with using phones is that a lot of guys will sit at a workout machine and text and make long phone calls, thus, tying up a machine while others are waiting to use the machine they are sitting at while on their phone.”

This drives me crazy. I’ve talked to the gym manager about the issue and he’s caught in a tough spot - sort of boils down to which customer to piss off. And there are so many signs posted about everything that no one reads them.  

I was at my gym today and noticed a new type of gym machine hog.  

The guy (machine hog) brought a small kitchen type towel with him to the gym then wet the towel in the drinking fountain then put the wet towel over the seating area of a machine he had been using while he was off using a different nearby machine.  As I wanted to use the machine that was occupied with the wet toweI, I asked him about the towel that he left on the machine he had just used and left to go to a nearby machine.  His answer was priceless - "I want to keep that machine clear so I can go back and use it after I finish with this machine."

I did not bother to respond further with him.  How can one teach manners to someone so inconsiderate of others in a public gym where we all pay a fee to use the gym?

Periodically, he was sitting at each machine while texting and talking on his phone. 

But, he did not seem to be "flirting" with anyone in the gym.

10 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

I was at my gym today and noticed a new type of gym machine hog.  

The guy (machine hog) brought a small kitchen type towel with him to the gym then wet the towel in the drinking fountain then put the wet towel over the seating area of a machine he had been using while he was off using a different nearby machine.  As I wanted to use the machine that was occupied with the wet toweI, I asked him about the towel that he left on the machine he had just used and left to go to a nearby machine.  His answer was priceless - "I want to keep that machine clear so I can go back and use it after I finish with this machine."

I did not bother to respond further with him.  How can one teach manners to someone so inconsiderate of others in a public gym where we all pay a fee to use the gym?

Periodically, he was sitting at each machine while texting and talking on his phone. 

But, he did not seem to be "flirting" with anyone in the gym.

Just move his towel and use the machine.

The guy's an asshole.  Some assholes need to be told, directly.

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Thanks for your common sense reply.  If someone is too self-centered or stupid to understand that other people might need to work in with them in a public gym, then the appropriate response is simply to move their stuff out of the way so you can use the machine you want.  In all honesty, however, I don't think most guys are big enough jerks to deny a reasonable request to work in; they just are hoping that no one will call them out on their narcissistic behavior so the machines they want to use are available at the precise moment they want to use them.

28 minutes ago, maninsoma said:

Thanks for your common sense reply.  If someone is too self-centered or stupid to understand that other people might need to work in with them in a public gym, then the appropriate response is simply to move their stuff out of the way so you can use the machine you want.  In all honesty, however, I don't think most guys are big enough jerks to deny a reasonable request to work in; they just are hoping that no one will call them out on their narcissistic behavior so the machines they want to use are available at the precise moment they want to use them.

You're right that there's a definite line between inept narcissist and a person who's just momentarily oblivious.  

I try to give guys the benefit of the doubt...  Until I don't.

Like when people don't use headphones in airports, airplanes or gyms, I wait a second to see if they're just really into their set/work/etc.  If they don't realize it or, worse, realize it and don't care, I tell them directly to stop.

4 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Sounds like a fight waiting to happen. 😂 You’re braver than me. 😀  I always try to avoid confrontations when out in public.

Edited by caramelsub

Just now, caramelsub said:

Sounds like a fight waiting to happen. 😂 You’re braver than me. I always try to avoid confrontations when out in public.

Directly isn't necessarily in a rude way.  It's just direct.

If they're not willing to let you work in, they need to know they're not the only people at the gym.

I never let my stature fool me into thinking I'm going to win every fistfight.  So, I try not to get to that point ;)

5 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

It's maddening.  Very few people seem aware of gym eitquette any more.     If somebody is hogging a piece of equipment, you have to be assertive.  I always say - "how many sets do you have left?"  It it's one or two, I don't say anymore, but if they tell me 6 or 8, I say "i'd like to work in with you."    They never say "no." The ones who really burn me, are those who spend 5 minutes between sets fiddling with their phone.   I just say, "While you're busy with your phone, can I use that equipment."  They're never happy, but they know they are wrong. 

I had one situation that escalated and I ended up calling in the management.