Must be the End of Days...now POLIO in NYC

Jim_n_NYC

Child vaccination rates in the US have been dropping for years.  I guess it was inevitable polio would rear it's ugly head again.  Here is an article from today's paper citing the issue of lower vaccination rates amongst Michigan toddlers.  I'm sure the same is happening in many states across the country.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/08/09/michigans-childhood-immunization-rates-vaccine-fears/10266489002/

1 hour ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Child vaccination rates in the US have been dropping for years.  I guess it was inevitable polio would rear it's ugly head again.  Here is an article from today's paper citing the issue of lower vaccination rates amongst Michigan toddlers.  I'm sure the same is happening in many states across the country.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/08/09/michigans-childhood-immunization-rates-vaccine-fears/10266489002/

I don't doubt it.  The anti-vax movement is going to cause a resurgence of several diseases in the future.

Here in Canada there is concern about polio being on the resurgence again. This time amongst Afghan refugees who are arriving here without having been vaccinated. Why this was not dealt with at the border before admitting them is beyond me. Sheer incompetence.

I'm of the generation that last witnessed large outbreaks of polio. My oldest brother contracted it in 1949 when I was two. Luckily my mother caught it early and rushed him to the hospital from our country home,a three hour trip at the time.  He spent 6 weeks in the hospital and suffered no permanent paralysis.

Years later reading about FDR, his outcome was much worse as his doctors in the location where he was summer vacationing (Campobello, Canada) missed the diagnosis. He was crippled for the rest of his life.

42 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Years later reading about FDR, his outcome was much worse as his doctors in the location where he was summer vacationing (Campobello, Canada) missed the diagnosis.

There is no treatment for polio. So it doesn’t really matter if FDR’s doctors
got the diagnosis right or wrong. The outcome would have been the same. 

12 hours ago, nycman said:

There is no treatment for polio. So it doesn’t really matter if FDR’s doctors
got the diagnosis right or wrong. The outcome would have been the same. 

Wrong. There us no cure for polio but there are treatments, which can improve outcomes. In FDR's case Dr W W Keen, an outstanding neurosurgeon but in his 90's, misdiagnosed the disease and precious weeks were lost by giving the wrong treatments which made matters worse. 

To give him credit, he was long retired and was vacationing in Bar Harbour Maine, far away from his clinical base in Philadelphia. I only know about him as he operated on my great uncle and have the entire medical record from him about the unsuccessful outcome in that case too.

17 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Wrong. There us no cure for polio but there are treatments, which can improve outcomes.

Please sight your miraculous treatments.

I suspect you may be eligible for the next Noble Prize in Medicine.

Let me quote UpToDate, a widely respected online medical text:

"Treatment of poliomyelitis is supportive".
Which is medical talk for:
Feed, water, and turn them. Intubate them when you have to.
Nothing you do is going to make the disease better or worse.

"There are no approved antiviral therapies for poliomyelitis."
True today, and certainly true in FDR’s time.

The Noble committee eagerly awaits your response……

15 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Here in Canada there is concern about polio being on the resurgence again. This time amongst Afghan refugees who are arriving here without having been vaccinated. Why this was not dealt with at the border before admitting them is beyond me. Sheer incompetence.

Usually before immigration takes place, doesn't the applicant need to show they are current with all vaccinations? 

1 hour ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I think that in this case (of Polio) that since no one in country has been vaxed for Polio since 1972, it might not be a required vaccine...unless the country has a policy that immigrants have specific vaccines prior to immigrating. 

Aren't children or babies still vaccinated for polio?