Historical Events for 6th August 2022

CoM Moderators

1890 - At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the 1st person to be executed by electric chair
1905 - 26.7 cm rainfall at Princeton, Indiana (state record)
1915 - The British land more troops at Suvla Bay on the northern shore of Gallipoli in an effort to break the stalemate on the peninsula during WWI
1934 - US troops leave Haiti, which had been occupied since 1915
1937 - US and USSR sign trade treaty
1956 - After going bankrupt in 1955, the American national broadcaster DuMont Television Network makes its final broadcast, a boxing match from St. Nicholas Arena
1965 - Pakistani soldiers crossed the Line of Control into Kashmir
1982 - Three ANC members are sentenced to death in South Africa
1984 - 203.05 million shares traded in NY Stock Exchange
2006 - British Open Women's Golf, Royal Lytham and St Annes GC: 43 year old American Sherri Steinhauer wins her second major title, 3 strokes ahead of Sophie Gustafson and Cristie Kerr

More Historical Events »

13 hours ago, sync said:

It is listed within the "More Historical Events" link, which takes you to: Today's Historical Events - On This Day

You will have to scroll for a bit because the events are listed chronologically. 

I could find it in a history book too. Is it the idea of having this info posted that we have to work to find major events?

New Jersey's record rainfall is important, but not the first nuke ever dropped on people?

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I could find it in a history book too. Is it the idea of having this info posted that we have to work to find major events?

New Jersey's record rainfall is important, but not the first nuke ever dropped on people?

It seems that a likely purpose of this thread is to prompt discussion and it seems it has, although few days' lists attract any commentary. As I understand it this is a list composed by one of those 'list of' apps and is posted here automatically so doesn't [standard disclaimer] management views here!

And Princeton, Indiana, btw. (I confess that I have been surprised that there are so many non-US events recorded in these posts!)

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

If clicking on a provided link is too much work, you are missing a lot of site information.  😆

So I guess this regular list is not human-curated, highlighting the events that change the world, but rather a limited compilation of chronologically- listed random events. And that’s cool. We can use the linked resource on our own each day if wanting a more thorough look.
I’ve always remembered the day with Hiroshima because it was also my sister’s birthday and she was always pissed to have to share her day with such an awful, tragic event. (Not unlike those born on Sept. 11)