Public transit thank yous

RealAvalon

Where I live it's still a common practice for people to shout out "thank you" to the bus driver as people of getting off at there stop.  A pleasant hold over of previous times.  xxxx 

Do people still say thank you to the driver where you are when alighting? 

Or other pleasant social norms still surviving through these times? 

NOTE:  This message has been edited to remove content that does not conform to this site's guidelines.

I live in NYC, if I’m taking an MTA bus it’s just habit at this point when I get on, and say “good morning/afternoon/hello/etc”. Similarly, getting off, I say “thank you, drive safe”. I do the same with cabs, Ubers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

What was that expression - “manners are the cornerstone of a civilized society”? I think we see every day on the news what happens when there is an absence of manners. 

BBD 

covid rules have altered bus loading procedures in my area......riders must board toward the rear of the bus and many get off that way, too......so pleasantries are not really possible........however, the city council just extended entirely free public transit to the end of the year (covid holdover).....THANK YOU!

In Phoenix, people routinely thank the bus driver when they leave the bus. This was even true during the pandemic. On light rail, the driver sits behind a locked door, but passengers will thank the fare inspectors when they happen to be on board.

Here in San Francisco, where I have been staying the last week, almost every rider thanks the driver upon leaving the bus.

5 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

covid rules have altered bus loading procedures in my area......riders must board toward the rear of the bus and many get off that way, too......so pleasantries are not really possible........however, the city council just extended entirely free public transit to the end of the year (covid holdover).....THANK YOU!

We had similar rules during the height of covid, but they’ve been gone (along with free transit) for must be a year at least now. I’m actually surprised to read some localities still have such rules in place. In NY the MTA lost something like $8.5BIL during covid due to decreased ridership during lockdown, then free fairs after, I’m imagining that’s the case everywhere, which is why I’m surprised such rules are still in place. 

41 minutes ago, BtmBearDad said:

I live in NYC, if I’m taking an MTA bus it’s just habit at this point when I get on, and say “good morning/afternoon/hello/etc”. Similarly, getting off, I say “thank you, drive safe”. I do the same with cabs, Ubers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

What was that expression - “manners are the cornerstone of a civilized society”? I think we see every day on the news what happens when there is an absence of manners. 

BBD 

Oh, I do to.  But I use the NY shortcut: "Fuck your mother."

Kevin Slater