NYC monkeypox vaccine alerts -- 2nd dose -- 4 week window!

Kevin Slater

...and all gone in like five minutes.  17,000 slots.  I'll post again next time I hear they open up appointments.  One friend told me he got a slot yesterday just by continually checking the website (I guess if anyone cancels?) but that doesn't sound overly promising.

• Kevin Slater changed the title to NYC Monkeypox slots open right now (Fri 7/29 730pm)
  • Kevin Slater pinned, locked and unlocked this topic

The site still lists appointment slots, but it looks like you can't actually book them.  I'm going to unpin this thread and will update if I learn anything more.  It looks to me like Friday afternoons may be when they release what appointments they have, so that may be a good time to check.

Kevin Slater

NYC Alert:

More monkeypox vaccine appointments go live at 6 p.m. today, Thursday, August 4.  The schedule second dose box is no longer grayed out.

https://vax4nyc.nyc.gov/patient/s/monkeypox

You might want to do a trial run beforehand so you can breeze through the steps at 'go' time.

Further details and discussion here

The NYC monkeypox vaccine website now says

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 6.53.39 PM.png

I suspect as they work their way through the backlog, that ten week window will shorten.  It looks like these will be the new intradermal fifth-of-the-original-dose shots.

They just texted that slots (1st dose and, for those jabbed 10 weeks ago, 2nd doses) will open up at 4pm Friday the 2nd.

• Kevin Slater changed the title to NYC monkeypox vaccine alerts -- 2nd doses!
43 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

The NYC monkeypox vaccine website now says

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 6.53.39 PM.png

I suspect as they work their way through the backlog, that ten week window will shorten.  It looks like these will be the new intradermal fifth-of-the-original-dose shots.

They just texted that slots (1st dose and, for those jabbed 10 weeks ago, 2nd doses) will open up at 4pm Friday the 2nd.

Thank you, sir! I just received an email from the NYC Department of Health confirming that I am eligible for my 2nd dose. They indicated I should make an appointment starting tomorrow.  

I want to speak with my primary care first to see if I should wait until the “full shot” is available instead of the intradermal “low dose”. 🩺

26 minutes ago, FrankR said:

Thank you, sir! I just received an email from the NYC Department of Health confirming that I am eligible for my 2nd dose. They indicated I should make an appointment starting tomorrow.  

I want to speak with my primary care first to see if I should wait until the “full shot” is available instead of the intradermal “low dose”. 🩺

I think the only reasons these slots are available is because they’re the stretched-out doses. I don’t see us reverting to the original dose any time soon. (I read one article implying the feds were only distributing vials to localities agreeing to give lesser doses.)

My take would be to go for the bird in the hand, but report back if your fancy doctor with a medical degree thinks she knows better than some random hooker on the net.  

Just now, musclelover said:

Does anyone have any info on where in the NYC area (NYC suburban counties, NJ, CT, PA) a NYC resident can get a 2nd dose 28 days after their 1st dose, if we don't want to wait 10 weeks?  

I don't think you're going to have to wait 10 weeks.  I don't know how long, but that is just the first batch since they're the longest.  I'm sure as they catch up on the 2nd doses, the time in between is going to come down.

3 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

For grins, I got on the site to schedule a second dose (here in NYC) and it says only taking those who had their 1st dose prior to July 3rd.  So, if any of you fall under that...go for it.

Thanks, Jim_n_NYC, for the info.  

I guess that it makes sense that they want to provide 2nd doses to those who received their 1st doses earlier on.  

I'll continue to try to locate a venue for a 2nd shot within a 100 mile radius of NYC.

4 hours ago, musclelover said:

Thanks, Jim_n_NYC, for the info.  

I guess that it makes sense that they want to provide 2nd doses to those who received their 1st doses earlier on.  

I'll continue to try to locate a venue for a 2nd shot within a 100 mile radius of NYC.

I don't know how many 2nd doses they have or if it'll roll out faster than the 1st shots, but I imagine that they will come out quicker.  If that is the case, then I don't think it'll take as long to get people their 2nd dose...in other words, I think the 10 weeks for a second shot should shorten as they go along, hopefully getting to the 4 weeks that's ideal.  How long that would take though, is anyone's guess.

56 minutes ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I don't know how many 2nd doses they have or if it'll roll out faster than the 1st shots, but I imagine that they will come out quicker.  If that is the case, then I don't think it'll take as long to get people their 2nd dose...in other words, I think the 10 weeks for a second shot should shorten as they go along, hopefully getting to the 4 weeks that's ideal.  How long that would take though, is anyone's guess.

Agreed.  I also suspect

• there will be many more doses available now since one vial goes five times further
  • some folk will forgo that second shot (some due to skepticism of the new dosing and delivery, some because prior infection may count as a "dose", some because they feel one is enough)
  • some folk have already received their second doses, either through another jurisdiction or as a second "first dose"

I suspect we'll see that window shorten rather quickly. 

Kevin Slater

8 hours ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

7 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

Agreed.  I also suspect

• there will be many more doses available now since one vial goes five times further
  • some folk will forgo that second shot (some due to skepticism of the new dosing and delivery, some because prior infection may count as a "dose", some because they feel one is enough)
  • some folk have already received their second doses, either through another jurisdiction or as a second "first dose"

I suspect we'll see that window shorten rather quickly. 

Kevin Slater

Thanks, Jim and Kevin.  

Your analysis does make a lot of sense.  I do wish that the NYC Health Department would have put out a statement to that effect.  After all, people have been relying on getting their 2nd shot after 28 days - and all of a sudden, they jump to 10 weeks.  They really do fall short on their messaging efforts.  A little more transparency would go a long way.

1 hour ago, musclelover said:

Thanks, Jim and Kevin.  

Your analysis does make a lot of sense.  I do wish that the NYC Health Department would have put out a statement to that effect.  After all, people have been relying on getting their 2nd shot after 28 days - and all of a sudden, they jump to 10 weeks.  They really do fall short on their messaging efforts.  A little more transparency would go a long way.

I think that since they want as short a time interval between doses, it makes sense they're starting with those at the longest interval now.  Unfortunately, I'm leaving for Europe on Thursday so I doubt I'll get mine until early Oct when I'll be at about 8 weeks.

6 hours ago, musclelover said:

Thanks, Jim and Kevin.  

I think deliberate ambiguity is sometimes the best approach.  In a fluid situation where you don't necessarily know how it's going to play out, you may not  want every armchair pundit slicing and dicing the data and bringing her own criteria into the analysis.  They'd been rather clear that they were prioritizing first doses, and we'd see about second doses when we get there.

Kevin Slater

A complicating factor in all this is the recommendation that a MPX vax not be given within 4 weeks of a Covid booster because of the risk of myocarditis.  We expect new Covid boosters to be available soon, late Sept or early Oct, but that overlaps the window for the MPX II for many.  My priority is the Covid booster, my risk of MPX is really minimal, but others will differ.

4 hours ago, robear said:

A complicating factor in all this is the recommendation that a MPX vax not be given within 4 weeks of a Covid booster because of the risk of myocarditis.  We expect new Covid boosters to be available soon, late Sept or early Oct, but that overlaps the window for the MPX II for many.  My priority is the Covid booster, my risk of MPX is really minimal, but others will differ.

Thanks for pointing that out, Robear.

The guidance that I've seen only goes in one direction, i.e., wait 28 days after your monkeypox jab before getting a Covid jab (to minimize the myocarditis risk).

Although it stands to reason that you would need to wait 28 days after your Covid jab before getting a monkeypox jab, I haven't seen any explicit guidance that imposes such a 28-day waiting period.  But I'm not a science guy, so this is just an educated guess on my part.

Has anyone seen explicit guidance on a 28-day waiting period after a Covid jab BEFORE getting a monkeypox jab?