NYC monkeypox vaccine alerts -- 2nd dose -- 4 week window!

Kevin Slater

When I got my first MPX jab in NYC, one of the screening questions was, have you received a Covid vax or booster in the past 28 days.  If yes, you were disqualified.

Presumably, once the new Covid booster is rolled out there will be guidance about the MPX II shot.

2 hours ago, robear said:

When I got my first MPX jab in NYC, one of the screening questions was, have you received a Covid vax or booster in the past 28 days.  If yes, you were disqualified.

Presumably, once the new Covid booster is rolled out there will be guidance about the MPX II shot.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, robear. 

3 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

They just announced more slots opening up tomorrow, 9/9 at 4pm.  As predicted, they've narrowed the second-shot window to seven weeks (i.e. folk who got their fist shots on or before July 23).  I expect to keep seeing that window narrow.

Kevin Slater

Thanks for the update, Kevin.  You called it correctly!  

On 9/4/2022 at 1:51 PM, musclelover said:

Has anyone seen explicit guidance on a 28-day waiting period after a Covid jab BEFORE getting a monkeypox jab?

Yes, 4 weeks before and after, either sequence of the two products. As a compounding of risk is unknown and the confounding of attribution of an adverse event is greater the shorter the interval.  

Edited by SirBillybob

6 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

Yes, 4 weeks before and after, either sequence of the two products. As a compounding of risk is unknown and the confounding of attribution of an adverse event is greater the shorter the interval.  

Wait...so it's advisable to wait to get the covid bivalent booster 4 weeks after your mpx vaccine?

The Canadian guidance is bidirectional. As I wrote, unknowns about amplifying cardiac risk that is itself subject to demographic variables, as well as sorting out what product would be considered to have prompted, say, a serious adverse event if products are given too closely together.

Edited by SirBillybob

1 minute ago, SirBillybob said:

The Canadian guidance is bidirectional. As I wrote, unknowns about amplifying cardiac risk that is itself subject to demographic variables, as well as sorting out what product would be considered to have prompted, say, a serious adverse event if products are given too closely together. 

I got my first mpox shot within a week of my 4th covid shot.  I was told it wasn't am issue.  I was told by a pharmacist it's really only an issue if the are live vaccines.  I had no reaction to the covid shot and just a sore arm from mpox.

15 minutes ago, TorontoDrew said:

I got my first mpox shot within a week of my 4th covid shot.  I was told it wasn't am issue.  I was told by a pharmacist it's really only an issue if the are live vaccines.  I had no reaction to the covid shot and just a sore arm from mpox.

NACI concedes that common sense can override interval arbitrariness. It was expedient to administer Imvamune to circuit-break transmission. 

Edited by SirBillybob

Question...does anyone know if it has been more than 28 days since your first dose of monkeypox vaccination, but you cannot schedule your second dose because they have restricted who can get it based on the date. Will they accept a walk in at a vaccine hub? Just wondering because I've spoken to someone on the hotline, and they do not know when it will open up to further dates.

I've been trying to be good but it's been over a month and it's crazy that despite trying to be responsible, and within the guidelines, I still cannot get the 2nd dose.

• Kevin Slater changed the title to NYC monkeypox vaccine alerts -- 2nd dose -- 4 week window!
On 9/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, BuzzLiteQueer said:

Does anyone know about any guidelines regarding how soon after receiving the second MP vaccine, can one receive the new COVID booster (which apparently will be released mid-September)?

It hasn't really been studied, so the answer to your question is no one knows for sure. The CDC currently is (understandably) non-committal in its recommendation, and does not have any firm guidelines in this respect:

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/vaccines/jynneos.html

Simultaneous Immunizations

• In most cases, you can get a JYNNEOS vaccine at the same time you get other vaccinations, except possibly COVID-19 vaccine.
  • COVID-19 vaccines may be delayed by 4 weeks if the JYNNEOS vaccine is given first.

When one doesn't know something, best to err or the side of caution, I suppose. 

Edited by Unicorn

That's a question you almost certainly should call to ask. https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/monkeypox.page

Under Eligibility:  "Vaccination is free and available regardless of immigration status or residency." But still, it would be good to check with someone.

When I went they did check my photo ID, but not sure if that included a check for residency, or simply to confirm the info I had input online.

4 minutes ago, guy7777 said:

I received my first dose last week.

One week later I still have what looks like a big pimple on where I got the shot. The first two to three days was definitely itchy

I looked like a hate crime victim for my first 2-3 days on my arm at the injection site after my second shot.  Nearly three weeks later, it looks like a pimple that is fading. 

Just to chime in on what I was told about timing of all these vaccines...I got my 2nd MP on Wednesday and was told by there RN overseeing the operation to wait a month before I get the new Covid (which I already knew).  I specifically asked her about the flu vax and the Shingrix vax (since I had my first one in July and have to have the second one of those within 6 months).  She said they had no guidance about flu and Shingrix in regards to MP vax so she believed there were no issues.  So, I guess when the month is up I'll get my Covid and the other two at the same time.