Spam/Scam Texts

n2guysnatl

I've noticed an increase in spam texts lately.  I know there is a risk when clicking any attachment or link in the text or email.  Some don't even contain a link or attachment and say something like "What time we meeting for dinner?".   Is there any risk in replying to the text?   I usually just delete them.

I've gotten two kinds lately.

• Obvious spam with some sexual message and a link I'm assuming is for some penis pill  (i.e. "break her walls - [obfuscated link])".  I just delete them and don't ever open the link.
  • Benign conversation opener - like "Hello?" or something like that from an unknown number.  If I respond they send a follow up message and sometimes a photo of an attractive female (usually Asian) saying they're following up on a business contact.  If you tell them it's a wrong number they "apologize" and suggest you can still be friends.   

I've had the second kind through whatsapp and SMS a few times.  I'm pretty sure they're fishing for someone to hit with a relationship scam of some sort.  I just block them, it's not worth the effort to try to figure out their angle.

I have had an increased amount of these kind of texts as well.  I was advised by the IT person at our company that even if there is no link, unless you are sure it is a real text (and need to say who is this) you should not reply.  By replying, they confirm it is an active phone number being used for texting and then can spoof your number to use in other text scams.  Not sure if that is all true, but I'm not taking any chances.  On a side note, the phone calls about my vehicle warranty expiring is out of control!  I rarely answer any calls that are not in my contacts.

2 minutes ago, MichaelV said:

I have had an increased amount of these kind of texts as well.  I was advised by the IT person at our company that even if there is no link, unless you are sure it is a real text (and need to say who is this) you should not reply.  By replying, they confirm it is an active phone number being used for texting and then can spoof your number to use in other text scams.  Not sure if that is all true, but I'm not taking any chances.  On a side note, the phone calls about my vehicle warranty expiring is out of control!  I rarely answer any calls that are not in my contacts.

I forward all of these text to 7726 (Federal Trade Commission SPAM line) then I block the number. I dont reply or click on any links - too risky. 

2 hours ago, n2guysnatl said:

I've noticed an increase in spam texts lately.  I know there is a risk when clicking any attachment or link in the text or email.  Some don't even contain a link or attachment and say something like "What time we meeting for dinner?".   Is there any risk in replying to the text?   I usually just delete them.

You mean like these?

70FBF655-BFB9-49F8-91BA-DE5FE9756B68.thumb.jpeg.120b63b6a044a985a6ef4a09db7cac66.jpeg

I don’t reply because I don’t want them to know they found a working number.  I also never click any link.  

Like others have said, if you’re not in my contacts list, I don’t answer or reply.  If it’s important enough they’ll leave a message.  Blocking numbers isn’t effective when they just spoof another one.  Reporting the number is pointless when it’s someone sitting at a computer in another country and the government doesn’t have any means of pursuing.  

Of course, many legit calls (a delivery person, a service person, the expected appliance repair guy, etc.) come thru as an unknown phone number because we haven't ID'd them or listed them in our own phone yet......for this reason, I reluctantly answer most calls.....if that telltale two- or three-second clicking silence occurs upon answering, I hang up immediately........also, funnily, I've been answering with "hey, howdy" at times lately and have quickly been hung up upon.....wondering if the robo call software only recognizes "hello" as reason to proceed......

golden-girls-phone-call.gif

On my landline, I let all calls from unknowns go to my answering machine; most of the time they don't leave anything. On my cell phones, I don't answer, but I check voicemail later, and there is usually nothing there. Only about 10% of spammers/scammers actually leave messages.

If I don't know who is calling I either don't answer or I'll pick up and let them talk first.  I did take a very important call that way last week.  But yeah, if it is important they'll leave a VM.

To the OP, yes the frequency of spam texts have gone up.

"This is Jessica. Got number from Peter"

Or this morning I received 

"Zendaya, after work we can go to take a cup of coffee together or not?"

The English seems as though poorly translated.

I agree with the above, never responding and usually blocking them.