Sao Paulo, almost unrecognizable compared to prior to pandemic.

38 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

correct - doubtful I will go back to Rio. Its natural beauty is unrivaled, yet I no longer have the tolerance for that type of urban danger. 

Not dissuading others from the Rio adventure, I think it helps to have realistic expectations and understand other less risky Brazil options. 

I would be content if I could only ever go again, hypothetically, to one of these 2 cities and it happened to be, arbitrarily, São Paulo. Otherwise, I hold no criteria for one over the other. This dovetails with the millions of inhabitants occupying both. My contacts in either metropolis would opine that any comparator analysis is largely subjective. That said, a negative experience obviously anchors perspective and a quantitative total of 1 such event largely dictates the qualitative. 

Edited by SirBillybob

• 4 months later...

I just spent 12 days in Rio and 4 in Sao Paolo. Not once did we feel a sense of danger, even while waiting in a lonely Metro station at night. Six visits to Rio now and no mugging.

I understand that your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't let these incidents in this thread stop me from enjoying Rio!

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

I just spent 12 days in Rio and 4 in Sao Paolo. Not once did we feel a sense of danger, even while waiting in a lonely Metro station at night. Six visits to Rio now and no mugging.

Six visits, you say? What an expert!

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

199 likes, 25 comments - zonasulurgente on September 22, 2023: "Absurdo! Roubo na Rua...

16 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Hey, soulless, I am not claiming to be an expert on anything except recognizing trolls. What I said here involves my experience. Six visits has as much credibility as one wants to give it. Note that I said "your mileage may vary."

If you want to discourage travel to Rio, be my guest.

Discouraging travel and informing people to be vigilant and aware of danger when traveling are two very different animals. 

This was the beach at Leme this weekend (Posto 1, right above Copacabana whose first beach starts around Posto 2). The beaches in Rio this weekend were particularly crowded and hot  — almost 40 degrees Celsius, even though it was officially the last weekend of winter.

Arrastãoes have been becoming increasingly more frequent in Rio. An "arrastão" in Rio de Janeiro refers to a type of criminal activity where a group of individuals, often gang members, thieves or robbers, work together to target and steal from unsuspecting victims, especially on crowded beaches. They typically move in large groups swiftly through the crowds, usually armed, grabbing belongings and creating chaos. Arrastões are a concern for both locals and tourists, so it's advisable to stay vigilant and take precautions when in crowded areas in Rio de Janeiro to avoid becoming a victim of such incidents.

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

11K likes, 1,102 comments - alertazonasul on September 24, 2023: "Arrastão na praia do...