Go Bag Items

Doe Be Doe

If there is an emergency, say a fire, a storm, or whatever, what should be in your go bag - things you have not including food, medicine and things like that?

Provision to make sure everyone in the house is awake and moving, pets included

Passport, Covid card

wallet with credit  cards and driving license

laptop or hard drive

Anything else?

It's always a good idea to keep all your important paperwork in a flame and waterproof safe or somewhere easily accessible to grab in an emergency. Besides the things you mentioned also your social security card, birth certificate, titles to your house and car.

18 hours ago, Doe Be Doe said:

If there is an emergency, say a fire, a storm, or whatever, what should be in your go bag - things you have not including food, medicine and things like that?

Provision to make sure everyone in the house is awake and moving, pets included

Passport, Covid card

wallet with credit  cards and driving license

laptop or hard drive

Anything else?

Phone and charger.

MediCare  and health insurance cards.

Edited by Charlie

On 5/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

It's always a good idea to keep all your important paperwork in a flame and waterproof safe or somewhere easily accessible to grab in an emergency. Besides the things you mentioned also your social security card, birth certificate, titles to your house and car.

I keep house titles, trust documents, etc., in a safe deposit box.

6 hours ago, Pensant said:

I keep house titles, trust documents, etc., in a safe deposit box.

3 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

Smart, but remember that's not a great place for a will (which needs to be accessible upon your death).

Kevin Slater

I keep copies of all those things in a safe deposit box, but I also keep copies of all of them in a file cabinet at home. I send copies of most things to my brother-in-law, who holds the secondary power of attorney, but not my will (I don't want family to know exactly what's in it); my lawyer also has a copy of the will.

With all these copies available elsewhere, I don't see any reason to carry all of these things around with me in an emergency bag, which could get lost during an emergency.

20 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

Smart, but remember that's not a great place for a will (which needs to be accessible upon your death).

Kevin Slater

I will remedy that this week! I had a very close brush with death in an auto accident almost 4 weeks ago, so I now have an even keener appreciation for keeping these things easily accessible to my family.

I used to have a safe deposit box at my bank until the branch moved and I was asked to come and empty out the contents. I brought all the stuff home and realized that it was just a waste of money. My house deeds are all online and I no longer bother with life insurance….and my attorney has wills etc. I bought a small fireproof safe and keep it at home where it’s easy for me to get to. If a thief breaks in they will be quite disappointed unless they want copies of my old draft card and expired passports

Cash:  Plenty of it.  In a natural disaster, businesses might not be able to take credit cards.  Plus you might meet a really hunky FEMA worker looking to moonlight.

Water bottle w/biofilter:  potable water can be scarce during/after a natural disaster.

Gun & ammo:  Crazy sh*t happens during a natural disaster.  Ya never know.