Have You Tried Meal Delivery Services

Lucky

• 3 months later...

The LA Times reports today on Daily Harvest, a company whose lentil meal sickened hundreds:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-12/daily-harvest-recall-lentil-crumbles-fda-regulation-meal-kit-delivery-food-safety

Excerpts: The Daily Harvest case is the first widespread instance of foodborne illness reported in the $15-billion meal kit industry, which surged in popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic. The outbreak has shined a light on something that few consumers know: Most meal delivery companies are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration...

...There is little consistency in how the firms are inspected and regulated at the state and local level, experts say. They warn that rapid changes in the meal delivery industry, combined with the slow pace of federal regulation and the inherent uncertainty of mailing perishable food, have made it effectively impossible for U.S. health officials to understand the scope of foodborne illnesses among meal delivery customers.

A friend of mine with culinary skills limited to boiling water for pasta, then using that pot after pasta is strained to heat up jarred sauce was given Blue Apron as a gift from his sister last Christmas. He loves it. Had me over for dinner, and it was a pretty tasty salmon dish. I got kick out of watching him be so very careful, with a furrowed brow reading, and re-reading the instructions as he cooked. It was cute.