Funny Girl

foxy

Saw this Friday.

Beanie can't sing the songs.

Ramin's talent is wasted.

Lynch is funny, but in whole other show.

Cheap set.  Dull costumes.  Circus-like tactics to get the audience excited.

This Fanny wasn't so much Funny as Fatigued.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

NYTimes theater critic just published a pretty scathing review of Funny Girl. It definitely touches on a lot of what you said Benjamin: The staging "feels lumbering and underfunded, with cheap-looking sets." Feldstein's singing is "overstretched" and "merely loud." And ultimately, "Without a stupendous Fanny to thrill and distract, the musical’s manifold faults become painfully evident."

No one else can be Barbra, but many great singing actors out there could play Fanny.

2022: the overall public perception Fanny = Barbra, Barbra = Fanny.

How can anyone scale that mountain in their first leading role in a big musical? In its first Broadway revival?

Even if you have seasoned chops, playing Fanny is running a marathon. Onstage almost always, and constant quick changes - all the scenes requiring new looks to tell the story. I’ll give her plenty of room to grow in it. No question - she’s earning her shekels. 

I didn’t get the Lynch choice in Mrs Brice casting. A particular demo appeal, I guess. 
Mary Testa would be perfection.

So unfair to expect Beanie to repeat the triumph of Barbra, especially with opening scheduled on BS's 80th birthday, so she's already competing for media time on the actual day. And sadly, the reviews, are right...for anyone who saw the original, or the movie, there is no comparison. Ms. Feldman AND her director, tried to create a "new" Fannie, but she's not able to do it. I did see Leslie Kritzer's version at Paper Mill twenty years ago and she did do it. I fully expected that production to come into town. But as pointed out, it's not just Feldman...the production is cheap looking and sadly, unnecessary. (And I am seldom this harsh.) 

I agree with others here who felt the mainstream review Streisand comparisons were unfair.  I'd never expect Beanie to fill those shoes, but do take issue with there being a multitude of 'non-name' theatre people who could have easily knocked this one out of the park.  It's clear they wanted celebrity on their side instead.

The business of Broadway is that they have to sell seats to tourists.  It is what it is.

Criticism aside, I hope the show runs a long time.  I never want to see anyone lose their job.

Julie Benko went on for Beanie Feldstein last evening. 

Several raves for Julie Benko on BroadwayWorld 
Posted by: KingSpeed 03:04 am EDT 04/30/22

Phrases like “a revelation,” “absolutely sensational,” “heart-pounding” and “Tony-worthy” are being thrown around. These things have never been said about Beanie. It’s almost like the producers set this up. I wonder if Beanie will take a TV series and bow out gracefully. We’ll see.

More drama backstage tonight than onstage.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the show today. I’m happy to report that Beanie was much better than expected. Is she Barbra? No. But no one is. Still she brought a sweetness to the role and she ended both acts with a pretty rousing version of Don’t Rain On My Parade. She’s got a good voice and perhaps is growing into the role. It’s not a great show but that’s more a problem of the book. I’d recommend it if you just keep your expectations at medium. 

C59D9878-141D-4A65-9ADA-79F844614249.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I saw it Saturday.   Was debating between seeing it or Beetlejuice (I love Kerry Butler).   Wish I would have gone to Beetlejuice instead.   Very disappointing.

Beanie was a very poor fit for the part of Frannie.   I liked her in Hello Dolly, but she was awful in this.   She didn't have the voice for the part.  Ramin Karimloo and Jane Lynch were great.   There were a lot of empty seats.   I don't see this show lasting much longer unless they get a get a lot better replacement for Beanie after she leaves.   

11 hours ago, handiacefailure said:

I saw it Saturday.   Was debating between seeing it or Beetlejuice (I love Kerry Butler).   Wish I would have gone to Beetlejuice instead.   Very disappointing.

Beanie was a very poor fit for the part of Frannie.   I liked her in Hello Dolly, but she was awful in this.   She didn't have the voice for the part.  Ramin Karimloo and Jane Lynch were great.   There were a lot of empty seats.   I don't see this show lasting much longer unless they get a get a lot better replacement for Beanie after she leaves.   

They're currently negotiating for a HUGE name to take over the show in Sept.

If this works out, they won't have any issue selling tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:06 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

And then there's the persistent rumor of Lea Michele joining the cast in Sept.

That would sell the fuck outta tickets.

No longer a rumour Lea  Michelle joins the  cast in September.  Meanwhile Beanie is now leaving the show at the end of July -  a month early

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

No longer a rumour Lea  Michelle joins the  cast in September.  Meanwhile Beanie is now leaving the show at the end of July -  a month early

Beanie was never the right fit.  She let a lot of people (who knew better) tell her she was right when she wasn't.

While not a huge fan of Lea, she's going to kick the living shit out of this role.  Huge ticket sales.

13 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

I'm doing a theatre visit to NYC this weekend.  I'm not seeing Funny Girl thanks to this forum...thanks for the advice.  I'm seeing Company and Moulin Rouge for sure.  Trying to decide between Mr. Saturday Night and Into The Woods for the other show.  Thoughts?

Company and Moulin Rouge are both great shows.   One show I'd really recommend is Hadestown.