INVENTING ANNA on Netflix

jeezifonly
This topic is 797 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

INVENTING ANNA

The latest from ShondaLand.

Loved Julia Garner so much on OZARK and am curious about where she’s going with this character. First episode in, and I have no clue… the character is an Instagram star of many faces, and that probably explains why I don’t like her. (Not the faces, the InstaFame…)

As with SCANDAL and HTGAWM, I know I have to have patience at the beginning for any Shonda Rhimes show to “settle in”, and I must pay attention, but not too much because sometimes plot holes. (esp who is allied with whom at any given point) This is the first production from Shonda for streaming, and the others were deliberately paced for a tight 50m w/network commercials - when binged, there are jarring shifts of tone or mood within a scene. Hoping for the best. 
Love seeing Shonda repertory cast members Jeff Perry, Kate Burton and Anna Deveare Smith all playing significant parts 

Curious to hear your takes!

11 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

I'm also interested in this because of Julia Garner.  She's stellar in Ozark.  (and according to IMDB, good friends with Juno Temple from Ted Lasso! 🙂

Please let me know when you figure out her dialect - is it all over the map because the character is an enigma, or is it just a girl from the Bronx after being released from 4 years hillbilly-speak?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, jeezifonly said:

Please let me know when you figure out her dialect - is it all over the map because the character is an enigma, or is it just a girl from the Bronx after being released from 4 years hillbilly-speak?

I saw her interviewed and the question of the accent came up. Sounds like it was fairly challenging for her, imposing a German accent on a native Russian accent. I think she pulled it off…and beside ps that did an excellent job in the show.

Rachel? OMG I despised her weak character immediately. 

All in all I enjoyed the show. I alternately liked/disliked “Anna”, much like many real characters from the saga did. Maybe because of my experiences from this very forum, I was skeptical of how easily many bought into Anna’s con. 

I watched the first episode and thought it was OK. Haven't gotten around to watching the rest of the show yet.

It's interesting that a fictitious name (Vivian Kent) is used for the character based on the author (Jessica Pressler) of the New York Magazine piece while it uses the actual name (Rachel Williams) of the Vanity Fair author who wrote of being swindled out of $62K by Delvy/Sorokin. Even more interesting is how they paint Williams as somewhat of a villain. The real Williams is apparently not too pleased with the portrayal.

On SNL last night Chloe Fineman pulled off a very funny skit doing Anna and parodying the accent.

If Garner had not been cast (though I liked her in it) I kept thinking of the resemblance between Sorokina and Elle Fanning. The casting certainly required a pale slight-build actor. 

Edited by SirBIllybob