Leontyne Price turns 95!

jeezifonly

Today one of the few (only?) remaining singers of The Golden Age, and she was among the first to record her n Stereophonic Sound! The first recording of Carmen (RCA) I bought, and still my fave a perhaps the first multi-disc LP set I bought with my own earned money.  

The instrument, the technique, her signature bite at the end of a phrase. And the SPIN. Where a single note, on pitch, that hovers all around with an even tone and emotional quality that seems the defy human capability in duration and skill.

A prime example if you missed out:

95 years! certainly not common, and especially not for women of color. A gift to the world whose art has made my life better for more than 45 years.

And she’s the ONLY thing Mississippi ever got right. 

Edited by jeezifonly

• 5 months later...

One of the first LPs I ever bought was her first solo album in 1961. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see many of her live performances, but I remember a concert performance at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia in the 1960s, when the audience was so enthusiastic that they were gasping loudly and clapping even before she stopped singing "Doretta's song" from La Rondine.

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

One of the first LPs I ever bought was her first solo album in 1961. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see many of her live performances, but I remember a concert performance at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia in the 1960s, when the audience was so enthusiastic that they were gasping loudly and clapping even before she stopped singing "Doretta's song" from La Rondine.

Did you gasp and sob, or just gasp and clap? 😄

• 10 months later...

I highly recommend the documentary “The Opera House” which tells the story of the building of Lincoln Center, with particular focus on the Met. It features an interview with Lyontyne Price and wow, she’s amazing. This documentary is currently available on Apple TV for rental. Worth seeking out.