Birthdays

purplekow
This topic is 785 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I assume you are referring to the birthday widget on the homepage. 

My plan was to rework the module to only include users that have been active in the last X years and more than 1 content item.  (My initial gut feeling was to use 2 years as the timeframe. But I’m not set on it yet.)

To be honest though… this has been nowhere near the top of my “todo” list. I’ve been busy with other tooling stuff, finishing the site move, and working on the review site. 

5 hours ago, RadioRob said:

My plan was to rework the module to only include users that have been active in the last X years and more than 1 content item.  (My initial gut feeling was to use 2 years as the timeframe. But I’m not set on it yet.)

To be honest though… this has been nowhere near the top of my “todo” list. I’ve been busy with other tooling stuff, finishing the site move, and working on the review site. 

I support your priorities 🙂 If I don't know someone well enough to know their birthday off the top of my head, it seems superfluous for me to wish them a happy birthday just because facebook, or this site, told me about it.

On 2/1/2022 at 3:31 AM, RadioRob said:

I totally respect your efforts and priorities.  I know little about programming and this seemed like a small issue with a quick fix.  If is not a quick fix, it is certainly not a priority.  

That being said, I do know many people in my life who have no idea of my birthday nor I theirs.  That does not preclude my offering or accepting felicitations when the information is available.  

2 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Would it be better for me to remove the widget entirely for now?

My opinion? Yes. When there is an active member listed, the board yawns anyway. Other than for the honorable super-moderator @MikeBiDudelittle mention is made. I know that @JoeMendozatried for awhile, but there was little response.

Perhaps an individual  poster could make a mention of his or her birthday if it was important to her/him.

My birthday listing is not accurate and I have no interest in a birthday greeting, absent lavish gifts!

Edited by Lucky
include female posters

• 3 weeks later...

The birthday reporting system has been reworked.... this includes for both the widget on the homepage and the calendar itself.

https://www.companyofmen.org/calendar/month

In order for the site to promote the birthday in either location, the following conditions must exist:

• The user has a birthday saved in their profile.
  • The user must have at least 10 content items.  (Forum posts, gallery images, reviews, etc.)
  • The user must have been active in the last two years.  (Not necessarily posted, but logged into the site.)

Now...  if this does not make ya'll happy, I don't know what will!  🤣