Phighting back in Philly

samhexum
This topic is 844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I agreed that story was accurate. My point was some members use The New York k Post as an authority way too often

Even when the New York Post was quite liberal (circa 1968), I would be quite careful in quoting the paper.

I preferred James Reston.

I liked James Reston, too.  BUT he is dead.😥

The main point, the story in OP is about the high level of murder in Philadelphia and the example of a recent shoot out by a pizza delivery man.   The story paints an accurate picture of gun violence today in Philadelphia.

There is a breakdown of civility and people are dying in Philadelphia.  Murders are reaching historic levels.

27 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

The main point, the story in OP is about the high level of murder in Philadelphia and the example of a recent shoot out by a pizza delivery man.   The story paints an accurate picture of gun violence today in Philadelphia.

There is a breakdown of civility and people are dying in Philadelphia.  Murders are reaching historic levels.

You once mentioned the historic level  of of deaths from the flu in 1957 and 1968 and  downplayed covid19. Now is change to get it correct 😉

4 hours ago, bigjoey said:

He fired six shots, not shot six car jackets.  From the description, it sounds like the car jacket was shooting as well.  In that case, some of the six shots were returned fire.  

purplekow was joking about the six shots.....🙄

19 hours ago, samhexum said:

A pizza deliveryman shot a would-be carjacker six times in Philadelphia’s Kensington neighborhood on Thursday night, cops said.

The 39-year-old pizza guy was delivering food on H Street just before 7:40 p.m. when an armed man approached him and tried to steal his car, WPVI-TV reported.

The pizza man, who had a concealed carry permit, drew his gun and blasted the 23-year-old attacker, cops told the station. The failed thief returned fire but didn’t hit the victim, WPVI said.

The would-be carjacker was driven to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, according to the station.

There have already been 90 carjackings in Philadelphia this year as officials in the City of Brotherly Love ramp up patrols to fight a surge in vehicle crime, WPVI stated.

Last year, there were 757 carjackings — up from 404 in 2020, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Thursday’s shooting was the second time this month a potential carjacking victim flipped the script and opened fire on the person trying to steal their car.

On Jan. 14, a 60-year-old man shot a 16-year-old in both legs after the teenager tried to take his car in the West Mount Airy neighborhood, according to the Inquirer. More than a dozen shots were exchanged when the botched theft turned violent, but the victim wasn’t injured.

The man, who was licensed to carry the weapon, didn’t face any charges for shooting the teen, the newspaper reported.

I  guess Philadelphians are a pheisty bunch.  @WilliamM probably carries a howitzer when he goes out.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/28/philadelphia-delivery-man-shoots-would-be-carjacker-in-kensington/

I can use a gun and a rifle from being in the Army in Vietnam, but not a howitzer. Pay attention.

38 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

That is an example of how right wing The New York Post is now. The Post supported Trump and now has very negative articles about Biden

The articles about Hunter’s lap top seem to be accurate.  How is that “right wing”?   By the same token, The New York Times not covering the story (especially just before the election) shows how “left wing” they are.

The lap top story is a legitimate story that should be reported.  It is not a left or right wing story but a story about a factual occurrence.

29 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

You once mentioned the historic level  of of deaths from the flu in 1957 and 1968 and  downplayed covid19. Now is change to get it correct 😉

At the time, the subject based on a NY Times story was “How Do Pandemics End?”   It cited the 1918, 1957 and 1968 pandemics.   I did not downplay the Covid pandemic which was just starting.  As I recall, you were denying there were pandemics in 1957 and 1968 despite what The New York Times said.

I think that question is a valid question.  I think a challenge to the Biden Administration is changing the country’s thinking from a pandemic to an endemic problem.

Two years ago, I did not see the death toll we are experiencing.  I did not see the vast stupidity of people not getting vaccinated.

12 hours ago, BSR said:

But the NY Post was right about the Hunter Biden laptop story when the NY Times and other "respectable" news orgs were frantically trying to bury the story.

Blind squirrels find the occasional acorn.  Many daily NY Post readers in NY, across the country from where you are, read the Post for Page 6 gossip, headlines, horoscopes, the Jumble, sports and some read it to confirm what they heard on Fox News.  

37 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

At the time, the subject based on a NY Times story was “How Do Pandemics End?”   It cited the 1918, 1957 and 1968 pandemics.   I did not downplay the Covid pandemic which was just starting.  As I recall, you were denying there were pandemics in 1957 and 1968 despite what The New York Times said.

I think that question is a valid question.  I think a challenge to the Biden Administration is changing the country’s thinking from a pandemic to an endemic problem.

Two years ago, I did not see the death toll we are experiencing.  I did not see the vast stupidity of people not getting vaccinated.

To be blunt, many people did see the the death toll. And before many people decided not to get vaccinated

Please stay on target y'all this is serious...

All this carjacking and shooting in Philadelphia is terrible. But why is no one here talking about the most consequential aspect of these incidents here? Cars! Without cars these people would not be shot. I feel like they've got to find a way to have less cars in the city - no cars, no car jackings, no shootings. Problem solved.

7 minutes ago, IronMaus said:

Please stay on target y'all this is serious...

All this carjacking and shooting in Philadelphia is terrible. But why is no one here talking about the most consequential aspect of these incidents here? Cars! Without cars these people would not be shot. I feel like they've got to find a way to have less cars in the city - no cars, no car jackings, no shootings. Problem solved.

Not just cars but roads.   Roads are the root cause for there to be cars🥵. No roads, no cars, no car jackings, no shootings.  Problem solved.

Actually, the real root cause might be people.  Now that I think of it, it comes down to people:  no people, no roads…

😀😀

1 hour ago, purplekow said:

Many daily NY Post readers in NY, across the country from where you are, read the Post for Page 6 gossip, headlines, horoscopes, the Jumble, sports and some read it to confirm what they heard on Fox News.  

That's basically me except for the horoscopes, jumble, & watching Fox news.  And because (except for some of the sports content) it's free online, whereas the Daily News only allows a few free articles per month. 

I know all political articles in the post are slanted republican whereas in the Daily News they slant democratic.  I pick and choose what to read in both and take everything with the appropriate right/left grain of salt.

1 hour ago, IronMaus said:

Heathen!

14 minutes ago, samhexum said:

That's basically me except for the horoscopes, jumble, & watching Fox news.  And because (except for some of the sports content) it's free online, whereas the Daily News only allows a few free articles per month. 

I know all political articles in the post are slanted republican whereas in the Daily News they slant democratic.  I pick and choose what to read in both and take everything with the appropriate right/left grain of salt.

Surely, you can find a better source to quote in New York City.

2 hours ago, purplekow said:

Blind squirrels find the occasional acorn.  Many daily NY Post readers in NY, across the country from where you are, read the Post for Page 6 gossip, headlines, horoscopes, the Jumble, sports and some read it to confirm what they heard on Fox News.  

Your "blind squirrel" metaphor falls apart when you consider the NY Times' decision to bury the story.  The editors of the revered Gray Lady didn't just happen to overlook the story.  They made a deliberate decision to bury it because it would hurt Biden in the upcoming election.  Just as they made a deliberate decision to push the lie that Brian Sicknick was viciously murdered.

Yet the ever so enlightened chattering class sneers at the NY Post while prostrating themselves before their Oracle of Truth, the NYT.  It's not a matter of truth vs. falsehood or journalism vs. sensationalism.  Liberals denigrate one paper while worshipping the other because one tells them what they want to hear while the other refuses to toe that line.

2 minutes ago, BSR said:

Your "blind squirrel" metaphor falls apart when you consider the NY Times' decision to bury the story.  The editors of the revered Gray Lady didn't just happen to overlook the story.  They made a deliberate decision to bury it because it would hurt Biden in the upcoming election.  Just as they made a deliberate decision to push the lie that Brian Sicknick was viciously murdered.

Yet the ever so enlightened chattering class sneers at the NY Post while prostrating themselves before their Oracle of Truth, the NYT.  It's not a matter of truth vs. falsehood or journalism vs. sensationalism.  Liberals denigrate one paper while worshipping the other because one tells them what they want to hear while the other refuses to toe that line.

The New York Post  is the  bastard child of  The National Inquirer.

This topic is 844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.