Remembering “The Web” in NYC - Any replacement venue?

TravelingLibra
This topic is 768 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

1 hour ago, The Big Guy said:

Lots of great memories at the Web. Great location and mostly twinks which I liked.  The back room was exciting.  I don’t get to NYC much anymore but would love to hear about a replacement. 

I never heard of this place, but I doubt there is a replacement. 

Ah, yes, THE WEB!  Gone, but not forgotten, even after ten years.  I hope that someone will open a similar venue once Covid passes.  Here's a review I wrote in March 2011:

The Web advertises as an Asian boy bar. However, as previous threads have indicated, its dancers are usually multi-ethnic and multi-racial with a good mix of smooth and buff body types. It is a treasure trove for twink lovers, a deliciously sleazy version of the long gone and much regretted Rounds, with a more intimate scene around the bar than LeBoyz or Club 20. On three visits within the past month, I've met a slim, sexy, cultured all-American boy, a hot Brazilian boy with a swimmer's build, and a very cute Russian boy. For $20 a pop, lap dances have told me all that I need to know about them, including their equipment, proclivities, degree of enthusiasm, and availability.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:36 PM, traxton said:

Seems like drag bars have taken over unfortunately

indeed altho now Boots & Saddles seems to be gone too.  I do not find drag entertaining at all but it also is probably helping a lot of places pay their bills since it draws more straight tourists than I guess strippers would.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember going there when I was young. Not one Asian guy gave me a second glance...( At a time when I was accustomed to nearly everyone looking... ) Only the older daddies were getting the attention. Quite a culture shock for me. I had no idea how all that worked. Was so much the opposite of what I understood at that time.

I feel nostalgic when i remember The Web or The Gaiety - two unique establishments which made me very happy. In terms of replacement venues we have Spunk and Adonis nights which are great but the casual vibe of Web will be missed.

I heard recently that there are go-go dancers at the Q lounge and recently opened Hush bar in midtown (formerly Therapy)- anyone been there ? 

3 hours ago, diehard_002 said:

I feel nostalgic when i remember The Web or The Gaiety - two unique establishments which made me very happy. In terms of replacement venues we have Spunk and Adonis nights which are great but the casual vibe of Web will be missed.

I heard recently that there are go-go dancers at the Q lounge and recently opened Hush bar in midtown (formerly Therapy)- anyone been there ? 

I think you're spot on with mentioning The Q Club.  Having been at The Web back in the day, I'm not sure anything is going to replace that place or time. However, take a look at @qclubnyc or @jd.evanium on the insta. 🙂

18 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

I was in my early 50’s when I started going there.  As you described, as an older guy, I got a great deal of attention.   I do not recall many younger customers in the place.  I miss this place!

I had little experience with gay culture at that point. Being a young blond ex-wrestler I was accustomed to having my pick of the litter. I was completely invisible there. Way to young to have the fat wallet these cute Asian boys were after. 😉

13 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I had little experience with gay culture at that point. Being a young blond ex-wrestler I was accustomed to having my pick of the litter. I was completely invisible there. Way to young to have the fat wallet these cute Asian boys were after. 😉

That is just pure bullshit. No doubt the guys there picked up on your superior attitude, and decided they didn't want to deal with it. It's been suggested, or outright said, in another forum that Asians are just golddiggers. but I think that is the result of a few bruised egos among white guys who didn't get their pick of Asian dick.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, pubic_assistance said:

Hmmm… I think it’s completely different now. I think Asian guys were still working through their insecurities back then and probably didn’t think you would be interested… 😍

4 hours ago, JQ915 said:

Hmmm… I think it’s completely different now. I think Asian guys were still working through their insecurities back then and probably didn’t think you would be interested… 😍

I was passed over for men 3x my age, bald and out of shape. I'm pretty sure the attractive Asian guys were shopping for sugar daddies, not because they were insecure. I am not shy ...I make it clear when I am interested.

Edited by pubic_assistance

On 1/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, pubic_assistance said:

It's possible that you were mistaken for a "working boy."