80’s Dance Clubs (SoCal edition)

jeezifonly
This topic is 871 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Nostalgia is a disease from which I choose not to suffer. One cannot help but look back, from time to time, though, and notice the radical changes in the gay social scene - mostly through a jaded eye. But, I loved to dance when I was first out at 23, going to bars in the early-to-mid 1980’s. I was never a star with moves, but always loved the dance floor as a get-acquainted thing. Plus, I had enviably toss-able hair.image.gif.223e78eccb3540821d9f629dfdca3088.gif

I was living south of Weho (aka BoysTown at the time) and the bars in Long Beach were the closest - Forced Heat (aka Man’s Country) and Ripples were the two with DJ’s and floor. I had more dates from the former, but more fun at the latter.  And work friends feom OC introduced me to Newport Station (your Disco Destination) in Costa Mesa, where Thurs nights had a record raffle with the cover, (Freda Payne my one prize) and it had a large and attractive crowd. Mostly S&M. (Sneakers and Makeup) PnP everywhere (pastels ‘n’ Polo). LOL. I thought about this recently, while attending the celebration service for a favorite aunt who passed. She hosted Thanksgiving every year in El Toro, always including her CA nieces & nephs. I always had a great time, but avoided over eating knowing I would be out on the dance floor later…

If you already had a place to crash overnight, In Laguna Beach there was “The Boom” (BoomBoom Room) with lots of beach blondes with hella tan lines. Went rarely - such a long drive on 2-lane roads. Hideous beach-community parking. A schlepp sober, a dangerous slog if not… They were best known for weekend tea-dances, opening right onto the beach. 

I went once to The Odyssey in Weho, catering to a younger 18+crowd, with a friend who liked fresh flesh. The dance floor energy was insane- a little too much for me, especially given I was really only drawn to guys my age and up. I liked my V&T’s and they didn’t have the license to sell it, in favor of staying open til 4am.

Studio One - is there anyone who didn’t go there a few times a month (week?) With friends, I loved to see a cabaret show at the adjacent Backlot, then to the dance floor - which was always filled with intimidating beauty of every age and type. Cover was high unless you went in before 9 - who the hell goes to a disco before 9??? This guy, when cash was tight. 

Rage was probably the last one I went to. Can’t say I ever really had fun there, but sure met some gifted sexualists. 
Less frequently visited by me were the main disco’s in San Diego, West Coast Production Company, and Palm Springs, CCCC Cathedral City Construction Company both located in industrial areas that were a little scary, but fun once inside! Both were huge warehouse spaces that had room for great lighting and fx on the floor. 

How about you? Were you around Southern California for the shenanigans? Did you have a favorite place? Maybe visit one or two while playing tourist? The cloud of AIDS descended soon enough over the revelry, and I am grateful to have had some sweaty dance floor fun when I did! 

A great stroll down memory lane. I was one of those tourists in the late 70s early 80s to SCal. Of the places you mentioned, I have great memories of the BoomBoom Room in Laguna Beach. The kids dancing there (mostly 15 years younger than me) were as you described, blond and tan lines surfer types who were crazy dancers, often imitating sexual positions on the dance floor.

In San Francisco, where I also danced in that period, there were two discos in South of Market, one named "something" Land, I think, a large airy warehouse space with brick walls and white curtains and the other a more industrial look with dark gray walls and red pipes. Can't remember either names but the music was great.

Great to recall those old SoCal places. Went to the Boom a lot, usually after dinner at Mark’s or Shame on the Moon. Sundays at West Street beach. When I first got out of college, I lived in Belmont Shore, so I could walk to Ripples. Also, Garden Grove once had about 5 bars, believe it or not. DOC West and Rumor Hazzit were fun, although the GG police, we called it Garbage Grove, were often hassling patrons at both. I remember a cute twink in black leather being arrested at Rumor Hazzit. I have no idea what for. There also used to be hustlers on Garden Grove Boulevard, near the adult book store near the old Campus gay bar. All gone now.

Thanks for bringing back good memories @jeezifonly.

I too loved dancing at that age. I went often to WCPC - West Coast Production Company, tho I had forgotten its full name until I saw your post. I lived in a house on Point Loma then. WCPC seemed to attract lots of transients and newbies in San Diego.

I also went several times to a gay bar by the gates of a Marine base. I cannot recall the name. Was it something like Last Call or Roundup? The bar had music but I can’t remember if it had dancing. The bar had a very nice crowd and one evening I met a young Marine there. He was fun, a sweet guy but not too experienced. Even though I took him to brunch the next day, he didn’t want our date to end after a replay that afternoon.

Edited by MscleLovr
Typo

8 hours ago, Lucky said:

Lots of experience with Studio One. The hottest guys who showed no interest in hooking up until the minutes before closing time. Then a flurry of activity. For many guys, their task was simply to look beautiful without acknowledging anyone.

Some are not sated with being object of desire for one, and  they need a crowd to be slightly above. When paired with talent and an agent =
When paired with one too many schnapps = 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

23 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Nostalgia is a disease from which I choose not to suffer. One cannot help but look back, from time to time, though, and notice the radical changes in the gay social scene - mostly through a jaded eye. But, I loved to dance when I was first out at 23, going to bars in the early-to-mid 1980’s. I was never a star with moves, but always loved the dance floor as a get-acquainted thing. Plus, I had enviably toss-able hair.image.gif.223e78eccb3540821d9f629dfdca3088.gif

I was living south of Weho (aka BoysTown at the time) and the bars in Long Beach were the closest - Forced Heat (aka Man’s Country) and Ripples were the two with DJ’s and floor. I had more dates from the former, but more fun at the latter.  And work friends feom OC introduced me to Newport Station (your Disco Destination) in Costa Mesa, where Thurs nights had a record raffle with the cover, (Freda Payne my one prize) and it had a large and attractive crowd. Mostly S&M. (Sneakers and Makeup) PnP everywhere (pastels ‘n’ Polo). LOL. I thought about this recently, while attending the celebration service for a favorite aunt who passed. She hosted Thanksgiving every year in El Toro, always including her CA nieces & nephs. I always had a great time, but avoided over eating knowing I would be out on the dance floor later…

If you already had a place to crash overnight, In Laguna Beach there was “The Boom” (BoomBoom Room) with lots of beach blondes with hella tan lines. Went rarely - such a long drive on 2-lane roads. Hideous beach-community parking. A schlepp sober, a dangerous slog if not… They were best known for weekend tea-dances, opening right onto the beach. 

I went once to The Odyssey in Weho, catering to a younger 18+crowd, with a friend who liked fresh flesh. The dance floor energy was insane- a little too much for me, especially given I was really only drawn to guys my age and up. I liked my V&T’s and they didn’t have the license to sell it, in favor of staying open til 4am.

Studio One - is there anyone who didn’t go there a few times a month (week?) With friends, I loved to see a cabaret show at the adjacent Backlot, then to the dance floor - which was always filled with intimidating beauty of every age and type. Cover was high unless you went in before 9 - who the hell goes to a disco before 9??? This guy, when cash was tight. 

Rage was probably the last one I went to. Can’t say I ever really had fun there, but sure met some gifted sexualists. 
Less frequently visited by me were the main disco’s in San Diego, West Coast Production Company, and Palm Springs, CCCC Cathedral City Construction Company both located in industrial areas that were a little scary, but fun once inside! Both were huge warehouse spaces that had room for great lighting and fx on the floor. 

How about you? Were you around Southern California for the shenanigans? Did you have a favorite place? Maybe visit one or two while playing tourist? The cloud of AIDS descended soon enough over the revelry, and I am grateful to have had some sweaty dance floor fun when I did! 

Wow!  Thanks for all the nostalgia!  I hadn’t heard of—or been in—any of those except Ripples & Rage.

I arrived in SoCal 20 years ago.

There was a popular bar in Long Beach, at least it was with me.  A lot of hot guys of all stripes.  There was a smallish  dance floor.  The owner was well known.  A realtor?  Memory fades.  Can't recall the name of the place.  It was near a Ralph's.  It closed, probably before 2010.

My gang would try the Boom now and then, but the drive was daunting.

We had a couple of LA destinations.  The El Rey had Friday events starting late.  Fun!

There was a place called Stone Bar in Thai Town that was gay on Fridays.  Cute bartenders. Friendly, hot dancers.  😄

Ripples was fun.

Tried the Abby once or twice.   We ate dinner there.  Years ago!  Otherwise didn't go to WEHO except for non-bar events.

Costa Mesa was a fun clubbing destination with my straight friends in the early 2000s.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, Luv2play said:

A great stroll down memory lane. I was one of those tourists in the late 70s early 80s to SCal. Of the places you mentioned, I have great memories of the BoomBoom Room in Laguna Beach. The kids dancing there (mostly 15 years younger than me) were as you described, blond and tan lines surfer types who were crazy dancers, often imitating sexual positions on the dance floor.

In San Francisco, where I also danced in that period, there were two discos in South of Market, one named "something" Land, I think, a large airy warehouse space with brick walls and white curtains and the other a more industrial look with dark gray walls and red pipes. Can't remember either names but the music was great.

Ah the 80's dance scene in San francisco.  I think you are reffering to Dreamland and "Pleasure Dome"! Both were a lot of fun. There was also the I-Beam in the Haight/Ashbury and The Box on Divisadero. Not sure if the Trockadero Transfer, probably the most notorious dance club was still open - I showed up in the late 80s.