Steak Cut Question.....

azdr0710
This topic is 916 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 10/24/2021 at 1:19 PM, azdr0710 said:

mention of BOA Steakhouse   by @Epigonos in the "what to do near LAX" thread reminded me that I'm certainly no expert on steak cuts and the pros/cons of each......I know that "bone-in" apparently means more flavor, but have never been drawn to that cut because I'd rather eat meat and not have some bone in the way.....and I know marbled can mean flavor, but I think? it's not as healthy and seems somewhat "synthetic"?.....and I think KC = NY depending on what part of the country you're in??!!.....of course, I don't like gristle and fat on the edge of some steaks I've ordered......seems like when I take the server's suggestion re: my dream steak, I still have to trim off gristle, fat, etc. and, when done, there seems to be lots of junk still on the plate! 

what cut should I order if I want pure edible steak (and nothing else) that practically cuts with a fork and tastes like steak....and which, when done, leaves no "detritus" on the plate!.....(no gristle, fat, junk, bone)........I realize there are trade-offs regarding flavor, tenderness, bones, temperature, etc. and some detritus may be necessary....I typically order steaks medium-well.......

thanks

filet mignon

flatiron steak

prime top sirloin

flank steak

You can't go wrong with any of these.  Flatiron steak in particular is very lean, but it has a full beefy flavor that's amazing.

7 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

filet mignon

flatiron steak

prime top sirloin

flank steak

You can't go wrong with any of these.  Flatiron steak in particular is very lean, but it has a full beefy flavor that's amazing.

Of course fattier cuts like ribeye and top loin are outstanding.  But if you prefer lean cuts, the ones I listed are great.

4 hours ago, gallahadesquire said:

Wagyu. 

Meats like Kobe Wagyu and Akaushi are delicious, but are only really meant to be served in small portions.  If cooked correctly, it's like eating small sticks of pure butter.  Insanely rich.  I find it works well as an appetizer.  

Same goes for quality-grade toro.  It's great in small amounts, but is overwhelming as a full-plate meal.

5 hours ago, gallahadesquire said:

Wagyu. 

Thankfully, I hate Wagyu beef.

It’s insanely intensive. To me it has a mealy texture and it tastes like fat soaked in butter.
I’m happy to leave it to the Wagyu Connoisseurs. Unfortunately, I have plenty of other
ridiculous obsessions (white truffles and champagnes). Taste is funny, but it’s what
makes the world an interesting place. 

So I’ll raise a glass of Sir Winston Churchill to your fatty Japanese beef, but I’ll pass.

Thank you. 

15 hours ago, nycman said:

Thankfully, I hate Wagyu beef.

It’s insanely intensive. To me it has a mealy texture and it tastes like fat soaked in butter.
I’m happy to leave it to the Wagyu Connoisseurs. Unfortunately, I have plenty of other
ridiculous obsessions (white truffles and champagnes). Taste is funny, but it’s what
makes the world an interesting place. 

So I’ll raise a glass of Sir Winston Churchill to your fatty Japanese beef, but I’ll pass.

Thank you. 

A restaurant opened in my neighborhood and they served just one thing - Shabu-shabu, made with either wagyu beef, chicken or vegetarian.  The beef Shabu-shabu was insanely good - I could have lived on it.  They didn't make it tho - they folded very quickly.  I guess the menu was a little too narrow

10 hours ago, Rudynate said:

A restaurant opened in my neighborhood and they served just one thing - Shabu-shabu, made with either wagyu beef, chicken or vegetarian.  The beef Shabu-shabu was insanely good - I could have lived on it.  They didn't make it tho - they folded very quickly.  I guess the menu was a little too narrow

I remember the time in conversation I confused Shabu-Shabu for Punjab in Annie.

Haven't lived it down since.

punjab1.jpeg

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas