Senior Living Facility...Why Not?

MysticMenace
This topic is 912 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

senior living facility  

40 members have voted

1. 1. would you consider living in a senior living facility?

• never...over my dead and sexy body!
    • leaning no, but could be open to it later
    • not sure...I'm 50/50
    • too young to think about it

On 9/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, Luv2play said:

Now I've learned something. The only jurisdiction in Canada that doesn't recognize common law unions is Quebec, which operates under a Civil Code(derived from the Code Napoleonic). I understand Louisiana also has the Code Napoleonic. A part of our French heritage on both sides of the border.

I forgot that Louisiana follows the Roman Law.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

A provider friend of mine, originally from Mexico, says that if he is ever forced to return to Mexico he will open a retirement home for gay men from the U.S., and it will include a staff of young men who will offer their "services" once a month as part of the rent.

He says I'm going to be his first customer.

Great post. For the record many other "services" should be outsourced to cheaper places, it's a symbiotic relationship between both countries. 

Edited by marylander1940

5 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

back to answering the original question... I'd rather hiring a houseboy/kept man to take care of me. 

I hope I'm not being shallow but if I ever NEED to go to a retirement place I'd rather shoot myself. 

Not directly on subject:

Britney Spears aside, it's generally very difficult to get someone conserved (at least in California). My mother couldn't pay her bills and was a danger to herself (i.e. leaving the gas on in the house), but thank God she consented to turn her finances over to her ethical accountant, and, after a lot of work, consented to live in an assisted living facility. 

On 9/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

A provider friend of mine, originally from Mexico, says that if he is ever forced to return to Mexico he will open a retirement home for gay men from the U.S., and it will include a staff of young men who will offer their "services" once a month as part of the rent.

He says I'm going to be his first customer.

Assisted living in Mexico is much more affordable than in the US, and can be very pleasant. A huge caveat, along with the caveat of living on a cruise ship  for the rest of your life (which is more expensive, of course), is that Medicare offers no coverage outside the US, so one would presumably have to get some sort of Mexican insurance policy, which could be pricy if one is old and in bad health, or be prepared to pay cash (usually not too bad in Mexico). Of course, contracting out certain services is probably quite illegal. And once a month wouldn't do it for many. Some of the most popular areas for Americans to spend their final days with assisted living include Ajijic and San Miguel de Allende, which are very pleasant places known for their equable climate. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckbolotin/2019/01/17/what-so-many-americans-find-so-appealing-about-retiring-to-ajijic-lake-chapala-mexico/?sh=5b7d0ab1012a

https://www.accesslakechapala.com/guide/living-costs/

27 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Britney Spears aside, it's generally very difficult to get someone conserved (at least in California). My mother couldn't pay her bills and was a danger to herself (i.e. leaving the gas on in the house), but thank God she consented to turn her finances over to her ethical accountant, and, after a lot of work, consented to live in an assisted living facility. 

@augustus had a similar problem and decided to use cameras to keep an eye on an elder relative.

3 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

A huge caveat, along with the caveat of living on a cruise ship  for the rest of your life (which is more expensive, of course), is that Medicare offers no coverage outside the US, so one would presumably have to get some sort of Mexican insurance policy, which could be pricy if one is old and in bad health, or be prepared to pay cash (usually not too bad in Mexico).

As a millennial, I don't count on Medicare being in existence by the time I'm eligible.  It will be depleted, or only available to the poorest in the country by then.  The middle class will be left out, or will be burdened with extra taxes and fees to keep it afloat.

Therefore, I am planning to pay my own way with cash.

3 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

@augustus had a similar problem and decided to use cameras to keep an eye on an elder relative.

Get serious. If you're going to hire people to monitor a demented person 24/7, you might as well hire them to do in-home care, assuming the person consents. And one can't smell the gas left on in the house, nor does it help if the person wanders away from home and can't find the way back. The best cameras can do is to make sure, if one monitors it every few hours, that the person hasn't fallen with inability to get up/gotten unconscious/passed away. 

15 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

As a millennial, I don't count on Medicare being in existence by the time I'm eligible.  It will be depleted, or only available to the poorest in the country by then.  The middle class will be left out, or will be burdened with extra taxes and fees to keep it afloat.

Therefore, I am planning to pay my own way with cash.

Stop worrying. Medicare will still be available. Wasn't there the same concern about social security about thirty years before Medicare?

32 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Get serious. If you're going to hire people to monitor a demented person 24/7, you might as well hire them to do in-home care, assuming the person consents. And one can't smell the gas left on in the house, nor does it help if the person wanders away from home and can't find the way back. The best cameras can do is to make sure, if one monitors it every few hours, that the person hasn't fallen with inability to get up/gotten unconscious/passed away. 

Here's that old thread in case you want to give some serious advice @augustus

Edited by marylander1940

1 minute ago, nycman said:

Yeah, stop worrying.

We don’t seem to have a government that can pay for itself, but
they’re going to "take care" of you. What could possibly go wrong?

Again, people worried about social security, including aid to dependent children. What could go right?

Answer  social security

2 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

we don't seem to take care of our own individual responsibility: obesity, debt, etc. Always so many self inflicted wounds. 

Yet folks still receive monthly assistance from Medicare  and social security 

Wasn't Germany under Bismarck one the first countries to provide these benefits  Yes is the answer. So perhaps stop blaming Only the United States so often

18 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

we don't seem to take care of our own individual responsibility: obesity, debt, etc. Always so many self inflicted wounds. 

People go  into debt because of predatary lending, depressions like 1929,  spouse killed in wartime when a wife is now the breadwinner and the full time mom

Many people would disagree about the characterization of self inflicted wound

24 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

People go  into debt because of predatary lending, depressions like 1929,  spouse killed in wartime when a wife is now the breadwinner and the full time mom

Many people would disagree about the characterization of self inflicted wound

Self-inflicted wounds are not mutually exclusive from wounds caused by other factors.  BOTH of you are correct depending on the individual case.

42 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

Self-inflicted wounds are not mutually exclusive from wounds caused by other factors.  BOTH of you are correct depending on the individual case.

CC debt, bad choices, not matching 401K contributions by employers (as you've mentioned a few times), etc. 

Those things come back to hunt us sooner or later. 

27 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I will save up to pay cash for a hired houseboy, but a sexually-active gay assisted living situation sounds fun as well

Sounds like your Mexican friend (and you) are up to something... 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

back to answering the original question... I'd rather hiring a houseboy/kept man to take care of me. 

I hope I'm not being shallow but if I ever NEED to go to a retirement place I'd rather shoot myself. 

Not directly on subject:

I have been looking at a retirement home for  a while now. Many have one and two bedroom apartment at the highest level of competence.

But, I am far more used to assisted living, or the more common, nursing homes. One of my closest friends had  Parkinson's. I learnedt from him life was still very much worth living dispute   Quite significant challenge 

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

CC debt, bad choices, not matching 401K contributions by employers (as you've mentioned a few times), etc. 

Those things come back to hunt us sooner or later. 

Sounds like your Mexican friend (and you) are up to something... 

spacer.png

Not everyone has 401ks, I think 

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I have been looking at a retirement home for  a while now. Many have one and two bedroom apartment at the highest level of competence.

But, I am far more used to assisted living, or the more common, nursing homes. One of my closest friends had  Parkinson's. I learnedt from him life was still very much worth living dispute   Quite significant challenge 

The important thing is any facility be a continuum of care facility.  That way they can accommodate any of your needs without a major disruption of your life.  Good luck in finding an appropriate place; it is a difficult decision but can actually enrich your life.

4 minutes ago, bigjoey said:

The important thing is any facility be a continuum of care facility.  That way they can accommodate any of your needs without a major disruption of your life.  Good luck in finding an appropriate place; it is a difficult decision but can actually enrich your life.

Yes, @bigjoey, my mom died in the nursing home  part of the continuum of care.  Even though she lived to be 91, there was not much of a celebration. She did immediately realize my dad's relatives mispronounced her maiden  name! of. Dunlop

It is difficult because I am several years young than the average age of  folks who need the least care

11 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Not directly on subject:

I hope you completely change your mind about shooting yourself. They are not nearly as bad as people seem to think.

And anyway, who would post such wonderful photos