Hacks, HBO Max

https://www.hbomax.com/series/urn:hbo:series:GYIBToQrPdotpNQEAAAEa

First off, I'll watch anything with Jean Smart.  She's fucking awesome.

This show was a slow-grow on me.  It didn't bowl me over after the first episode the way something like Ted Lasso did.  It built and developed characters you both love and hate.  Quite like real life, actually.

It's definitely worth a watch.  

• 1 month later...

Jean Smart scored the first standing ovation of the night at Sunday’s 2021 Emmy Awards. However, the veteran actress stopped the crowd in its standing tracks with her moving acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Comedy for “Hacks” on HBO Max.

“I have to acknowledge my late husband, Richard Gilliland, who passed away six months yesterday,” said Smart, 70, who was clad in a sleek black gown with a classic updo. “I would not be here without him — without him putting his career on the back burner so I could take advantage of incredible opportunities.”

The “Designing Women” alum had double the chances to take home a statue, having sparked a “Jeanaissance” and double Emmy nods for her role as an aging Las Vegas standup comedian in “Hacks” — and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, as an overwhelmed cop’s mom in HBO’s “Mare of Easttown” (she scored a a Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie nod — but the trophy went to her co-star Julianne Nicholson). I love Julianne Nicholson!

Smart also shouted out her sons — Connor, 30, and Forrest, 13 — “who are very courageous in their own right, putting up with mommy commuting to Philadelphia and back.”

Her late husband, veteran character actor Gilliland, died at 71 after a brief illness in March. They were married for more than 30 years.

Gilliland got his start at the Goodman School of Drama in Chicago and became a regular presence on the small screen in shows such as “The Waltons,” “Thirtysomething” and “Party of Five” He also played Captain Stan Cotter on “24” and had a recurring role as a serial killer in “Matlock.”

The couple met when Gilliland scored a guest spot on Smart’s hit sitcom “Designing Women.” In 1986, the Fort Worth, Texas, native landed a recurring role on the sitcom as baseball talent scout J. D. Shackelford, the boyfriend of Annie Potts’ Mary Jo Shively.

“I met him when he was kissing someone else,” Smart said during a 2017 interview with Northwest Prime Time, explaining that she quietly asked fellow cast member Delta Burke to find out if Gilliland was on the market. “Naturally, Delta walked up to him and blurted, ‘Jean wants to know if you’re married.’”

Smart said that she and Gilliland instantly hit it off after she “lured” him into her dressing room to help her out with a crossword puzzle. They were married in June 1987 in “Designing Women” cast member Dixie Carter’s rose garden.

Funny show, but comedy is getting way too nice for me.  Shows like Ted Lasso and Hacks where it's clear even the prickliest character hides  a big heart.

Recently, a NYTIMES article from the chief Television Critic outlined the shift from irredeemable characters 21 years ago in the British The Office and the original years of Curb Your Enthusiasm to a more feel-good, of course inclusive, Zillenial-aesthetic.  Oh well.  Part of being older is accepting that the culture is no longer yours.

Edited by Rod Hagen

1 hour ago, Rod Hagen said:

Funny show, but comedy is getting way too nice for me.  Shows like Ted Lasso and Hacks where it's clear even the prickliest character hides  a big heart.

Recently, a NYTIMES article from the chief Television Critic outlined the shift from irredeemable characters 21 years ago in the British The Office and the original years of Curb Your Enthusiasm to a more feel-good, of course inclusive, Zillenial-aesthetic.  Oh well.  Part of being older is accepting that the culture is no longer yours.

Amen. I love my comedy dark. Killing Eve. After Life. Dead To Me. 

I don’t object however, to a little sprinkle of kindness to balance, or add a little sweet *zing* to all the bile. I don’t find it as necessary when it’s a film, but for me, binging on a nonstop parade of people being awful is no different from watching FoxNews all day. 😛

9 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

Part of being older is accepting that the culture is no longer yours.

A show like AbFab could never be made today.  People would shit a brick.

It was brilliant writing.  Saunders dialogue had a real sharp edge.  Her cast delivered it perfectly.

I like Lasso, but it panders to the worst Hallmark sensibilities in all of us. 

I can only enjoy so much feel-good until I want someone to club a baby seal.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, Rod Hagen said:

SUCCESSION will be back next month with not a single heart, big or small, to be found.  I hope that will give you some relief.

• 11 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'll watch anything with Jean Smart.  She's fucking awesome.  This show was a slow-grow on me.  It didn't bowl me over after the first episode. It built and developed characters you both love and hate.  Quite like real life, actually. It's definitely worth a watch.  

On 8/6/2021 at 12:08 AM, jeezifonly said:

I had high hopes for this from the first trailer I saw. Hacks has exceeded all expectations

On 9/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, Rod Hagen said:

Laurie Metcalf won her first guest actress in a comedy Emmy, 28 years after winning her 3rd straight supporting actress Emmy for ROSEANNE.

FXezB6pWIAAnMTB.jpg

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it