Total Members: 9466 Yeah, sure!

Lucky
This topic is 1061 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When the subject of followers and following was being canvassed a little while ago, I checked mine and a lot of the following seemed to have started at the changeover time, so that's likely a glitch in that process. First world problem though! Absolutely no need to 'fix' it.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, Lucky said:

I know that the admins have been busy since @Daddy's death. But soon we might think about clearing out the names of "members" who have long forgotten this place.

Last year I had a conversation  with @Guy Fawkes regarding inactive users and why to keep them as members.

The first reason was the obvious. What if they decided to post or just view. That’s already been mentioned in the previous messages. 

The second reason was spoken as a true businessman. NUMBERS! Yes, the number of members + the number of posts = to the value of the site.

One example being advertising. Not long ago we had a discussion about advertisements  on the message center.  Advertisers check numbers to see if the site generates enough traffic. The better the numbers the more advertisers would be interested. 

Another being classification/rating of the site. Sites fall into categories based on activity. If this still holds true, I think the  owner of the site would check on these numbers regularly. 

So. Happy Birthday to all familiar & unfamiliar members! 

On 6/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, Charlie said:

Deleting posts by someone who is no longer a "member" would certainly free up a lot of room, but it would destroy a lot of useful, interesting and even beloved content; e.g., what would become of the "Friday Funnies," which were started by jackhammer, who has been gone for more than six years? (R.I.P., Ray😢) Some people disappear for long periods, but then return, including Lucky.

I agree.  If for no reason other than nostalgia, I enjoy occasionally looking back at posts from people who are now inactive on this site (for example, old posts about Montreal strip clubs by marc anthony, tampa yankee, et. al.).  Let's leave things as they are.

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

I agree.  If for no reason other than nostalgia, I enjoy occasionally looking back at posts from people who are now inactive on this site (for example, old posts about Montreal strip clubs by marc anthony, tampa yankee, et. al.).  Let's leave things as they are.

And of course, NEW content may not be as interesting, entertaining, or stimulating as the OLD content ?   Seems alot of stuff is being posted these days simply to get "likes"  and is really of little value IMO ?    (in MY opinion, for those getting ready to jump on me)  😏

3 hours ago, Cooper said:

Last year I had a conversation  with @Guy Fawkes regarding inactive users and why to keep them as members.

The first reason was the obvious. What if they decided to post or just view. That’s already been mentioned in the previous messages. 

The second reason was spoken as a true businessman. NUMBERS! Yes, the number of members + the number of posts = to the value of the site.

One example being advertising. Not long ago we had a discussion about advertisements  on the message center.  Advertisers check numbers to see if the site generates enough traffic. The better the numbers the more advertisers would be interested. 

Another being classification/rating of the site. Sites fall into categories based on activity. If this still holds true, I think the  owner of the site would check on these numbers regularly. 

So. Happy Birthday to all familiar & unfamiliar members! 

Like any social media site, the numbers are one of the most important factors driving its success . And what attracts numbers is the content of the site, and how the content keeps refreshing itself. People want to read the latest and we, the active members, provide that input on an almost daily basis. 

Without this activity, people would tend to drop off making as many visits and the site would wither away. 

That being said, there are various reasons people lose interest and become inactive. I was once one myself, which I have mentioned. But as long as there is the possibility they may return or inform others of our existence, I see  usefulness in retaining them if in a separate category at least.