Off-topic. A new icon?

This topic is 1109 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are certain members who like to write posts in strings which are completely off-topic. One wonders where they got the idea to respond in that thread rather than start a new one. I'd love to see an icon to add to the "Ad hominem," "verbose," etc., namely "Off-topic." Even better, it could completely replace the thumbs down icon, which seems rather dumb in my view. If you disagree with someone, at least have the balls to explain why you disagree, rather than posting an icon...

Possible off-topic icons:

_KpfgqadrAte1RsmdS1ovz1iTrjLjX7cepylz7yJb1t6PomReNwWhf3WCzgf2Ib14u2z_EwjWWY7xcCxImbuyHCh1Xx8gKMewgqGuymWnPxp

tenor.gif

JKaliHUfODkpw0z1YoIf6yHTm18_mQ-MYhoraVPmVPUGxaPlCTiw_s67VCMM9vxUDrKh2mychwmI2q1bjmnShe10yCJCcSJOrRfLWsP75X9C

EZb8zmgX0AEuR_K.png

There are certain members who like to write posts in strings which are completely off-topic. One wonders where they got the idea to respond in that thread rather than start a new one. I'd love to see an icon to add to the "Ad hominem," "verbose," etc., namely "Off-topic." Even better, it could completely replace the thumbs down icon, which seems rather dumb in my view. If you disagree with someone, at least have the balls to explain why you disagree, rather than posting an icon...

Possible off-topic icons:

I agree that the ? icon tends to leave the issue hanging and subject to interpretation.

For an "off topic" icon, I would go with the more direct one:

tenor.gif

I like raisins in a box, but don't like raisins baked into bread. Is that odd?

Which one? Liking them in a box or not liking them baked into bread? I would go with liking them in a box is odd as it they become all gooey and matted and generally unpalatable.

My apologies to the OP and other members, but the impish side of me couldn't resist my earlier post.

On topic, I don't mind the occasional detour from a main topic, as the thread trajectory usually rights itself in time. And if it doesn't, a post along the lines of "What's this got to do with the title of this thread?" might nudge it back on course. And if it doesn't, there's always the ignore it solution. So, I'm mainly noncommitted on the subject.