Boy, is Los Angeles County in good shape!

This topic is 768 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 11 months later...

It didn't stay in great shape! Today's LA Times reports:

Since Dec. 1, Southern California has recorded 10,103 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people — the highest of the state’s five regions, according to a Times analysis of data from the California Department of Public Health.

Infection rates were 7,714 per 100,000 people in the Bay Area, 7,341 in the San Joaquin Valley, 6,459 in Greater Sacramento and 4,892 in Northern California, data showed....

...Of California’s 58 counties, L.A. had the highest overall case rate during the Omicron surge. San Diego was third; Imperial, fourth; San Bernardino, eighth; Riverside, ninth; Santa Barbara, 10th; and Ventura, 11th.

These high case rates reflect a staggering number of infections. Combined, the seven Southern California counties tallied 2.1 million new coronavirus cases in the last three and a half months — including 1.2 million in L.A. County alone.

The massive caseload was fueled by Southern California’s testing — the most per capita of any region, The Times’ analysis showed. But experts have long noted that official infection counts are likely to be incomplete, as some people may never get screened or have their results disclosed to public health agencies. Exacerbating that issue is the availability of at-home tests, which were widely used during the Omicron surge but are not reliably reported.

Regardless of the actual count, the sheer enormity of cases had devastating effects throughout the region. More than 7,500 Southern Californians died from COVID-19 — a rate of 32.2 per 100,000 people from Dec. 1 through March 14.https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-18/omicron-deaths-cases-hit-southern-california-hardest-in-state

Riverside County has had a drop in cases by 53% in the last two weeks. A local hospital has no Covid cases in their ICU. That is still a higher rate than last summer.

But, New York City is up 38% in the last two weeks. That suggests, to me, that the European rise is coming this way.

In the meantime, I take comfort that the death rates are down. And I hope that I am wrong about the new wave.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:15 PM, Lucky said:

It didn't stay in great shape! Today's LA Times reports:

Since Dec. 1, Southern California has recorded 10,103 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people — the highest of the state’s five regions, according to a Times analysis of data from the California Department of Public Health......

Regardless of the actual count, the sheer enormity of cases had devastating effects throughout the region. More than 7,500 Southern Californians died from COVID-19 ...

Oh, for Chrissakes, "case" rates are certainly not something to worry over. I'd be surprised if the number of "cases" wasn't 10X that number. I had two sore throats during that time period, probably at least one of which was probably a forme fruste of the virus, but for which I wasn't tested. In fact, the opposite is the truth. If the "cases" are high, but the hospitalization rates are low (which they are), that's a promising sign, because it shows just how benign the virus has become. The population of southern California is almost 25 million. If national statistics apply to those deaths, 98+% of those deaths were from the unvaccinated. In other words, just people who chose to put themselves in harm's way got into trouble, and they lost their bets. It's likely more vaccinated people died of the common cold. 

By now, I'd think most people who aren't complete home-bound recluses have been infected with Omicron. That's actually good news because that means we're getting close to herd immunity, even with the intransigence of the anti-vaxxers, so an overwhelming of the healthcare system is looking increasingly unlikely. 

Enormity of cases? Devastating effects? Get a hold of yourself!

Edited by Unicorn

The statistics just keep getting better:

Covid-CA030622

These are the rates per MILLION, and are for hospitalization only, not ICU or death. Again, these numbers are lower (for the vaccinated) than for the common cold. As comforting as these numbers are, they're even more comforting when we take into account that for this virus, unlike for the common cold, there are now some highly effective medications that make serious illness from this virus even less likely. 

It's nice to be back home now, not having to worry about having to wear or carry masks. 😃 Only couple of bozos in the grocery store still wearing masks today. 

Edited by Unicorn

The WHO recently said that one in four sufferers of COVID go on to having long COVID symptoms sometimes after months after the infection has passed and sometimes severe enough to cause debilitating effects. These people are going to be clogging the health care system for potentially years.

The common cold does not do this to people. COVID causes inflammations to certain organs that can cause lasting damage. It is not to be taken lightly.

15 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

The WHO recently said that one in four sufferers of COVID go on to having long COVID symptoms sometimes after months after the infection has passed and sometimes severe enough to cause debilitating effects. These people are going to be clogging the health care system for potentially years.

The common cold does not do this to people. COVID causes inflammations to certain organs that can cause lasting damage. It is not to be taken lightly.

The new strain (omicron) doesn't seem to do that, because it attaches and reproduces differently (more like other strains of coronavirus). If you're interested in the reference, check out the string in the Men's Health section.