Abercrombie

friendofsheila
This topic is 1046 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From a fashion standpoint, I think A&F also hit the jackpot with the type of clothing that people wanted to wear during the two decades it dominated mall traffic. There was never a day when I didn't see a guy walking around wearing a muscle shirt, slim boot-cut jeans, and leather flip-flops. Add T-shirts with sexual innuendos and colored polos with gigantic logos, and it's not surprising that A&F made a killing.

Around 2010, normcore became the fashion du jour, the complete opposite of A&F's style sensibility. Whereas other mall brands like American Eagle Outfitters, J. Crew, and even Express adapted to this trend, A&F stuck to their guns. It didn't work, and they've been playing catch-up ever since.

Personally, I like the eye candy of A&F during their prime. I'd always stop at their store at my local mall to admire the flip-flopped models and fall in line at their Fifth Avenue store just to check out the muscled greeter. I won't buy anything though—I hate how their clothes fit for my athletic built. My interest disappeared when they went through a makeover. Funny enough, A&F's clothes nowadays are more my speed, but I still won't shop there because I can get the same type of stuff elsewhere.

I never understood the appeal. It was overpriced moderately nice clothing.

The eye candy was nice. No doubt it was hypersexualized and homoerotic.

At the end of the day though, it was cheaper to wander over to the Gaiety

where you could actually touch the abs and then go shopping somewhere nice.

Edited by nycman

I was only ever interested in them for the eye candy. I stained many a catalogue.

Back when they were still an outdoor sporting goods store, their products were used as prizes on "Sale of the Century" in the mid 80s. The two male models, David and Greg, were very attractive and sometimes wore speedos.

• 1 month later...

"In 2005, a class of ethnic/racial minorities and women who argued that promotions were offered disproportionately to white men sued Abercrombie and Fitch. The retailer agreed to a settlement of $40 million with members of the class. Since then individual employees have alleged that the company rates potential sales workers on their looks and offers existing workers more  opportunities if managers rate them higher on a scale of hotness.”

From the Book 'Beauty Pays' by Daniel S. Hamermesh.

Edited by lonely_john

"...company rates potential sales workers on their looks and offers existing workers more  opportunities if managers rate them higher on a scale of hotness."

And the waitresses at Hooters have big tits. So what? It's part of the brand and no brand is to everyone's taste. Hooters certainly isn't to mine, but I don't long to see them all  die.

Why isn't it enough to not shop or patronize a place or business if one doesn't like it, but rather also feel one must seek to destroy it because you find it not to your liking. These are manifestations of a cancel culture mentality where you are welcome only if you unreservedly and completely embrace my views and values. We no longer even pretend to be tolerant of differences and seek only to make the world safe  -not for diversity- but for a conformity of own creation, made in own image and likeness.

Edited by wsc

44 minutes ago, sniper said:

Whatever happened to that insane CEO who was probably banging the models?

Officially, On December 9, 2014, Mike Jeffries stepped down as A&F CEO due to criticism of the company's performance and 11 straight quarters of negative company comparable-store sales. The shares jumped 8 percent after the move was announced, marking the biggest one-day gain in more than nine months. (paraphrased from Bloomberg Businessweek and Fortune)

The real reason is he stood too close to the fireplace and melted. 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

Officially, On December 9, 2014, Mike Jeffries stepped down as A&F CEO due to criticism of the company's performance and 11 straight quarters of negative company comparable-store sales. The shares jumped 8 percent after the move was announced, marking the biggest one-day gain in more than nine months. (paraphrased from Bloomberg Businessweek and Fortune)

The real reason is he stood too close to the fireplace and melted. 

spacer.png

That "before" looks like an "after", especially those Corningware teeth!

The CEO stepping down surely helped but he already made some statements that were no longer welcomed by shoppers. The 90s, when the A&F brand thrived were very forgiving of Political Incorrectness. The 2000s gave birth to a new generation of consumers - Millennials and Younger - who were no longer buying into these unrealistic ideals of beauty. Brands who recognized this and talked to consumers differently, trumped the market. Dove being the best example I can think of.

Edited by lonely_john

• 1 month later...

I don't think the color of the cashier was the focus of Abercrombie. It was a lifestyle store. A lifestyle that blacks were never part of. They also didn't have old people or fat people working there. Those also didn't fit their brand. Same way a seafood restaurant probably doesnt sell burgers.

5 hours ago, sniper said: