"Your new card contains metal, do not shred"

This topic is 1129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've had to replace a couple of compromised cards, and have to figure what to do with the old ones. I guess lately I've just been dumping them in the trash whole. They will definitely jam a shredder, and scissors won't cut them either. I suppose I could burn them? What do you guys do with either expiring or cancelled credit cards which are made of metal?

Edited by Unicorn

I've had to replace a couple of compromised cards, and have to figure what to do with the old ones. I guess lately I've just been dumping them in the trash whole. They will definitely jam a shredder, and scissors won't cut them either. I supposed I could burn them? What do you guys do with either expiring or cancelled credit cards which are made of metal?

I put them in the microwave oven for 20 seconds on high!

(I’m kidding - don’t do that!)

You could burn it in a fire pit or call the number on the back of the card - they will send you a prepaid envelope to return it for recycling.

I've had to replace a couple of compromised cards, and have to figure what to do with the old ones. I guess lately I've just been dumping them in the trash whole. They will definitely jam a shredder, and scissors won't cut them either. I supposed I could burn them? What do you guys do with either expiring or cancelled credit cards which are made of metal?

I wake up and remember I don't have rich people problems.

Chase will shred their premium metal cards in branch.

They make handy winter ice scrapers in the car. I've used mine for that before.

The edge can be sharpened into a fine concealed-in-wallet weapon. (I haven't).

I would not just toss it in the trash. Twice I've tried to dispose of a stack of old cards by putting them in my trash and twice DC police have brought them back to me when found in the trash dump, assuming they were stolen.

Edited by tassojunior

With my metal Amex card, they didn't send an envelope, but in the same vein as that they listed a 'Reply Paid' address to use to send it back to them. That's the standard Australia Post method of doing things. (If they had sent me an envelope, it would have had that address printed on it.)

I've had to replace a couple of compromised cards, and have to figure what to do with the old ones. I guess lately I've just been dumping them in the trash whole. They will definitely jam a shredder, and scissors won't cut them either. I suppose I could burn them? What do you guys do with either expiring or cancelled credit cards which are made of metal?

If it's not expired yet, I put the compromised card in my dummy wallet so in case I get mugged that's the wallet I give them.

blow torch?