For All You (Italian) Coffee Drinkers

TruthBTold
This topic is 1136 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It appears that coffee drinking (3 to 4 cups/day) is associated with both lower risks for heart disease and total mortality, at least in Italians. This means that it is OK to drink that much coffee per day and not risk cardiovascular disease. In other words, it can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Other countries may have already found this out (don't know) but it seems that the Italians have finally found it out. It may be because we (I'm Italian) can be kind of slow when it comes to certain things but we get there sooner or later.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/151/2/395/6056516

Addict alert. Trader Joe's is now selling Illy Forte for $9.99 (cheap). Also Amazon has a 40% off 1st can coupon for subscribe and save taking it as low as $5.50 for 1st can to try on Amazon. Great for drip or press or even diy-cup and for company. Hint of chocolate like Italian Roast in a tiny crema.

Also many on Reddit swear by Ikea's Patar coffee which is cheap at $5.40 for 1.1lb. Much like the Illy above but half the cost. I like the Illy just a tad better but blindfolded probably couldn't pick. Maybe it's the can. Drip and Press are the same grind. A 32oz press gives 3 mugs of coffee, a decent start to the day.

No shortage of caffine.

41QNnIDGC8L.jpgpatar-press-coffee-dark-roast-organic-utz-certified-100-arabica-beans__0582582_PE670751_S5.JPG?f=s

Edited by tassojunior

Addict alert. Trader Joe's is now selling Illy Forte for $9.99 (cheap). Also Amazon has a 40% off 1st can coupon for subscribe and save taking it as low as $5.50 for 1st can to try on Amazon. Great for drip or press or even diy-cup and for company. Hint of chocolate like Italian Roast in a tiny crema.

Also many on Reddit swear by Ikea's Patar coffee which is cheap at $5.40 for 1.1lb. Much like the Illy above but half the cost. I like the Illy just a tad better but blindfolded probably couldn't pick. Maybe it's the can. Drip and Press are the same grind. A 32oz press gives 3 mugs of coffee, a decent start to the day.

No shortage of caffine.

41QNnIDGC8L.jpgpatar-press-coffee-dark-roast-organic-utz-certified-100-arabica-beans__0582582_PE670751_S5.JPG?f=s

Just ordered Illy Forte from Amazon, thanks

No shortage of caffine.

Hey that coffee is great! Thanks @tassojunior !

I have an ethical objection to coffee pods as they are unnecessarily polluting. My usual coffee has been a plunger (US=French press). My sister used to use a pod machine and I used that when I visited despite my reservations. I mean, you need good coffee. Last time I visited she had an automatic machine that you used coffee beans in and it was sublime. I need to buy one. When I do (inshallah) I will buy my coffee beans from a local roaster that I used when they had a shop in the mall years ago and now operates in a less commercial setting.

I have an ethical objection to coffee pods as they are unnecessarily polluting. My usual coffee has been a plunger (US=French press). My sister used to use a pod machine and I used that when I visited despite my reservations. I mean, you need good coffee. Last time I visited she had an automatic machine that you used coffee beans in and it was sublime. I need to buy one. When I do (inshallah) I will buy my coffee beans from a local roaster that I used when they had a shop in the mall years ago and now operates in a less commercial setting.

This is why I recommend this particular company (SF Bay Coffee) for pods. They're commercially compostable.

While I realize they still create a form of waste, they're a lot more environmentally aware than most k-cup producers.

https://sfbaycoffee.com/pages/compostable-faq

My favourite is pure Kona coffee, but I've never seen it in pods... has anyone else?

I use Kona Mountain Coffee (great taste and ships to the mainland)... they sometimes have pods but you can easily get the ground coffee and place in reuseable pods. At least I did that for a while before switching to drip coffee.

https://www.konamountaincoffee.com/collections/coffee

Most Keurig type machines come with a My K-Cup diy which is very easy to fill and use. Usually it and it's adapter are behind a door on side of the machine.I use my 32oz press for 2 or 3 mugs, especially the Illy Forte for the crema, and the My K-Kup for a single, especially Italian or French roast. I do like the pressure brewing and heat of the Keurig type machines for the latter. I have pods for quests if they choose. They're making plenty of compostable pods now too (although none of the SFBays thrill me). I have a couple coffee grinders but have largely given up on them for convenience vs. taste.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG2vOcvSspNNNlVMsZoTHC9FUUvMRI4Sc6BKqglfAFMyxSkTceI92uJodUaF61pIaTEu_Ynx6g2g&usqp=CAc

Edited by tassojunior

@tassojunior, those options are not generally available here. I haven't seen the Keurig machines here at all, although they may be.

If not those diy pods are available everywhere and online easily. Very cheap. The set I pictured is $3.25 shipped on Wish but Amazon, eBay etc full of them too. Very easy to use. Nespresso diy's are a little harder.

My sister's machine has you load beans and water in it and put milk in a carafe, and it dispenses coffee, either with or without hot milk. There are no capsules or anything like that involved.

That said, I haven't found out how much the machine costs! I suspect a lot!

... My usual coffee has been a plunger (US=French press)...

I'm glad you clarified that. As you may know, this is what plunger means in the US:

Plunger_08.jpg

That reminds me of the expression "blowing a fag," which means something quite different in the US vs UK. I'm not sure how Australians would interpret that expression.

The coffee connection to longevity has been known for quite a while, and replicated in lots of studies. Harvard Medical School professor Dr. Sanjiv Chopra summarizes these studies in one of his books, The Big Five. That book discusses the science behind his recommendations for living a longer, healthier life.

the-big-five-book.png

https://sanjivchopra.com/books/the-big-five/

"So what are the five, deceptively simple behaviors every human body needs to thrive? Drink coffee, exercise regularly, add nuts to your diet, make certain you get enough vitamin D, and meditate regularly, even if only for short intervals. Presented by a trusted expert, Five to Thrive includes easily digestible data and startling results from real studies conducted by reputable universities, involving thousands of subjects. Since there isn’t a profit-driven industry supporting these products, many people aren’t aware of the incredible benefits of incorporating them into their lives. Now, readers can see without a doubt that these five things offer many more proven benefits than the latest expensive supplements, fad diets, jazzy exercise programs, and state-of-the-art gym equipment."

I’m a pour over guy, one cup at a time. Roast my own green beans a couple days a week and grind per cup.

I wonder what that would taste like... ?

greenbeans-small.jpg

way, waaayyy back when coffee makers in hotel rooms and lobby coffee were not nearly as common as they are today, my Dad (an airline captain) would carry an immersion heater to use in the room for morning coffee......I think?? he also carried instant coffee packets (yuk)?.......but then he was entirely happy with Carling's Black Label beer, too.....

41%2BsbMIhWSL._AC_SX466_.jpg