For All You (Italian) Coffee Drinkers

TruthBTold
This topic is 1146 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

way, waaayyy back when coffee makers in hotel rooms and lobby coffee were not nearly as common as they are today, my Dad (an airline captain) would carry an immersion heater to use in the room for morning coffee......I think?? he also carried instant coffee packets (yuk)?.......but then he was entirely happy with Carling's Black Label beer, too.....

41%2BsbMIhWSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I’m reminded of this 3 page discussion in the past, that opens with the same image of an immersion heater!

I have an ethical objection to coffee pods as they are unnecessarily polluting. My usual coffee has been a plunger (US=French press). My sister used to use a pod machine and I used that when I visited despite my reservations. I mean, you need good coffee. Last time I visited she had an automatic machine that you used coffee beans in and it was sublime. I need to buy one. When I do (inshallah) I will buy my coffee beans from a local roaster that I used when they had a shop in the mall years ago and now operates in a less commercial setting.

Nespresso has a recycling program. They give you a bag, you fill it, and send it back postage-free. They recycle the aluminum and create compost with the coffee grounds.

It appears that coffee drinking (3 to 4 cups/day) is associated with both lower risks for heart disease and total mortality, at least in Italians. This means that it is OK to drink that much coffee per day and not risk cardiovascular disease. In other words, it can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Other countries may have already found this out (don't know) but it seems that the Italians have finally found it out. It may be because we (I'm Italian) can be kind of slow when it comes to certain things but we get there sooner or later.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/151/2/395/6056516

Im no Italian, but I believe it :p

It appears that coffee drinking (3 to 4 cups/day) is associated with both lower risks for heart disease and total mortality, at least in Italians. This means that it is OK to drink that much coffee per day and not risk cardiovascular disease. In other words, it can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Other countries may have already found this out (don't know) but it seems that the Italians have finally found it out. It may be because we (I'm Italian) can be kind of slow when it comes to certain things but we get there sooner or later.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/151/2/395/6056516

Alert: New thing to worry about: "" Researchers concluded that cafestol is the “most potent cholesterol-elevating compound identified in the human diet.” LINK

The biggest problem now is *Cafestol*.......yes, literally coffee cholesterol. It causes the bad LDL. It comes with coffee that's not filtered, especially coffee press coffee and My K Cups. It not only defeats the benefit of drinking black coffee but makes LDL much worse. Keurig K cups have a hidden paper filter inside the pods. I wrap my plunger in my press with a Mr Coffee type filter and there are actually paper inserts for My K Cups. Of course drip makers and pour-overs are ok.

So wrap that plunger.

Edited by tassojunior

Alert: New thing to worry about: "" Researchers concluded that cafestol is the “most potent cholesterol-elevating compound identified in the human diet.” LINK

The biggest problem now is *Cafestol*.......yes, literally coffee cholesterol. It causes the bad LDL. It comes with coffee that's not filtered, especially coffee press coffee and My K Cups. It not only defeats the benefit of drinking black coffee but makes LDL much worse. Keurig K cups have a hidden paper filter inside the pods. I wrap my plunger in my press with a Mr Coffee type filter and there are actually paper inserts for My K Cups. Of course drip makers and pour-overs are ok.

So wrap that plunger.

Did you actually read the article to which your post was linked? It states:

"There’s no significant connection between coffee and increased risks of heart disease and cancer. Earlier studies that found a link didn’t consider other high-risk behaviors common in coffee drinkers, such as smoking and lack of exercise.

Research has, however, indicated a link between coffee consumption and decreased mortality rate

Coffee has also been associated with protection against diseases such as:

type 2 diabetes

liver disease

Parkinson’s disease

depression"

It does say:

"Studies by a co-author – Dr. Martijn B. Katan of Vriye Univeriteit Amsterdam, Institute for Health Sciences, The Netherlands – indicate that consuming five cups of French press coffee per day (30 milligrams of cafestol) for four weeks raises cholesterol in the blood 6 to 8 percent."

But that's total, not LDL-cholesterol. And not a very significant increase for 5 cups a day. A Mayo Clinic review on LDL-C concludes that saturated fat is the main dietary culprit for increasing LDL-C.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/symptoms-causes/syc-20350800#:~:text=Eating%20saturated%20fat%2C%20found%20in,Obesity.

Most research has pointed to a beneficial effect on coffee and heart disease:

https://www.coffeeandhealth.org/topic-overview/cardiovascular-2/

"Research into coffee consumption and CVD has suggested that a moderate intake of coffee, of around 3-5 cups per day, may reduce CVD mortality risk1-12. Moderate coffee consumption can be defined as 3-5 cups per day, based on the European Food Safety Authority’s review of caffeine safety13.

Specifically in relation to coronary heart disease, many studies suggest a protective effect at intakes of approximately 3-5 cups per day with the association resembling a U-shaped curve7,14,15. Studies reviewing associations between coffee consumption and stroke have suggested that a moderate intake is associated with a reduced risk of stroke, particularly in women16-24."

But it may be that unfiltered coffee is not quite a beneficial as filtered:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/coffee-a-heart-healthy-brew

"Drinking filtered coffee was linked to a 15% lower risk of dying prematurely from any cause, compared with people who drank no coffee. For cardiovascular disease, filtered coffee was linked to a 12% lower risk of death for men and a 20% lower risk of death for women compared with no coffee. Over all, unfiltered coffee was also associated with a slightly lower mortality (4% and 9% in men and women, respectively) compared with no coffee."

So maybe @mike carey may wish to use unbleached biodegradable filters to address his environmental concerns:

"Plain paper coffee filters can go in your backyard compost bin. Plastic, cloth, or plastic-coated coffee filters go into the garbage. To reduce waste, consider buying reusable coffee filters, such as natural fiber filters, or use a french press."

Did you actually read the article to which your post was linked? It states:

"There’s no significant connection between coffee and increased risks of heart disease and cancer. Earlier studies that found a link didn’t consider other high-risk behaviors common in coffee drinkers, such as smoking and lack of exercise.

Research has, however, indicated a link between coffee consumption and decreased mortality rate

Coffee has also been associated with protection against diseases such as:

type 2 diabetes

liver disease

Parkinson’s disease

depression"

It does say:

"Studies by a co-author – Dr. Martijn B. Katan of Vriye Univeriteit Amsterdam, Institute for Health Sciences, The Netherlands – indicate that consuming five cups of French press coffee per day (30 milligrams of cafestol) for four weeks raises cholesterol in the blood 6 to 8 percent."

But that's total, not LDL-cholesterol. And not a very significant increase for 5 cups a day. A Mayo Clinic review on LDL-C concludes that saturated fat is the main dietary culprit for increasing LDL-C.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/symptoms-causes/syc-20350800#:~:text=Eating saturated fat, found in,Obesity.

Most research has pointed to a beneficial effect on coffee and heart disease:

https://www.coffeeandhealth.org/topic-overview/cardiovascular-2/

"Research into coffee consumption and CVD has suggested that a moderate intake of coffee, of around 3-5 cups per day, may reduce CVD mortality risk1-12. Moderate coffee consumption can be defined as 3-5 cups per day, based on the European Food Safety Authority’s review of caffeine safety13.

Specifically in relation to coronary heart disease, many studies suggest a protective effect at intakes of approximately 3-5 cups per day with the association resembling a U-shaped curve7,14,15. Studies reviewing associations between coffee consumption and stroke have suggested that a moderate intake is associated with a reduced risk of stroke, particularly in women16-24."

But it may be that unfiltered coffee is not quite a beneficial as filtered:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/coffee-a-heart-healthy-brew

"Drinking filtered coffee was linked to a 15% lower risk of dying prematurely from any cause, compared with people who drank no coffee. For cardiovascular disease, filtered coffee was linked to a 12% lower risk of death for men and a 20% lower risk of death for women compared with no coffee. Over all, unfiltered coffee was also associated with a slightly lower mortality (4% and 9% in men and women, respectively) compared with no coffee."

So maybe @mike carey may wish to use unbleached biodegradable filters to address his environmental concerns:

"Plain paper coffee filters can go in your backyard compost bin. Plastic, cloth, or plastic-coated coffee filters go into the garbage. To reduce waste, consider buying reusable coffee filters, such as natural fiber filters, or use a french press."

Yes I read the article and a couple others and spoke with my MD. There are so many things that raise LDL that there's no sense in needlessly adding another big one in the form of cafestol when it's so easy to filter most brewing methods of coffee. A regular Mr Coffee paper filter fits fine on a french press plunger and some may want to switch to pour-over with paper filter or drip. (and I never knew that K-Cups had paper filters inside).

I do, at least in the filter coffee maker in my house in Canberra. My other machine has a reusable ultra-fine mesh filter. I don't add a paper or any other filter when I use the coffee plunger (see earlier post for translation into American)., just the mesh in it.

That reminds me of the expression "blowing a fag," which means something quite different in the US vs UK. I'm not sure how Australians would interpret that expression.

If I hadn't heard of the American meaning of 'fag' the expression wouldn't have made sense. 'Blowing' isn't a verb I'd use about a cigarette. 'Suck on a fag' most Australians would interpret as meaning smoking.

My sister's machine has you load beans and water in it and put milk in a carafe, and it dispenses coffee, either with or without hot milk. There are no capsules or anything like that involved.

That said, I haven't found out how much the machine costs! I suspect a lot!

Is it a Jura Machine? I've had one for 15 years and love it. Always fresh and for me nice European style coffee.

Is it a Jura Machine? I've had one for 15 years and love it. Always fresh and for me nice European style coffee.

No, it's a Gaggia. I'll be looking at other brands now I know the sort of things they can do. Thanks for the recommendation on Jura.

My sister's been through a succession of coffee makers, Nespresso, an Aldi brand capsule machine and now this. The local coffee roaster I mentioned was the place we bought coffee when we shared a house in Canberra in the late 70s. (No fancy, or even basic machines then, water boiled in the kettle and poured through a filter funnel into a coffee pot.) They no longer have a shop in the mall, but they still have a shop-front in a light industrial area about 1km away. I'll buy some of their beans to take to her next time I visit.

• 1 month later...

Because of the bad cholesterol in unfiltered coffee I started experimenting. First, common Mr Coffee basket type filters do fit on the plunger in the common 34oz Bodum French press and even with the sides covered with paper it pushes down, although slower. A couple other French presses I have do not move with a filter around the plunger. However, the resulting coffee still has some oil on the top and a couple grounds in the cup.

I bought a Bodum 34oz pour-over with the cork handle from Amazon ($20). It has a "permanent" filter but I also got a 100 pack of Melitta #4 brown cone filters to use ($2). The coffee flows fine with both the built-in and paper filters. Pour-over really isn't too slow and faster than French press in total. The resulting coffee is surprisingly close to the same body and flavor as the French press but has almost no surface oils and no cup grounds. I had expected the French press because of increased exposure time to grounds by the water to be bolder. Surprisingly they were about the same. In addition, the pour-over is much easier to use for just one cup than the French press, meaning the Keurig, with it's enclosed paper filter for bad oils but environmental harm, is used much less.

The French press will be used for low-cholesterol guests and the Keurig for Italian roast or Sumatra roast Starbucks singles (and the Nespresso for lattes). I still like the Ikea French press coffee ($5/lb) and the Illy Forte ($10 per half-pound) best.

11571-109_1172.jpg11571-109_1_.jpg