Favorite Museums

Merboy
This topic is 1191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We lived around the corner from the Museum of Natural History and across the park from The Met....I worked at MOMA when in school and have visited museums in London..Paris..Madrid..Barcelona... Los Angeles and Mexico City...My favorite is The Detroit Institute Of Arts ...It features The largest Diego Rivera mural outside of Mexico. My cousin was head buyer of antiquities in Detroit and was Ann Fords buyer of art for her collection.

We lived around the corner from the Museum of Natural History and across the park from The Met....I worked at MOMA when in school and have visited museums in London..Paris..Madrid..Barcelona... Los Angeles and Mexico City...My favorite is The Detroit Institute Of Arts ...It features The largest Diego Rivera mural outside of Mexico. My cousin was head buyer of antiquities in Detroit and was Ann Fords buyer of art for her collection.

British Museum, Victoria and Albert, British Library Special Collections, and Natural History Museum all in London. Hermitage in St. Petersburg. Field Museum in Chicago. All of the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC. So many good ones out there...

traveled Europe in my mid-30's following an itinerary put together by friends, the top two museums during that trip was Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, the experience was dramatically transformed with the audio guide/tour and Uffizi in Florence, (though I lost count after the thousandth Madonna con bambino)... but as I've aged I find myself returning again and again to the British Museum.

In more out the way places, the Speed Museum in Louisville, Kentucky is wonderful and includes the reassembled great hall of a Tudor-era manor house deconstructed in England and brought to America. I remember being fascinated with that in high school.

Also, The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond is a world-class collection of art in a much less hectic locale than museums in larger cities. I particularly like the Antiquities galleries.

And though not a museum, the architecture and embellishments of the main building of the Library of Congress in DC, is -for me- a transcendent experience, well worth my four visits. Particularly impressive is seeing the remnants of Jefferson's Library, sold to replenish Congress' Library following loss of the original Congressional collection in the War of 1812. To see, but please don't touch, books bought and used by Thomas Jefferson is a spine-tingling experience.

I hope I don’t repeat the excellent choices others have mentioned, but In NYC: I like the Frick, Rubin, Whitney in Manhattan. Noguchi museum in Queens is fantastic. The Storm King Center is also nice for it’s sculptures and a short jaunt from NYC. The Brandywine museum in is also worth checking out for its Wyeth collection.