Just don't put any al-u-minium foil in it...

samhexum
This topic is 1225 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Nigella Lawson’s odd pronunciation of ‘microwave’ drives internet wild

British chef Nigella Lawson’s lush accent is an attention-grabber on this side of the pond, but her affectation may have gotten a little extreme.

In a clip from her BBC series “Nigella’s Cook, Eat, Repeat,” the celebrity chef and “Domestic Goddess” is seen preparing a dish that she proclaims needs “a bit of milk, full fat, which I’ve warmed in the microwave.” But in the video, posted on Twitter, she weirdly pronounces the kitchen appliance as “meek-ro-wah-vay,” seemingly rhyming it with the title of one-hit-wonder Gerardo’s 1990 dance song “Rico Suave.”

“Eternally grateful to Nigella Lawson for letting us know we’ve all been mispronouncing microwave for the last 50 (or so) years,” wrote one tweeter of her playful pronunciation, as befuddled feedback boiled over on social media.

“I feel embarrassed,” agreed one commenter, adding, “been pronouncing it wrong this whole time,” while another said they would “vow to never say it correctly ever again,” adding in a trio of crying-laughing emojis. One commenter simply confessed, “Why did I know she’d pronounce it this way? I do it for s–ts and giggles.” A fan offered that Lawson was “mucking about” and “mispronouncing words” on purpose and offered that they do it, too, saying, “In my world things can be hilariable and this is a large animal called a hippopoterous.”

Another respondent also appreciated the way it sounded, writing, “I love this, we deliberately mispronounce words in our house all the time. Such fun” — to which Lawson herself replied, “We do, too. Exactly that.”

Whether the cookbook author was just having some half-baked fun or did indeed have a verbal faux pas, it was hardly the biggest scandal that Lawson, 60, has stirred up.

Just last month she offered fans a hilarious, two-step process for making buttered toast that would be “lovely and hot.” Things were even hotter in 2013 when she was forced to testify about her admitted drug use during the trial of two former aides accused of stealing from her and her ex-husband, Charles Saatchi.