Rate Your Level of Paranoia

jtwalker
This topic is 1133 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How hard do you try to remain DL? What is your level of Paranoia on a 10 point scale?

For Context, lets say...

Level 1 - Used their real name, email and phone number to sign up for RM using their normal credit card and even created a profile with pictures.

Level 10 - You don't hire unless you're traveling a minimum of 500 miles from home, even then you book a second room to host and lock your ID in the safe. You bought a burner phone with cash for communication, where you installed VPN and Google Voice for added security. You use gmail, google voice and Bitcoin to sign up for RM where you have a private profile. You like the Covid Masks so much, you don't take them off during the encounter, and you smash your burner phone after each transaction.

Does RM = rentmasseur?

What drives your paranoia?

Internalized homophobia?

Cheating on the spouse?

Identity theft?

I'd score the same as for my other profiles in the cloud.

Cops, Scammers, or anything else you stated... Does it really matter? This is not exactly a hobby without risks.

• 4 months later...

I haven't created an account on Rentmen or any site that requires a credit card, so I guess I have to say 2. It isn't like I give my last name to everyone I hire, but I use my first name. My address and phone number could also be used to find my last name, I suppose, if someone were so inclined. Maybe I should have been more "paranoid" over the past 25 years or so that I've hired, but apart from one time where I called a phone number that got forwarded to police dispatch (after which the "advertiser" called me from a blocked number to warn me that I shouldn't be hiring) I've never had trouble with anyone.

4 when traveling, 7 when at home.

Normally cash, I’ve paid via app once. Usually google voice, and I prefer to travel when home but I’ve hosted a couple of times. I will cover transportation when it makes sense, but I’ve used my own Uber account just once.

I found I’m far more selective/paranoid in who I’ll have to my house in a regular neighborhood vs when I lived in a gated community.

Level 3.

I'm leary of crazy estranged family members finding my profile, catfishing me, finding out where I'll be, and putting me in an unsafe situation. And I'm only reacting that way from past history in my family. Plus, who knows how this online information will be used in 40 years.

In person, I'll give my real name, real job, real address. I have nothing to hide. But online, it needs to be anonymous or at least not visible to search engines.

1-2

I met my first hire at Rounds in New York, and invited him to my apartment a week later. He was a college student from Long Island who looked very much like Scott Baio.

A week later we went to the US Open Tennis Tournament in New York. Lucky we saw Jimmy Corners play and later Boris Becker

Edited by WilliamM

I'm probably a 5. I have a separate number, a refillable debit card linked to an alter-Venmo, I don't hire locally, and I'm not on social media in my real life (not due to my hiring; I was never into them to begin with).

Every now and then, though, I slip up (my Macbook one time went to sleep and displayed my name in its idle screen for a good 10 minutes—I didn't notice because my back was turned against it) or I let my guard down especially when I'm vibing with someone.